2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you basing this on mate?

We haven't exactly had a difficult run up until now and have won 1 game in 9.

In January we lose Iwobi to AFCON (no big loss) and most likely Richarlison and Mina to their international teams (there's another international break in late Jan for the South American teams).

So we could be just as short of numbers as we are now (3 players out), and that's assuming we don't pick up injuries over the festive period and January.

Oh I see the patterns, absolutely. But doesn't mean that you stick with the dreadful choice that we have right now does it?

Injuries abating. He's already won games with the spine of the side intact earlier in the season against similar opposition to the 7 games we have from 30 December til 26 February. He'll also have at least two fewer games in that time than Ancelotti played in 2021 as the fixture congestion eases up (we've played four more league games this season by this date than the last.)

But basically it comes back to 'the pattern'. This squad always has mini-spurts of good form, then drop off a cliff. They are cowards who need to be given a flat run to play into confidence, and some of the sides coming up will give them it. Newcastle and Norwich are absolutely dreadful, I saw it with my own eyes yesterday.

But while I'm fairly confident Benitez will pick up around 14 from 21 points available in that Jan/Feb run if I had to guess (not because I'm a Benitez fan but because I think ANY manager would), he has to earn the right to be given that chance, because if we're on, say, 18 points going into the new year then that run of games is about relegation survival at that point and he should be sacked.

Injuries abating. He's already won games with the spine of the side intact earlier in the season against similar opposition to the 7 games we have from 30 December til 26 February. He'll also have at least two fewer games in that time than Ancelotti played in 2021 as the fixture congestion eases up (we've played four more league games this season by this date than the last.)

But basically it comes back to 'the pattern'. This squad always has mini-spurts of good form, then drop off a cliff. They are cowards who need to be given a flat run to play into confidence, and some of the sides coming up will give them it. Newcastle and Norwich are absolutely dreadful, I saw it with my own eyes yesterday.

But while I'm fairly confident Benitez will pick up around 14 from 21 points available in that Jan/Feb run if I had to guess (not because I'm a Benitez fan but because I think ANY manager would), he has to earn the right to be given that chance, because if we're on, say, 18 points going into the new year then that run of games is about relegation survival at that point and he should be sacked.
We are WIDE open I don't see us beating anyone

Well they maybe can start being doing the same mixed man-for-man/zonal set piece defending which was so successful just last season. Just a thought.

Do not ask players to do something they can’t do. It’s the most basic of concepts.

Let’s pretend we’re in a world for a second where Mina DCL and Siggurdson are all in the 11 (three of our tallest players and best defensive headers of the ball) and in this world Benitez is also playing Godfrey and Holgate at full back like Carlo did because we play Catennacio. Then yes maybe we could do Ancelotti’s set piece defence. We’d probably finish in a similar place because without the James inspired first few games of Ancelotti’s season (not playing that personell or that way) we would have finished middle bottom half which is where we are heading this season.

Let’s pretend we’re in a world for a second where Mina DCL and Siggurdson are all in the 11 (three of our tallest players and best defensive headers of the ball) and in this world Benitez is also playing Godfrey and Holgate at full back like Carlo did because we play Catennacio. Then yes maybe we could do Ancelotti’s set piece defence. We’d probably finish in a similar place because without the James inspired first few games of Ancelotti’s season (not playing that personell or that way) we would have finished middle bottom half which is where we are heading this season.
We finished top half.

I was told he relegated them This is just not true. You want to relegate a top manager, and replace him with anyone. When the world can see we've got huge problems with the squad. Surely even Evertonians who don't like him can see we are playing with fire here, if we bottle it and sack him out of spite, there is a massive chance the other guy gets nothing out of these bellends and down we go.
It is true. He did take them down. He failed to keep them up which was what he was brought in to do. Certain managers can do that, others can not. He managed to bring them back up because Newcastle are massive at Championship level and had decent money to spend comparatively to other clubs down there. This is what he is good at.

We are already playing with fire? Are you made of asbestos or something? How can you not see this?

There is no wiggle room with this squad, we cant make many changes, the rot is setting in, he is already alienating himself blaming others (no matter how true or not it is) this can only end badly now.

Sacking him out of spite? We are currently the worst team in the league form wise and look abject. Sometimes you just need to rectify your mistakes quickly.

But today we literally had one definite guaranteed starter out. I admit, he's a very good guaranteed starter in DCL, but still, he doesn't patch up our midfield (because Benitez will keep on playing 2 in there). He doesn't solve our right-back issues or make Benitez realise Digne needs to cross the halfway line to have any impact on a game.

Mina - as much as he's our best defender - was up for sale in the summer. I can't count him as a guaranteed starter because well, frankly he isn't, and today does he stop any of those goals we concede? He definitely doesn't stop the first three, that's for sure.

So he's running out of excuses there mate. We had DCL and Mina out who would have started the game if fit. Davies is the only other one now. He's a very poor manager and tactically stuck about 10 years ago. Who the hell plays 4-4-1-1 nowadays mate? There's not one other team I can think of that does and I have to watch a lot of crap footy.

Well we'll see, I'm really not confident because I think we're going to be running players into the ground. Benitez is lumping a lot on DCL coming back as he was. Well that's going to be touch and go. For one, he wasn't flying at the start of the season at all, and we only created two chances for him from open play. One he scored v S'ton, the other v Leeds he missed. He wasn't able to have a pre-season and he had a broken toe, and then he's had this bad injury and will have been out for 3 and a half months. That's a very long time. He's got to come back into a period where he'll be expected to play every three days, in the middle of winter in a team devoid of confidence who fail to create chances for their strikers in the area, which is what DCL needs to be effective.

And like I said, we have Richarlison and our best defender in Mina set to miss a week at the end of January. They have to play two games each in three days and travel 1000s of miles.

I agree with you on the pattern and I want the jokers above Benitez to be held to account but that doesn't equate to Benitez having to be stuck with. He's just not cut out for it. I want him to turn it around and I want him to get time but I just don't see how he can because every single game he keeps showing himself up mate. Every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.