2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season was worse mate.

But I take the broad point, theres an issue of scale.

If I was being cynical, I'd say we have bought too many injury prone players, so get what we deserve.
I have always thought counter attacking football puts a heavier physical workload on the team.
Spending long periods without possession means that you are reactively chasing the ball and when you do regain the ball you have to quickly accelerate from 0 to 60 to exploit the space your tactics have theoretically created behind the oppositions lines.
It does require the majority of the team to be able to operate constantly at close to peak physical ability and inevitably can incur a heavier rate of muscular injuries etc during a season.

Couldn't it be both? Shouldn't we have an elite level, extremely effective recruitment department that is the envy of those around us AND a manager you could describe with similar words. We don't have either.
No no no no no no. That would mean the petty bickering and sniping opportunities that this place thrives on would be eradicated. That would just not do.

That doesn't make sense. The quality of our fully fit first team is capabable of beating about 11 or 12 other PL clubs.

You must think more of these players than most of our fans do. They aren't that good overall. £500M has been wasted in 6 years. That really is the continuing major issue, not any manager.
What doesn't make sense? You stated that Benitez was "capable of picking up points" with a fully fit first team. This squad picked up 59 points last season. The idea that picking up tiny numbers of points when some of the first team are injured is acceptable because he'll pick up some points when/if they are back is a low bar.

We've won just 2 of the last 25 Merseyside Derbies

Last won at Goodison in 2010

We have 8-9 players currently out and likely still around 6-7 come the derby but apparently its a must win or Benitez is getting tarred and feathered! lol

This is why the silent majority can not take these cats seriously.

He wouldn't be sacked for a derby defeat, he would be sacked for 1 win in 11 assuming we don't beat Brentford. Injuries or not that record is a disgrace

As much as I don't want us to keep changing managers as this has simply not worked over last 6 years but if he plays Rondon on Sunday I am not defending him, any grassroots coach can see he is totally out of his depth
Kendall knew it with Glen Keely
Moyes Knew it with Klodrup
So Benitez should hold his hands up and say I have messed up on this one
This is it for me, anyone can see the lad is literally useless. He hasn’t impacted any game he’s been involved in positively.

The continued selection of someone who is clearly the managers guy smacks of the stubborn Benitez the other lot used to complain about constantly even when they were winning things.

He wouldn't be sacked for a derby defeat, he would be sacked for 1 win in 11 assuming we don't beat Brentford. Injuries or not that record is a disgrace

There's no chance he's sacked after the derby.

There's a negligible chance he's sacked after Palace. A greater chance he's sacked after Burnley and a good chance/verging on almost certain he's sacked after Newcastle.

That's assuming we lose all those games; it'd leave us on 15 points after 20 games, I think the board would have to pull the trigger as we'd have six winnable games after that in a row until City in late Feb, and if at that point we didn't win a sizeable chunk of those games we'd be in desperate trouble as our run-in is hideous, in that you can make argument for us winning 1 of the last 8.

My guess is he survives fairly comfortably. The reason I think we'll improve isn't necessarily because of Benitez, but because the spine of our team will be back and we'll do what we've done before; grind out results due to moments of individual quality from the few decent players we have.

I think we might get a point out of Brentford, maybe a point from Leicester and/or Arsenal, and I think we beat Palace and Burnley and probably Newcastle, meaning we go into the new year on somewhere between 20 and 25 points. I think we'll then rally to around 35 points by late Feb and end the season on around 45 points, good enough for about 13th. It'll then be recognised all round as the season it was - a write off due to FFP and a terrible squad.

There's a negligible chance he's sacked after Palace. A greater chance he's sacked after Burnley and a good chance/verging on almost certain he's sacked after Newcastle.

That's assuming we lose all those games; it'd leave us on 15 points after 20 games, I think the board would have to pull the trigger as we'd have six winnable games after that in a row until City in late Feb, and if at that point we didn't win a sizeable chunk of those games we'd be in desperate trouble as our run-in is hideous, in that you can make argument for us winning 1 of the last 8.

My guess is he survives fairly comfortably. The reason I think we'll improve isn't necessarily because of Benitez, but because the spine of our team will be back and we'll do what we've done before; grind out results due to moments of individual quality from the few decent players we have.

I think we might get a point out of Brentford, maybe a point from Leicester and/or Arsenal, and I think we beat Palace and Burnley and probably Newcastle, meaning we go into the new year on somewhere between 20 and 25 points. I think we'll then rally to around 35 points by late Feb and end the season on around 45 points, good enough for about 13th. It'll then be recognised all round as the season it was - a write off due to FFP and a terrible squad.

Too sensible that. The "keepers of the flame" will hate you for it.

Defeat or point against Brentford followed 3 days later by what everyone is expecting, a humiliation and the board wil have no option to sack him. Imagine GP when we go 3 down and their fans screaming Benitez name. Sickening thought

Status
Not open for further replies.