Reasons for supporting teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Mrs Nigh because of who she is; when I first met her I really didn't know who she was, but I could tell there was something about her I really liked. I never asked her to list pros and cons for dating her and I never performed a cost benefit analysis when deciding to ask her out.

If something's lovely, then you know it for what it is.

You won't though, not know you've been to Goodison mate.

Everton is your team now.

The Mrs Nigh cried when we visited at Goodison and the sides took the pitch.

Everton chose me in '06. Cahill's brilliance for the Aussies lead me into a club search and I ended up liking everything about Everton.

I'm probably one of the very few Americans on Tuesday who said "Oh we got knocked out of the cup? Oh well. It's not like Everton lost."

Also, I kept cheering for Mirallas out of pure habit. Some of the once-every-four-year footy fans in the pub had no understanding of why I kept saying "Come on Kev!" every time he touched the ball haha.

Honestly have no idea why I started supporting everton but I'm glad it was them I chose. Getting to a game at Goodison in 2010 was one of the greatest moments in my life (we beat Sunderland 2-0, timmy and donovan scored). Was back in the uk in 2011 and could only get to an away game but at least we won (3-1 over fulham, drenthe saha and rodwell scored). Was great walking back up to hammersmith with lots of everton supporters.

This is one of the problems with supporting League of Ireland:

Deceased LoI clubs (and its by no means complete)
unless you are supporting one of a very small number of (usually Dublin based) clubs, you are not exactly likely to pass on your allegiance to your kids.

And yes, this is entirely a chicken or egg thing, they aren't going to survive without local support, but I'm on my third "allegiance", and even that is a bit shaky owing to being underwritten by a property developer in post property crash Ireland!

Jesus, I didn't even realize it was that bad. I'm from a town called Dunshaughlin in County Meath, there's a youth team but it would be pretty creepy having to answer a parent when they ask "which one is yours?". Dublin based teams are as distant to me as English clubs.

I veered dangerously close to being a Chelsea fan. I only started watching football in my 20's, and it was probably because I got hooked on Pro Evolution Soccer 5. Chelsea were the team I used, and I actually started taking notice of all that wild crap Mourinho used to say to the press and liked him. But as I started to watch more and more football matches, I just couldn't get behind them and often willed them to lose. I'd always pick a side in a match but I kind of noticed that I would never want Everton to lose. I loved Timmy Cahill and Mikel Arteta in particular and I just started gravitating towards them until I started to say I supported Everton to anyone who asked.

It's strange how such an arbitrary decision I made years ago has such an impact on my emotional state now. Everton winning or losing basically decides what mood I'm in at the weekend. Probably the most crushing disappointment for me was going out to Fiorentina in the UEFA cup years ago. I don't know why that still lives with me.

He's a stain. He's not just a Kopite, he is the absolute worst form of Kopite. The armchair, Suarez defending, doesnt know who they're playing but turns up when they beat us on Derby Day type.

My sister is a red aswell. I love her, but she is a walking cliché when it comes to Liverpool.

I could see and hear Goodison from my bedroom window - so I there was only ever one team for me :)

But I am a firm believer that the following rules should apply across world football and it would be a better place!

• You must support the team nearest to the house were you were born (well you are born in a hospital usually but you get what I mean)
  • The only exception to the rule above, is you should be allowed to choose the team of your father (mothers aren't usually good at choosing teams, kopites the lot of them if they had the choice)
  • The team chosen by the first two rules should be stamped on your birth certificate
  • As a player you can only play for the team on your birth certificate
End of!

born a blue die a blue, my dad took me to my first game in 69/70, his father was a blue , family of lifelong blues, no real choice
still got my dads rattle , huge things they were back in 50s, he use to write the current centre forwards name on it, the last thing
written on it was give it to joey ( joe royle) think they were not allowed after the 69/70 season, lethal weapon it would be lol .

I could see and hear Goodison from my bedroom window - so I there was only ever one team for me :)

But I am a firm believer that the following rules should apply across world football and it would be a better place!

• You must support the team nearest to the house were you were born (well you are born in a hospital usually but you get what I mean)

Bristol Rovers :-/

• The only exception to the rule above, is you should be allowed to choose the team of your father

Everton. Yay! :-D

I'm Blue through and through having been born in Walton hospital to a long line of Blue family. I do, however, go to watch Hartlepool now and again and have a real soft spot for them. I started because the mother-in-law lives a few miles away from the ground and it was something to do if her and the missus went shopping for the day but I gradually began to like the total honesty of the game at that level. No rolling 40 yards when someone taps your ankle. No screaming when a centre half actually doesn't make contact with your leg etc

I stood next to couple of old boys (in their 70's) who were lifelong fans and had seen the club win precisely nowt. That's dedication.

Other plus points

1. The pies are outstanding
2. Their mascot for many years was H'Angus the Monkey who ran on to the pitch to the strains of Whole Lotta Rosie (and later became town mayor)
3. The fans are dead friendly (and amazed at a top club supporter slumming it with them)

I have a soft spot for Hertha Berlin, saw them play when I was over there. I was amazed that a second tier German team (at the time) played in a 75,00 seater Olympic Stadium. It was probably less than half full but the noise was incredible. I watch their games if they happen to be on and follow their progress in the Bundesliga now.

This is one of the problems with supporting League of Ireland:

Deceased LoI clubs (and its by no means complete)
unless you are supporting one of a very small number of (usually Dublin based) clubs, you are not exactly likely to pass on your allegiance to your kids.

And yes, this is entirely a chicken or egg thing, they aren't going to survive without local support, but I'm on my third "allegiance", and even that is a bit shaky owing to being underwritten by a property developer in post property crash Ireland!

Half those clubs are still going in either Intermediate or Junior football or have just been renamed - Cork City have had about 15 different names for example.

I support Everton & Bray Wanderers.

Status
Not open for further replies.