RIP Judith Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the opening line of “We’re on our way to Wembley…” is a bit of a giveaway!

My abiding memory of this song was on the way to the 1966 cup final. We were in the motorway services, I think it was Watford Gap, at about 4am, the place was absolutely chocker with mostly Evertonian, but, a few Wednesday fans as well. A man and woman came in and she had one of the early portable record players with her, as we were sitting drinking our tea we heard that familiar dum Der dum dum dum dum, intro to the song and within seconds the place was bouncing with blues singing we shall not be moved. Sadly, all the family members I was with that day are gone now, but, it made me chuckle thinking of it, and them.

I always associate it with the FA Cup and I think it was adopted during the 66 Cup run as that’s when it was released.
It always gets an airing during our FA Cup games in the present day but as we tend not to progress then it feels a rarity!
We used it for years after that, it was our song/anthem v YNWL always played & played & sung by the Gwladys street end in full voice before kick off ...
When I went to away games, it was our main anthem on the away terraces.....

I always associate it with the FA Cup and I think it was adopted during the 66 Cup run as that’s when it was released.
It always gets an airing during our FA Cup games in the present day but as we tend not to progress then it feels a rarity!
Yes this song always brings our 1966 cup run and win to mind, seems amazing it was well over fifty years ago, another time from long ago always well worth visiting.

Aside from the song, was there any other link to Everton? Was she a fan?

I remember I lost my mind when The Corrs were listed as Everton fans. I subsequently found out their uncle played for us :eek:
Yes Peter Corr outside right in Everton’s team when I first started watching them,I think he also played in the famous Eire team that beat England 2-0 at Goodison Park in the late 1940’s when Peter Farrell, another Everton player, scored one of the goals.

loved the Seekers when my dad put an album on growing up. It was those gentle melodies beautifully sung that probably opened the door to my love of folk music. It was this kind of music, together with Simon.on and Garfunkel and Jethro Tull that got me through the musical hell that was the 80s.
Too bloody right mate.

There was a documentary fairly recently, the background to them all getting back together for a live concert, celebrating 50 years or something like that.
They fell out with her when she left.
It's worth a watch if you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.