Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because right now, if we stay up, we have to raise around £50m just to stay within PL P&S rules.

The EFL rules are much, much tighter. I thought it was a £50m loss over three years but in the Championship it's £39m over a three-year cycle.

Everton are operating right now having lost what, £120m?

Everton are hugely reliant on the TV money to keep going. That's what pays the wages etc. We have a huge, huge wage bill and a lot of the players won't have relegation clauses so we will have to sell those players way below market value and odds on would have to loan the likes of Gomes out as there simply won't be buyers given his wages.

The PL TV money will go. The parachute payment will cover some of it but hardly enough.

And we'd have to somehow get a whole new squad together that would be good enough to get out of that league?

I'm sorry, it'd be horrendous.
I don’t think anyone is under any illusions about the devastating impact relegation would have on us.

If we somehow survived financially we certainly wouldn’t be coming back as soon as Leeds did. It would be more like 30 years.

Sunday is crucial. Perhaps the most important game in our club’s history.

Liverpool with a record breaking crypto shirt sponsor next season. Whereas we turned down crypto sleeve sponsors for ethical reasons despite being on the brink of financial ruin. This board don't want a competitive football club, they want a nice guy charity.

our guy Dan Mies projects include the Crypto.com Arena (previously the Staples Center). It's a given that the new stadium will have such a name.

Leeds has time before they finally sunk. So many top earners had time to jump ship and they could line assets up to be sold well ahead of time. They accepted what was happening and planned for it.

We have none of the above. We have 2 players you could call assets but can't sell them now because we need to keep them focused. The rest as you say is high earners that aren't assets. Giving them away helps us but to whom?

Plus the financial situation we are in doesn't make recruiting easy , we need a calibre of player who would be too good for the championship but not good enough to expect to be playing in the prem. Where do you start there? And to do it 10-12 times successfully? Plus the element of paying them more than championship average doesn't help.
Sadly you are right. We wouldn’t be in the same situation that Leeds were in when they went down in the early 2000s.

Things would be much worse.

Relegation is unthinkable.

Serious question - did you watch Leeds play tonight? In case you didn't, they were dreadful. They now face arguably the best team in Europe, a team who are hunting down 4th and a superior side who despise them from a rivalry spanning over 50 years. I.e., Leeds lose their next three games.
Leeds are abysmal and their mediocrity represents a great chance for us.

But ultimately if we don’t start picking up wins their mediocrity counts for nothing. If lose all our remaining games we’re down. It’s as simple as that.

We must beat Chelsea on Sunday. And it’s feasible - they just lost to Brentford. The crowd really had to be up for it, though.

If we did go down I cant see financial issues being a big problem, big players will be sold and we will buy cheaper players and use younger players already here, we won’t need PL quality players in the championship. Some contracts are up for some players so they will be gone. We would lose PL and TV money but I think we would be fine and financially it would sort us out to a degree, as we would be rid of the high earner that don’t seem to ever perform and we are finding hard to get rid of. We stay up lots of them wil stay, obviously I want us to stay up but our transfer strategy will have to be very very sensible.
Are you serious? Losing almost all our revenue streams would “sort us out”? It’s like me losing my job and saying to my missus “It’ll sort us out.” How do we then pay the bills?

You say that we’ll be able to get rid of the lads who don’t perform for us but who would buy them? And who would be willing to pay them what we’re paying them right now? They won’t take a big pay cut to do us a favour. They’ll stay and keep collecting their big salaries.

A few might leave. Our very best stars. Richarlison has been linked with a £15million move to Newcastle if we go down (relegated teams can’t command big fees for their players because everyone knows they’re desperate), but which other players would be regarded as desirable by PL clubs? Maybe Pickford. Maybe a couple of others. That’s about it.

Relegation would spell financial ruin. Even if we manage to offload our top stars we will still be left with one of the biggest wage budgets in the country.

Sorry, I just can’t comprehend your logic. And you’re usually an excellent poster on here.

Liverpool with a record breaking crypto shirt sponsor next season. Whereas we turned down crypto sleeve sponsors for ethical reasons despite being on the brink of financial ruin. This board don't want a competitive football club, they want a nice guy charity.
If we sell our identity to beat them, we have already lost. We will never, ever beat them playing their game.

What is offensive to so many is that the players are not fighting our way. Money and power can be countered with heart, courage, vision and aggression. The knock on Moyes was always the lack of the latter two. What we're seeing in the table speaks to the difference between half of the footballing virtues, and none at all.

There was no way we were going to catch Leeds, they're now 5 points ahead with 5 games to go. They are safe if they win 1 of those 5.

True they might go on a bad run vs city, arsenal, chelsea... but both Brighton and Brentford will be in holiday mode. I think Leeds can definitely beat Brighton at home to stay up.

Also if I was Brighton and had the choice to send Everton or Leeds down, I bet they would absolutely send Everton down. Heck maybe Burnley and Leeds opponents will start to lose games just to do this. I would not put it past Oligarchs to collude to send another Oligarch down.

If we did go down I cant see financial issues being a big problem, big players will be sold and we will buy cheaper players and use younger players already here, we won’t need PL quality players in the championship. Some contracts are up for some players so they will be gone. We would lose PL and TV money but I think we would be fine and financially it would sort us out to a degree, as we would be rid of the high earner that don’t seem to ever perform and we are finding hard to get rid of. We stay up lots of them wil stay, obviously I want us to stay up but our transfer strategy will have to be very very sensible.

It's called a firesale. Rather than selling Richarlison for 50m pounds, he would go for 25m because people know has has to go to stay within the rules.

You need leverage, the idea that you will not sell for any price, basically what Swansea did to us for Siggy.

If Burnley beat Watford (puts them on 34 points), I believe there's genuinely a collusion opportunity for both Aston Villa and Burnley who have two games and 6 points up for grabs.

One way they could do it is to split the points evenly putting Burnley on 37 points, and Villa 40.

Or if Burnley really need all 6 points, they will pay for it in some other way.

I don't know maybe some people would be shocked at me saying there's corruption, I'm just not shocked about anything anymore.

Maybe in my mid 50’s I’ve mellowed, but relegation will be the start of rebuilding the club on and off the pitch. We’ve been left behind by so many of our peers.
Rebuilding with what? How do you rebuild when you’re best players have left, you have dead wood on top Dollar and you have no money?

Watch out for Leeds vs Chelsea a few days before the FA Cup final for a potential fly in the ointment type of result.

Rebuilding with what? How do you rebuild when you’re best players have left, you have dead wood on top Dollar and you have no money?
- Time out of the spotlight to regroup.
- Playing in the Cshp forces Moshiri and the board out of their complacency.
- Lampard (presuming he stays) would be an attractive manager for the better younger players/honest journeyman that could get us back.
- Playing for Everton would be an attractive club for the better younger players/honest journeymen.

Maybe it won't happen straight away, but off the top of my head, those factors are in our favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.