2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He couldnt be bothered playing, he wasnt bothered the end of last season either, and you know this
Because he missed the last 2 games through injury, which our medical director (or whatever term he goes by) confirmed this? OK pal.

Anyway, that's moved off benitez. Back to my original point, it's the same squad that finished 10th other than a player who some feel was rubbish anyway (and I'm assuming you wanted him gone by your response so you can't have rated him so it shouldn't be a loss to the squad in your view). And a few of his own signings.So 10th should be minimum expectation.

Off the top of my head:
Arsenal away 7-0
Arsenal home 1-6
Wigan Cup 0-3
West Brom home 1-4
Dynamo Bucharest away 5-1
I can think of more in the last 5 years, having spent more money than ever before - compared to 11 years with a few outliers where we never spent any money.
Wilfully ignorant or blind to throw Moyes in with the mess of the Moshiri reign.

You expected us to be top 4 after a quarter of the season with our worst squad in many years ?
We should have at least beat West Ham and Watford at home which would have given us 6 more points. If we'd have got beaten at Old Trafford but beat the other two at home I think people would have been a lot happier.

You expected us to be top 4 after a quarter of the season with our worst squad in many years ?

Wasn't expecting anything position-wise at this stage. The first 10-15 games are about accumulating the points you need to push on. I expected 17 or 18 from these matches as they were very favourable.

Now we go into much tougher games and are behind where we should be, and will need to win one or two more difficult games to make up for it. It's the manner of the performances and the defending that are the biggest concern. There are glaring errors in our set up but the manager has done nothing to change the methods.

Newcastle wont be in for Benitez. You know it.

Benitez has done very well so far. The board know that too.

Things will have to get well out of hand for them to renege on their deal with Benitez after they employed him and handed him zero resources...and they've watched on as players have fallen victim to injury on an unprecedented scale.
Don’t think that Benny will let shithouses like Keane,Iwobie etc hang him out to dry….if they ain’t doing the biz he wii just leave them swaying in the wind,playing with reserves.
How many managers have this shower given the run around too.

Once we have played everyone once, I will judge whether we are doing very well.

We are currently 3 to 4 points down on what I expected from these fixtures, because we've only played one top 6 side. We also messed up a cup tie to lower league opponents and should be playing a league 1 side tonight.

By new year, I don't think things will be so positive. The defending is the simplest thing to fix and it is getting progressively worse week on week. We only have 1 defensive injury. That is far from a crisis!
I think the loss against Watford has really dampened what could of been a good start to the season.
I think the manner of the loss has really set some alarm bells ringing, and I guess there is some justification in that.

I never expected much this season, as I think we have about 80% of dross in our squad. I did expect us to be organised and difficult to beat, also not great to watch. Saturday was a nightmare and proves the mentality issue we have with players, this coupled with poor tactics on the day caused the embarrassing result

I still think Benitez is the right man for the job
BUT
I don’t believe he will lead us onto silverware, I honestly believe he will get us into an organised team and sort the back room out.
if he can do that he will be a success

18mths we will see what progress he is making

Wasn't expecting anything position-wise at this stage. The first 10-15 games are about accumulating the points you need to push on. I expected 17 or 18 from these matches as they were very favourable.

Now we go into much tougher games and are behind where we should be, and will need to win one or two more difficult games to make up for it. It's the manner of the performances and the defending that are the biggest concern. There are glaring errors in our set up but the manager has done nothing to change the methods.
14 isn't too bad with context, but considering the run of games we have, we simply just need to keep our heads above the water until January where we simply HAVE to get signings in. Brands needs to grow up and realize that the January window is extremely important to regroup and recharge.

I think the loss against Watford has really dampened what could of been a good start to the season.
I think the manner of the loss has really set some alarm bells ringing, and I guess there is some justification in that.

I never expected much this season, as I think we have about 80% of dross in our squad. I did expect us to be organised and difficult to beat, also not great to watch. Saturday was a nightmare and proves the mentality issue we have with players, this coupled with poor tactics on the day caused the embarrassing result

I still think Benitez is the right man for the job
BUT
I don’t believe he will lead us onto silverware, I honestly believe he will get us into an organised team and sort the back room out.
if he can do that he will be a success

18mths we will see what progress he is making

I personally think it's completely unrealistic to think he lasts anywhere close to 18 months. The signs are there already and we know how this ends. You can't set a team up like that and get hammerred at Goodison. No one survives that for long. He only survives if he changes his defensive methods, and Benitez is too stubborn to change at this point of his career.

Don’t think that Benny will let shithouses like Keane,Iwobie etc hang him out to dry….if they ain’t doing the biz he wii just leave them swaying in the wind,playing with reserves.
How many managers have this shower given the run around too.
So far the evidence suggests the contrary

I personally think it's completely unrealistic to think he lasts anywhere close to 18 months. The signs are there already and we know how this ends. You can't set a team up like that and get hammerred at Goodison. No one survives that for long. He only survives if he changes his defensive methods, and Benitez is too stubborn to change at this point of his career.
I believe every manager should be given 18mths to prove themselves (unless relegation becomes real)

I will agree Saturday was embarrassing, and I am sure he will look at correcting this and pointing it out to the players

The losses against West Ham and Villa, could of happened any season. I don’t think we should get to down over them, them teams I believe have better starting 11 and squads.

we are in for a real difficult season.....

These are all fair points, but where are the board going? When has a board left over results on the pitch?

Can we really fix the issues at the club and unite people behind a common goal until the manager is representative of the wider club?

The first and simplest way for the board to start making changes and move in the right direction, is to admit they made a huge error with the appointment of Benitez, and bring in a long term manager with the responsibility of building a new squad.

The board are responsible for the position the club finds itself in, but they are not going anywhere. The club cannot move forward until we admit this is an experiment that cannot work. A disunited and divided club can never succeed. There is no example of this ever working in the past.
Maybe you're right, but who is that long term manager? Man Utd may have one in mind, but how many are there who are available?

And even then you can never be sure and you will probably get it wrong, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.