Relegation 23/24 Thread

The squad will continue to be not ready because we've invested poorly.

We can't afford to 'give away' the first few games of the season because we've survived by the skin of our teeth for the past 2 and have a weaker squad. These games are important because you don't want to go into games against City, Arsenal etc needing to pick up points.

You don't go into a season intentionally unprepared. Injuries are a reality that every team faces, most teams can compensate, we can't.
I disagree...the squad was a lot weaker last year, especially in the second half of the season...

We desperately need to get some goals against Doncaster to go into the Sheffield utd game with.

Said this to my mate before not a crappy 1-0 win we need a 4 or 5-0 win at Doncaster to gain confidence and belief that we can score goals but I don't think we're even capable of that against lower league opposition haha

I disagree...the squad was a lot weaker last year, especially in the second half of the season...

Surely not at the back? Keane feck ups and you had at least Mina and Coady to come in for the last month and play their part in clean sheets and solid defensive performances home and away.

Coleman was also o.k for last few months.

Branthwaite did fine today so hopefully he stays in but very early to judge him at prem level until he's had a couple of months of starts.

Myko v Young has been pretty much par in averageness....some chronic set piece delivery by Young today which shows the severe limitations in signing a 38 year old and making him first choice.

Said this to my mate before not a crappy 1-0 win we need a 4 or 5-0 win at Doncaster to gain confidence and belief that we can score goals but I don't think we're even capable of that against lower league opposition haha
Agreed mate, it would hopefully give the players the belief in the decent stuff they did today aswell. It's probably hard not to feel like the everything is against them after today.

Beto Danjuma
McNeil Garner Onana Harrison
Mykolenko Branthwaite Tark Young
Pickford

Bench: DCL, Iwobi, Gueye, Doucoure, Chermiti, Patterson, Dobbin, Godfrey, Virginia.

The above avoids relegation for mine but that's a lot of players either currently injured or with injury history. So I doubt you ever get to that point sadly. If we sign another winger as well, Dobbin probably goes on loan.

No goals in 3 games. Desperate times call for desperate measures

GLAJ1R.gif

Absent owner, chairman who is not allowed at the club, no idea whether we actually have a board at the moment, potential investors blocked by creditors, hands tied by ffp/p&l rules even if there is money, history of selling what quality we have and not replacing.

Not sure how much this is on the manager or players that are left.

We just have to find some way to stay afloat until all the injured players get back. Then the squad looks something like this, assuming we get Beto over the line as reported (players where I would like to see them tried, at least):

lineup.png

lineup(1).png

Maupay and Gray to be moved on. Cannon, Onyango, et al loaned out. Chermiti and maybe Gomes kept around as third string / squad players.

At least on paper, I think there's probably just enough there to expect a decent manager not to get relegated. And with a bit of injury luck and some solid development from younger players (McNeil, Onana, Branthwaite, etc.), somewhere between 10th - 14th or so wouldn't be completely out of the question.

But the clock's ticking.

Absent owner, chairman who is not allowed at the club, no idea whether we actually have a board at the moment, potential investors blocked by creditors, hands tied by ffp/p&l rules even if there is money, history of selling what quality we have and not replacing.

Not sure how much this is on the manager or players that are left.
Don't think any of the above is on the manager, every man and his dog knew we needed a striker to come straight in and if with beto they have the money to do the deal why wasn't it done before the season started