Romelu Lukaku's Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Fellaini isn't British and he went for 27m. The thing we have going for us is that Chelsea are not going to want a 21-year-old striker leading their line in CL and in a PL title hunt. To Chelsea, he is expendable. Perhaps if we can get business done early in the summer we can get him for 20m+ add-ons. I just worry he will be priced out of our range, especially when we need to add squad depth.

Agree Lukaku is expendable to Chelsea. just like Sturridge was to Chelsea and indeed City, the moneybags clubs can take gambles on £25m players, we on the otherhand can't raise 30m for a new stadium so anybody thinking we will lump out 25 for big Rom is in for a disappointment i fear. Hope im wrong but i think the Spuds just sign him, it's what they do.

Agree Lukaku is expendable to Chelsea. just like Sturridge was to Chelsea and indeed City, the moneybags clubs can take gambles on £25m players, we on the otherhand can't raise 30m for a new stadium so anybody thinking we will lump out 25 for big Rom is in for a disappointment i fear. Hope im wrong but i think the Spuds just sign him, it's what they do.
Have I missed something? Where did people get the idea we need to raise only 30 million for a new stadium and we can't do that?

Not sure on the stadium but, but reality is if we throw 25m at Lukaku and Spurs want him, they toss 35 and it's a done deal. Is he worth that? No. But neither were the 900m other signings they made last summer; they have the cash and will get their guy. Hope I'm wrong for sure!

Think Lukaku qualifies as "homegrown" under the premier league rules next year as he joined chelsea in august 2011 and he is 21 on today 13th May (Happy birthday Rom).

Depends on when seasons officially start and end but think he fits this unless I have my calcs horrendously wrong.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/features/home-grown-quota-for-premier-league.html
"A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)."

If he does qualify as homegrown it's not quite the same thing as the " English premium"but with the FA threatening to tighten foreign player rules and the proposed FFP sactions for City think it adds soemthing to his price, especially for those clubs like City & Chelsea who don't have many homegrown players.

Interesting points mate, but to counter argue on that score, this would also presumably 'lower' his value on the continent as he would classify as a foreign player their, so less competition from abroad and greater from home for his signature is how it would roughly translate, with Chelsea probably being unwilling to deal with Spurs, Arsenal and the rs i would imagine balance the fee out they demand i guess.

I think the increased price for homegrown players is less to do with the homegrown rule and its hard to explain why except i guess it removes all risk of them not adjusting tho the league, the language or culture etc, theirs probably a host of other things that factor in to raise the price that i can't think of atm as well, but its something that's been in the game since i can remember really (post wave of foreign imports at least)

Maybe its that some clubs seem to place a premium on having 'English' players and are willing to pay over the odds for the PR factor or they think it adds something to the grit of the squad to have them their or something, honestly baffles me as to why, but on the other hand i actually pride myself on the fact that at our heart we have players from Britain - and hell I'm not even patriotic in the least really

One thing i am sure of mate is that he will not be getting sold to spurs, Chelsea won't sell them a bean mate, not since Spurs refused to allow Modric to go to Chelsea a few years back when they tried to buy him, hell they even went out their way to buy William this season primarily to [Poor language removed] over Spurs

Similar reason he won't sell Arsenal or Liverpool either due to the amount of animosity between them especially so this season.

Chelsea and more specifically a Mourinho Chelsea are a club who will hold a grudge mate (much like United and the rs will never sell to each other, Heinze probably being the biggest example of this)

still not quite sure how they got away with that

Wasn't it apparently a verbal agreement to allow him to leave and not a written one mate, thus the rs just simply denied it being a binding agreement and obfuscated about what the conditions actually were or some such

Interesting points mate, but to counter argue on that score, this would also presumably 'lower' his value on the continent as he would classify as a foreign player their, so less competition from abroad and greater from home for his signature is how it would roughly translate, with Chelsea probably being unwilling to deal with Spurs, Arsenal and the rs i would imagine balance the fee out they demand i guess.

I think the increased price for homegrown players is less to do with the homegrown rule and its hard to explain why except i guess it removes all risk of them not adjusting tho the league, the language or culture etc, theirs probably a host of other things that factor in to raise the price that i can't think of atm as well, but its something that's been in the game since i can remember really (post wave of foreign imports at least)

Maybe its that some clubs seem to place a premium on having 'English' players and are willing to pay over the odds for the PR factor or they think it adds something to the grit of the squad to have them their or something, honestly baffles me as to why, but on the other hand i actually pride myself on the fact that at our heart we have players from Britain - and hell I'm not even patriotic in the least really
I think this is the key bit combined with how keen Lukaku is to be the undisputed #1. As you say Lukaku's potential homegrown status on sale is only valuable to teams that Chelsea are unlikely to sell to (thank goodness for Mourinho's grudges!)

However if Chelsea lose many of Terry/Cole/Lampard/Bertrand/Moses they are actually in a bit of trouble squad wise for those that qualify for homegrown - Cahill would be the only one left. The obvious solution is that Lukaku is the 2nd striker behind say Costa but not sure he would be OK with that arrangement.

Just hoping your theory of a deal being already arranged is true!

I think Chelsea will buy another forward this summer as well, I highly doubt Lukaku will find it acceptable to go from first choice all season to being a #3 striker where he might make 10 starts for chelsea next season.

Wasn't it apparently a verbal agreement to allow him to leave and not a written one mate, thus the rs just simply denied it being a binding agreement and obfuscated about what the conditions actually were or some such

Henry said in the papers that he felt taht Players dont respect contracts, so why should he................. That sounds to me nailed on as a written agreement.

I still to this day dont know how they got away without a points deduction after being sold by the bank to the cost of their debts..........

After saying recently that he's nowhere near 20m I think I was just frustrated like a lot of blues including probably Lukaku himself. Sometimes his hold up play is jarg like but I forget he's only 20!

33 goals in the last 2 seasons in the premier league, on loan, is a quality record and if we bought him and made him feel like he was truly wanted and told he was our main big boss man (with Barkley) then I think we could have a regular top four team over the next few seasons. Deffo

Him and an unknown Mexican chap for 500k who can head the ball like Cahill and we'll be chuffed

Status
Not open for further replies.