Problems this season and how we move forward..

Status
Not open for further replies.

EFC78

Player Valuation: £25m
When Allardyce came in, the expectation was that he would sort our defensive issues out. I think it’s clear that we have been poor defensively all season, but also toothless in attack. This hasn’t really changed to any great extent under all 3 managers, and it highlights that we have major problems throughout the team that Allardyce has not been able to sort out.

Barring the short initial run of games under him, we have been shambolic defensively all season. In a notable amount of games, the opposition have had a significantly higher number of total shots and shots on target than we have. Inevitably this has been the case against the better teams with the worst being the Arsenal game at home under Koeman where they had 30 shots, with 14 on target, compared to our 9 and 3. Against City who had 10 men for over a half, they managed 19 shots to our 7, with 6 on target to just 2 from us. Allardyce sees himself as someone who can tighten things up but the facts suggest otherwise. Against the better teams, like under Koeman, we have been under a barrage of attacks with Liverpool having 23 total shots, Chelsea 25 and Spurs 20 to our 3, 5 and 7.

More worryingly even against the poorer sides, neither Unsworth or Allardyce have been able to improve this. In the 2-2 against bottom of the league Palace under Unsworth, Palace had double the amount of shots (16 to our 8), and 7 on target to our 5, and against Southampton they had 17 in total to our 5. Against West Brom away under Allardyce, a side now rooted to the bottom, West Brom had 17 shots to our 7, and Bournemouth had 18 shots to our 6, with 7 on target to our 1.

The team is imbalanced, lacking in heart, creativity and most worryingly - any real quality.

At the end of the season, what would you do? Is it as simple as changing the manager or do we have several problems? I think the latter and wholesale changes are needed. Walsh hasn't proved himself, the old players (Jags/Williams) need to be let go, we need a new captain and most of all we need to create a well balanced side with a manager who wants to try and win every game, but approaches each game sensibly. We should not be losing 10-3 over 2 games to Arsenal, we shouldn't be losing each year at Bournemouth, Southampton and Watford or have the 87th worst away record in English Football and wasting £25-£50m on individual transfers. Moshiri has to get it right in the Summer.

The squad can be fixed with around a net spend of 60m-80m if we spend wisely. By fixed I mean to have us challenging Top 6, if perhaps least favourite to actually get it.

The manager can be fixed by spending less than 5m.

The stadium can be built if we find around 150m-200m.

Just requires the money and correct decisions to be made.

So we are probably [Poor language removed].

It all co.es down to getting the right manager. I know it is the players that have to perform on the pitch, but it is the manager that buys the players, picks the team and sets out the style of play.
Get the manager right and everything else should fall into place

We'll have about 12 months from now to sort it out..... same manager / management staff / squad .... we'll go down next season.
We are lucky that there is so much crap in the league right now. If we don't go down this year ( and I'm still not feeling safe after that display on Sat ) .... we will need a stellar off season. Sam out / Walsh out / Sr playing staff out ( Williams / Jags / Baines / Rooney ? ) / decisions made on players like Klassen ,Sandro ,Lookman , Toscun / commitments extended to our younger players / new manager hire / start of squad turnover ...new players in.

Need for a well thought out plan by competent professionals ( uh oh )
Massive course change needed or I fear we will go down in the next season or two.....

..it’s all about playing strategy and transfer policy. That’s it but that’s where we continue to fail and yet we maintain the same DoF.

Players can’t be bought piecemeal or we will continue to struggle. Players need to be bought with a team strategy in mind so that they compliment each other and make us competitive, even against the top teams.

The Burnley game at the weekend is going to be another poor performance where we don't do anything and end up losing.

Then we will be boss against Brighton and everyone will go quiet until the next away game.

Said it Saturday, the problem right now is allardyce half arsed attitude only focusing on the home games to see us through . There is absolutely no point in being invested in the rest of the season, same thing will happen week after week until it's over.

My concern is unless come June we have got rid of allardyce and Walsh and replaced them then my enthusiasm probably won't be back for August. Metaphorically, heads should roll this summer for such a poor season so if the club (moshiri) doesn't act then it shows how little it cares.

Even Saturday, a half arsed performance with some attacking intent and we win vecause Watford were that bad, and we just then out crap the home team because the manager has told them to hold onto a point. That is where we are now as a club, 50 million on attackers in January and we hope to draw against Watford. So what is the point really?

Change the management team. Allardyce and Walsh needs to leave. I thought SA could fix the defending problems but it seems not. No need to rush buy or sell players in transfer markets. I think the board should choose the next DOF first before the manager and most importantly sack after the replacement is secured.

Well Wlash going for me is the first and main one, but once he has gone I dont think we should get another DOF until we have the next manager, to do it the other way around is madness. Once we get a manager we need to get a DOF he can work with them, how they want things done, the best person to fit around them, having someone there allready who they might not agree with or like is crazy, i half think Koeman gave up because of this.

Well Wlash going for me is the first and main one, but once he has gone I dont think we should get another DOF until we have the next manager, to do it the other way around is madness. Once we get a manager we need to get a DOF he can work with them, how they want things done, the best person to fit around them, having someone there allready who they might not agree with or like is crazy, i half think Koeman gave up because of this.
Isn't it the other way around? The manager coaches the squad. The D of F handles the rest of the football. The D of F is hired by the board based on their vision of the club. He hires the manager based on that vision.

If the manager is the top dog, there is no need for a D of F. You have a head of scouting maybe and a head of business operations, but the manager is in charge of the football.

Status
Not open for further replies.