2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfectly understand that. Mediocrity and soft spine has been the most consistent culture over the last decade or so. Just like an addict who can't leave the "mediocre dose" that kept them comfortable and happy every now and then. New joiners, young or established will be generously given one dose and they immediately felt it's like a warm home. (sorry about the metaphor if used inappropriately).

Then comes to the demon/angel. He won't care if you will die for that. Imagine there's 25 players already get used to the lovely life in Merseyside and being told "You all lack of winning mentality, let me bring you glory!". That's really a scene.

He can't cope with established stars that all have an ego. It's Gray, Gordon, Townsend, Branthwaite or even Mykolenko or Patterson that mostly listen and progress under him. But once they evolved and become stars, they could find him annoying as he will never stop trying to make them "better" or "sacrifice for the team". That's how he fell apart with Alonso. He nurtured him but so ruthless to ditch him once he needed to generate funds to buy younger players. That's why he also failed at Real and Inter. Those superstars just can't endure all the memos or tips that he can't even achieve as a footballer.

He did lure some admirers like Hamsik from Napoli to China. He is always ambitious and started "big project" everywhere he went to. Turned out half of those places are still in shambles. He banked on the takeover in Newcastle (Staveley wanted him by that time) and missed. He went to China for some "huge project" and failed. Once the opportunity of "returning home" presented to him, he thought it's his redemption time with the support from Moshiri. He always looked for project with money behind, but everywhere he went to is just to stabilize the ship and spend less. Ironic enough.

If he somehow survive the next few games and bring in a few lads who are not "Rondon". You might actually have to see him for much longer. Many fans would be so painful to witness, plus beautiful football or glory not guaranteed too.
Not every talented player won't work for the team. Richarlison works hard. All of the Man City players work hard or they don't play. It takes time, but that's where you need to get to.

I've shared this quote a few times now, but I think it's very useful insight into Benitez from Steven Gerrard;

In his 2015 autobiography, Gerrard spoke out about his difficult relationship working with Benitez and how it fired him up.

“I don’t think Rafael Benitez liked me as a person,” Gerrard wrote.

“I’m not sure why, but that’s the feeling I got from him.”

He added: “I can pick up the phone and speak to all of my previous Liverpool managers. Except for Rafael.

“Our working relationship was ultra-professional and his frostiness drove me to become a better player. I had a hunger to earn a compliment from him — but also a hunger to let him know he really needed me as a player.”

Your ego gets in the way and you think he’s not liking you. Looking back, he was an absolute master of tough love.

“In terms of structure, in terms of principles: out of possession, how aggressive we want to be. There’s a lot of Rafael Benitez in Rangers performances.”

Does anyone think this particular group of players will react in the right way to this type of manager?

If no, is the manager the problem, or the players?

This was my opinion from May last year - click and read the thread;

October;

I'm still of the same view.

The core of the squad is rotten and has been for some time.

His message always seems to be if it is has gone wrong it was some one else's fault, if gone well All down to me.
His PR operation is genuinely world-class. Lightyears ahead of any manager we've ever had.

He's bent an entire fanbase to see things his way up at Newcastle. That's some doing, even if he had a handy Sports-Direct-owning elephant in the room to peg all the blame on.

I've shared this quote a few times now, but I think it's very useful insight into Benitez from Steven Gerrard;

Does anyone think this particular group of players will react in the right way to this type of manager?

October;

I'm with you. This group had their last chance under Ancelotti, who is a lover not a fighter. They still threw the towel in a number of times under his management. Therefore Moshiri obviously decided they needed a headmaster type, which is what we've got.

October;

But because he’s a former Liverpool manager, that style was never ever going to work for him here. He was never going to win the fans over with that approach, and if you lose the fans at this club, you lose your job. I agree that the squad are unlikeable but he was never going to be the the right manager for the rebuilding job.

Well the answer to that depends entirely on your perspective.

Every manager has his own type of players - that's entirely fair enough. But the majority of the players predate the manager.

It's not Digne's fault he's not Benitez's type of player.

October;

The squad is unlikeable and the manager is completely the wrong fit.

Both can be true.

An overhaul cannot be carried out by a manager who is extremely unpopular and has zero credibility due to abysmal results.

Well the answer to that depends entirely on your perspective.

Every manager has his own type of players - that's entirely fair enough. But the majority of the players predate the manager.

It's not Digne's fault he's not Benitez's type of player.
Yes it is. I've worked under a number of different managers. You have to adapt to suit their management style.

Get rid of Brands, he wasn’t doing his job. Get rid of the recruitment team, they were failing. Get rid of James he was on too much money. Get rid of Kean, he didn’t want to be here. Get rid of Digne, he didn’t like the tactics.

It’s all good until you see the absolute skip fire we are left with.
Asset Stripping the squad

I get more and more angry each time i think of his smirking paella stained face!

Status
Not open for further replies.