Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the end of Pompey as we know them. I’ve just looked them up and their average attendance is now 12,000. I remember them getting 30,000 regularly in the Prem. Charlton are the same. I had no idea those clubs still even existed. My boy has never even heard of them.

The children of the future are not going to support a team they’ve never heard of.

Leeds aren’t a brilliant example because they were in the lower leagues for almost two decades and nearly went out of existence.
Hmm... Fratton Park only holds 21k to be fair

I don’t think people have grasped how serious relegation would be. Some have said “oh it’ll enable us to rebuild and get rid of our dead wood.” Who wants to sign dead wood (who are on top Dollar by the way) from a team that’s just been relegated? Possibly a League One one club. But why would our dead wood agree to play for a League One club for about £5k a week? The dead wood will stay and continue taking their massive money.

The only ones who will go are Richarlison, Gordon, Branthwaite and anyone else who’s any good - and they’ll go for a pittance because everyone will know how desperate we’ll be to get the wage bill down. There’s talk of Newcastle being interested in Richarlison for £15million. Fifteen million!

One thing I realised earlier was how much smaller as a club we will be and now diminished our fan base will be if we go down. Earlier I said to my young son, who knows his onions when it comes to top-flight football “We might be playing Sheffield United if we go down. My first game was Sheffield United.” My lad had never heard of them. And why would he have heard of them? When was the last time you saw a championship game on the telly or saw the top pundits even mention the championship? The deluded reds are fond of singing “the city’s all ours.” Well it will be if we go down. The questions is will we do a Leeds or a Forest or a Sheffield Wednesday, or will it be much worse because we’re so heavily indebted and are making such huge losses?
Sheffield United were in the Premier League last season. Your lad has never heard of them?

Don't worry, we'll have lots of posters saying we should play for a draw because Burnley won't pick up another point.

Reality is we need 3 wins and only way we are likely to get them is at Goodison. No one is coming to save us.
Agreed. We MUST win the 3 home games to have a decent chance.

Goodison must be like a bear pit.

I have not had any enjoyment out of football for several years. I’m stuck because I became a fan in the seventies. My children don't care in the slightest about football. Everton offer no interest or enjoyment at all to them.

I live in Liverpool and I my experience tells me that 27 years of nothing means that Everton’s youth support is massively diminished. My son is the only Evertonian in his class and he doesn’t care for them. The club is headed into oblivion.

I don’t believe this is a isolated example. Football is now ultra capitalist with punishing penalties for failure that are literally forcing clubs into destruction. We are well on that path.

The PL has created a top six or seven and the rest are no marks just there to pretend it’s a competition. Clubs of our size are in a twilight zone. Not big enough to challenge but forced to spend to try and meet unachievable fan expectation.

We need a rethink. Liverpool and City have won and we are the forever losers. Capitalism ultimately always ends up with a few ultimate victors and many failiers. It concentrates the power with the victors. We’ve joined the growing pile of failures. There is no way back to where we used to be. We are Kodak.
There's no Instagram without Kodak. No Uber without taxis. No Google without Alta Vista. - I don't inherently disagree with the general, much-wider points you're getting at (perhaps it's a generational thing) but Leicester aren't crying about the "Prem cartel". They won the damn thing. Were best of the rest until this season (so far). They probably view 10th as setback/failure when they should be 5th, banging on the UCL door......

.......and yet, only a few years ago they were nothing more than a plucky 2nd division team that occassionally got themselves into the top tier for 38 nice days out at worst and 38 shots at progression at best.

I'm not taking anything away from your point of view - I fully understand being disillusioned (and again: not saying its right or wrong, its each persons feeling); and we all know the Super League "collapse" is nothing more than a temporary set back. Nation states are buying clubs, or billionaire Yanks who see a portfolio but couldn't tell you anything about soccerball. Again, entertainment tv - but this club plays it's part. They all do. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Financial Armageddon is not something to be dismissed.

It led to Bury FC going out of existence.
I was not dismissing it. I'm well aware of our accounts. I've said a number of times we could quite quickly be the EFL's "new example" and be punished with Derby-esque penalties.

Believe me, the finance situation is not one I gloss over or dismiss on the "hope" we get another year of the £100+ mil of Prem money.

If we get relegated (and it's still in our own hands), it won't be because we lost 2-0 at the cesspit or because we didn't get a penalty against Citeh.
It'll be down to losing 5-2 at home to Watford, spineless performances at Norwich and Brentford, and constantly going a goal down before we decide to start playing.
This is easily the worst Everton team in a generation and whether we stay up or go down, half the squad needs to be moved on, even if it means making a loss on them.
Having said that...
COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!

The fact is we are relying on Burnley’s results taking a turn for the worse to even have a hope of staying up now. And that only offers us a hope, whether we take the opportunity or not is another matter entirely. We were handed an opportunity to move clear last week and Richarlison missed two open goals against Leicester.
We've had 32 "opportunities" to be in control of our own fate with regards to being in the richest league in the world (pressumably Moshiri's No1 concern). We've failed miserably at it.

Imagine having NSNO on your badge and being reliant on what f--king Burnley do. Jesus wept.

There's no Instagram without Kodak. No Uber without taxis. No Google without Alta Vista. - I don't inherently disagree with the general, much-wider points you're getting at (perhaps it's a generational thing) but Leicester aren't crying about the "Prem cartel". They won the damn thing. Were best of the rest until this season (so far). They probably view 10th as setback/failure when they should be 5th, banging on the UCL door......

.......and yet, only a few years ago they were nothing more than a plucky 2nd division team that occassionally got themselves into the top tier for 38 nice days out at worst and 38 shots at progression at best.

I'm not taking anything away from your point of view - I fully understand being disillusioned (and again: not saying its right or wrong, its each persons feeling); and we all know the Super League "collapse" is nothing more than a temporary set back. Nation states are buying clubs, or billionaire Yanks who see a portfolio but couldn't tell you anything about soccerball. Again, entertainment tv - but this club plays it's part. They all do. Let's not pretend otherwise.
Leicester are the exception.

Each ten years of the PL has seen fewer teams winning trophies. The PL has reduced the range of clubs winning anything in football. The European money has massively accelerated it.

We lost our place in the big five and now we have lost our place in the top league. There is no way back now. We are also rans. We have lost our status.

Anyway, I console myself with the fact that foot all is so poisonous that I am better off without it.

@Bluestar
@Colonel Getafe

I think a lot of fans of the "other 14" clubs are starting to twig onto the farce that the PL is becoming.

I think the UEFA new rules from 2024 will be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak - you already have
Crystal Palace chairman firing shots at UEFA, clubs owned by mega wealthy people like Newcastle and Villa surely wont be happy to continue being also rans with the amount of money they are pumping in whilst Man Utd can gain entry into the CL finishing 10th.

Add in the ESL lot will be tweaking their plans in order for it to become acceptable before they inevitably are allowed to break free which would spell the end for the TV money in this league and UEFA's prominence in general.

I think in the next 5-10 years we'll see either the collapse of football or major upheaval from monied clubs outside the elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.