2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's loads of examples of fan pressure forcing significant change at their clubs. Take our neighbours with Hicks and Gillett and there's a fair few more examples.

The problem isn't Benitez mate.

The problem, as you say, is the people who appointed him - and Koeman. And Silva. And Allardyce. And even Ancelotti considering the clause to leave at the drop of a hat for free.

The decision making of the clubs majority shareholder, and his board have meant we've become a model for how not to run a club with an influx of money. This, despite nonsense like this;

Chairman. CEO. DOF. All of these can be sacked tomorrow by Farhad Moshiri. He's reshuffled deckchairs on the titanic with the boardroom and take emotion out of it - Everton have failed as an organisation under this board. 3 years ago they were talking up going for titles!

At this point, to me pressure towards the board would seem more constructive than pressure towards any manager - even if that manager is Rafael Benitez.

That quote doesn't half boil my pish.

Now the dust has settled on the weekend, I think I have had time to develop a balanced and nuanced opinion of the state of affairs of Everton. This is what, I believe, should happen.

Benitez out
Unsworth out
Ebbrell out
Brands out
Kenwright out
DBB out
Duncan out
Keane out
Digne out
Holgate out
Gbamin out
Davies out
Delph out
Gomes out
Sigurdsson out
Iwobi out
Rondon out
Tosun out
JJK out

I believe once these issues have been addressed then we can start to move forward. Fee free to add any crabs I’ve missed off my list.

DCL injury and no depth isn't it? Richarlison probably would have played if he was fit, and he obviously doesn't trust Dobbin or whoever else from the reserves.

But - and it's a big but - it should have been obvious to him by now that anyone but Rondon is a better solution. Same with Iwobi.

Rondon was the emergency budget option because we had no money to spend. We had to get rid of Kean as he was awful and a financial drain, but it left us with nobody but DCL.

There's a few areas of the pitch where we are one injury away from relegation standard starters - left back with Digne and the mystifying decision to lose Small and Nkounkou, Doucoure leaving us with Tom Davies, Coleman puts Kenny in contention. And people look at this squad and wonder why we can't win games consistently; it's actually amazing we win anything. Even objectively worse teams than us have better balance and more relative quality in depth.

Still, Benitez really pushed for Rondon.

He's also persisted with him, for full games when he really should be turning to Dobbin/anyone who can actually move/show some intent.

If Benitez did that - put Dobbin in for Rondon, and anyone other than Iwobi then there's very little argument against him. It then turns, rightly, to Everton's recruitment over the past 5 years leaving us with such a pitiful team.

DCL injury and no depth isn't it? Richarlison probably would have played if he was fit, and he obviously doesn't trust Dobbin or whoever else from the reserves.

But - and it's a big but - it should have been obvious to him by now that anyone but Rondon is a better solution. Same with Iwobi.

Rondon was the emergency budget option because we had no money to spend. We had to get rid of Kean as he was awful and a financial drain, but it left us with nobody but DCL.

There's a few areas of the pitch where we are one injury away from relegation standard starters - left back with Digne and the mystifying decision to lose Small and Nkounkou, Doucoure leaving us with Tom Davies, Coleman puts Kenny in contention. And people look at this squad and wonder why we can't win games consistently; it's actually amazing we win anything. Even objectively worse teams than us have better balance and more relative quality in depth.

That's it for me, I totally see why he went for Rondon. He's done a job for him in the past, we needed another striker, and with limited funds available you can see why he's went for someone he trusts on a free rather than blow a transfer fee on someone.

However, Rondon is just simply not up to the task of leading the line for any Premier League club right now. You never know, maybe by January when he's had half a season to get back up to speed we'll see something resembling the Rondon that was actually a half-decent player for West Brom and Newcastle. Given his age, it's not a given that it will happen, but you never know.

Richarlison through the middle until DCL is back now. Rondon as a bench option if we need to play ugly to see a game out or as a final roll of the dice should we be chasing the game.

I'm fearing the worst if we keep him in charge tbh, relegation although unthinkable may even become a real possibility given Calvert-Lewin's prolonged absence.

Once you start losing, and even what confidence there is in a few players drains away, then losing becomes the norm rather than the exception. Relatively easy games on paper become games that are dreaded because we can't beat anybody.

That's admittedly looking at the very worst scenario but it's one that looks all too possible right now. I've no confidence whatsoever in Benitez, his record at Newcastle hardly matched up to Steve Bruce's and the latter was sacked after finishing 11th and 12th?

Benitez once upon a time may have had ability but he's yesterday's man his methods were effective once upon a time but reality catches up with even the best of managers like Mourinho, never mind lesser ones like Benitez, and what once worked no longer will.

Benitez won cups with Liverpool, failed to do what Klopp has, nowhere near, and recently has struggled with 'lesser' clubs. He's no longer a good fit and should never have been appointed imo.

There's loads of examples of fan pressure forcing significant change at their clubs. Take our neighbours with Hicks and Gillett and there's a fair few more examples.

The problem isn't Benitez mate.

The problem, as you say, is the people who appointed him - and Koeman. And Silva. And Allardyce. And even Ancelotti considering the clause to leave at the drop of a hat for free.

The decision making of the clubs majority shareholder, and his board have meant we've become a model for how not to run a club with an influx of money. This, despite nonsense like this;

Chairman. CEO. DOF. All of these can be sacked tomorrow by Farhad Moshiri. He's reshuffled deckchairs on the titanic with the boardroom and take emotion out of it - Everton have failed as an organisation under this board. 3 years ago they were talking up going for titles!

At this point, to me pressure towards the board would seem more constructive than pressure towards any manager - even if that manager is Rafael Benitez.

I don't disagree the board are to blame, but I don't agree that fans are going to have any impact on board changes.

The club will never represent the wider fanbase under this manager. The board won't be changed realistically, but the manager can be changed and that will help things immediately as a first step.

Now the dust has settled on the weekend, I think I have had time to develop a balanced and nuanced opinion of the state of affairs of Everton. This is what, I believe, should happen.

Benitez out
Unsworth out
Ebbrell out
Brands out
Kenwright out
DBB out
Duncan out
Keane out
Digne out
Holgate out
Gbamin out
Davies out
Delph out
Gomes out
Sigurdsson out
Iwobi out
Rondon out
Tosun out
JJK out

I believe once these issues have been addressed then we can start to move forward. Fee free to add any crabs I’ve missed off my list.
You forgot The Parkenders

I don't disagree the board are to blame, but I don't agree that fans are going to have any impact on board changes.

The club will never represent the wider fanbase under this manager. The board won't be changed realistically, but the manager can be changed and that will help things immediately as a first step.

If fans can make a majority shareholder pay millions to sack a manager, you can bet your life they can encourage the same majority shareholder to change a failing board.

Moshiri probably reckons fans want Mr Everton still at the club. I mean, this is just bonkers;

'As one representative notes: "Everton are the only club where you have to ring three people to get an answer on a player."

The fact is that creates an atmosphere where the club has never been more divided. Added to that is the stubborn tactics and shambolic defensive set up.

The humiliation that comes with getting thrashed under this manager is demoralising. I can hardly bring myself to watch this side, they don't represent my club.

Why should we back him? Name me a good reason other than people don't want another change. He was entirely the wrong choice and the longer we persist the harder it is to recover.

He doesn't.
The division is down to the board not benitez.

If fans can make a majority shareholder pay millions to sack a manager, you can bet your life they can encourage the same majority shareholder to change a failing board.
I agree that something is institutionally wrong at Everton. It's not the manager.

But with a huge portion of the fanbase off-side from the beginning, it's going to be very hard for collective sights to be set on the board, rather than Benitez.

Moshiri probably reckons fans want Mr Everton still at the club. I mean, this is just bonkers;

'As one representative notes: "Everton are the only club where you have to ring three people to get an answer on a player."

I want accountability, and clear strands of responsibility. Until we have that then nothing will improve.

Either we have a DOF with clear roles and the final say on all recruitment and youth development, or the role needs to be made redundant.

We need a board who speak as one voice without seperate groups or whatever. We need appointments based on experience and knowledge of the football industry because it is not real life business. You need football experts who are allowed free reign to carry out their role.

But Moshiri has had like 5 years to implement some of these basic steps. If he hasn't decided to do it by now, then what evidence is there that fan pressure will force his hand after all this time? He is the owner, he has the final say. I don't see what impact fans are going to have on a clearly out of touch owner. If he is happy to go against the support by appointing Benitez then I doubt he cares about a few critical remarks to the directors box at Goodison.

Is the club divided though?

The club appointed the manager and will back him.

Elements of the fanbase may be divided but do you really think the board, owner, manager or club as a whole care overly about that?

Goodison is full every week, as will the new stadium once open; merchandise is selling so at what point does anyone at the club care if some in the fanbase are upset that the manager once managed Liverpool.

By all means moan about performances; but we know the team is poor/inconsistent in need of a lot of work which we can't do due to recruitment failures over the last 5 years. Short term yes, Rafael takes the blame for recent results; but long term he's just come in at the end of seasons of rubbish from the top to bottom of the club.

If things keep going tits up mate then Goodison can become a very toxic place. Right by me in the Gladwys street on Saturday there were lads nearly coming to blows so you would like to think the board etc would have to sit up and take notice if things carried on.

Status
Not open for further replies.