Roberto's hour long interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some people don't care about that stuff, but I enjoy it. And it deepens my knowledge, therefore deepening my love for the game. For me they go hand in hand.
Completely agree. Just wanted to say - whisper it quietly - for any intelligent viewer these things are so engaging. I think in this country there is a real distinct separation between education and sports for whatever reason in this country. I don't know what they do in the likes of Spain, but there footballers always seem so much better rounded, better spoken, better integrated and just generally more modest and likeable players. I think in America you have a tonne of scholarships to colleges handed out to sportspeople, there isn't the kind of separation we have here.

Certainly for footballers, that maturity be it educational and most importantly just through life is taken away because they are pampered and fawned over and taken away from the natural environment in which young people learn and grow up. I agree completely with what Martinez says when it comes to that 18-21 development, I think other countries definitely focus on developing the lives of these players whilst we are more focused on blossoming some prima donna egos, and then just a few good ones slip through.

And as these are the managers of the future, who I think are still the kind of immature self-involved kids by the time they retire at 34, 35 that they just don't have the capabilities required to be good managers which is possibly why we as a country seem to be lacking in quality, innovative managers. I don't know if it's all just me talking sh*t, it's just how I feel about it. No idea how to address it, of course.

.....fantastic, little Eggs put me onto it from Dubai. Very impressive, RM and Everton FC are a perfect storm. I'm older than most on here and the club has that same feel as mid 80s, not getting carried away but happy in our own skin.

Completely agree. Just wanted to say - whisper it quietly - for any intelligent viewer these things are so engaging. I think in this country there is a real distinct separation between education and sports for whatever reason in this country. I don't know what they do in the likes of Spain, but there footballers always seem so much better rounded, better spoken, better integrated and just generally more modest and likeable players. I think in America you have a tonne of scholarships to colleges handed out to sportspeople, there isn't the kind of separation we have here.

Certainly for footballers, that maturity be it educational and most importantly just through life is taken away because they are pampered and fawned over and taken away from the natural environment in which young people learn and grow up. I agree completely with what Martinez says when it comes to that 18-21 development, I think other countries definitely focus on developing the lives of these players whilst we are more focused on blossoming some prima donna egos, and then just a few good ones slip through.

And as these are the managers of the future, who I think are still the kind of immature self-involved kids by the time they retire at 34, 35 that they just don't have the capabilities required to be good managers which is possibly why we as a country seem to be lacking in quality, innovative managers. I don't know if it's all just me talking sh*t, it's just how I feel about it. No idea how to address it, of course.

Most American footballers you see in Europe went to University because that's how we've always done it here. It works in our sports, but college soccer is not ideal for developing pros for a variety of reasons. Also soccer players here aren't fawned over like they are there, and like we do for say basketball prodigies. So they tend to be educated, hard working and fairly humble.

The 18-21 problem RM spoke about is a real problem to be solved for English clubs. I like the Spanish model of B teams playing in the lower leagues, but that flies in the face of 130 years of tradition in England. In this country the college sports system solves that problem by giving football and basketball players highly competitive games under the microscope (college sports are just as big over here as the pro leagues for many people, if not more), and filters out the future pros from the merely good.

He just comes across as a bloody nice guy. Aside from that he is obviously football through and through and I think that has helped foster a bond with us. Its still early days but all the signs are that good times are coming back.

You make some really interesting points and I strongly agree, especially with the separation of footballers from the environment in which young people learn and grow, and the likely effect of their environment on the missing capabilities to become good managers.

I've always thought that's weird as well, the secrecy of playing styles and strategies. I think British football in general bunkered down a little bit in the past few decades. For some reason talking tactics became unfashionable, despite the vast majority of the basic ideas that everybody uses originating here. Even now it's seen as a bit fancy and some managers try to make it seem revolutionary. It's changing very slowly on the TV coverage, now and then they do actually discuss things in a bit more depth than, "again, he's creating space with his run". And there are far more websites devoted to tactics than there used to be.

In the interview tho, Roberto still wouldn't say what the three things that went wrong for the Sunderland penalty were. Obviously you don't want to give anything away so it's understandable regardless, but I think some managers, even in the Premier League, are so stuck in their ways that they won't bother to try to work out how the opposition plays in any particular detail.

Pretty certain it was,

Howard should not have passed to Osman with their lad coming up on him
Osman mis-controlled the ball out of panic
Howard takes him down

I love how he talks about our youth team, really gives you hope for the future.

I think he is excited at the prospect of doing a Wenger (but properly, not poaching all of your youth players from other teams) and spending as little money as possible on transfers where youth can come in and do a job.

Hopefully he's thinking more along the lines of Bayern Munich :D

I'm going to put the kids to bed later then lie down with my earphones in for some uninterrupted Roberto.

As others have said before, he just GETS it! Great opportunity to listen to his opinions and ideas for the future and so proud that he's our manager and the club is - mostly anyway - in his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.