Premier League Squad...will any senior players miss out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Gosling scored against Man Utd. Not entirely sure what point you're trying to make here.

My point is Kone scored 17 in 30 appearances as a 17 year-old for Rio Sport. Moved to Lierse, to Europe from Africa, as an 18/19 year old and scored a respectable 11 goals in 32 appearances. Then moved to Roda in Holland and scored 27 from 63 appearances. He then got a big move to PSV and scored 21 in 53 appearances. As a 21-23 year-old.

Got a massive move to Sevilla for 12m euros in 2007 when he's still only 23/24. New league, new culture. Tough league.

Those beating him with a stick saying 1 goal in 40 appearances should realise he made a total of 12 league starts for Sevilla between 2007-2012. They had others like Negredo and Kanooute. In those 5 years he was loaned out to Hannover where he scored 2 in 8 appearances, and then Levante, where he scored 15 in 34 appearances, and was taken out of the team controversially due to a clause which stated if he scored 18 goals he'd have to return to Sevilla. He then joined Wigan, another new league, new country, scored a respectable 11 league goals in a very poor team, won the FA Cup, and showed flashes of brilliance. That's my point! I'm sick of people writing him off. He's a more than decent striker. As that finish against Real Madrid proved.

Last edited:

[video=youtube;7p9taIlhpYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9taIlhpYc[/video]

Ive just watched this.

The teams he scored against.

Southampton
Fulham
Everton x2
West Brom x2
Villa
Huddersfield x2
Reading
Newcastle
Norwich

Not a single goal against any team that finished in the top half, us aside.

[video=youtube;7p9taIlhpYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9taIlhpYc[/video]

Ive just watched this.

The teams he scored against.

Southampton
Fulham
Everton x2
West Brom x2
Villa
Huddersfield x2
Reading
Newcastle
Norwich

Not a single goal against any team that finished in the top half, us aside.

I don't know why you'd work so hard to prove your very early writing off of a player is correct? Are you really just judging him on what he has done here, or did you watch him at Wigan last season?

Not that I paid any attention to him before he came here to be honest...

The general rule of thumb as a football fan is not to judge a player who is new and barely had a kick.....I don't think "I call it how I see it" negates that..

I don't know why you'd work so hard to prove your very early writing off of a player is correct? Are you really just judging him on what he has done here, or did you watch him at Wigan last season?

Not that I paid any attention to him before he came here to be honest...

The general rule of thumb as a football fan is not to judge a player who is new and barely had a kick.....I don't think "I call it how I see it" negates that..

Keep my powder dry for a while. Now if it was Naismith, now that's another story.

It's 25 over 21s - of which 8 (or more) must be "home-grown" (or naturalised as such). If you have only 7 HG then it's 24 maximum. We don't have any problems meeting the limit on the rules.

In fact the PL squads have been named - here: You will see that Arsenal have just 21 named (including 5 HG, 2 of which are not British anyway - so just 3 born in the UK).

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/sep/premier-league-squad-lists-201314/

Everton: (my highlighted U21 players)

25 squad players
Player (Home Grown)

Gibson, Darron Thomas Daniel (Yes)
Hibbert, Anthony James (Yes)
Jagielka, Philip Nikodem (Yes)
Osman, Leon (Yes)
Baines, Leighton John (Yes)
Barry, Gareth (Yes)
McCarthy, James (Yes)
Alcaraz, Antolin (No)
Coleman, Seamus (No)
Distin, Sylvain (No)
Gueye, Magaye Serigne Falilou Dit Nelson (No)
Heitinga, John Gijsbert Alan (No)
Howard, Timothy Matthew (No)
Jelavic, Nikica (No)
Kone, Arouna (No)
Mirallas Y Castillo, Kevin Antonio Joel Gislain (No)
Naismith, Steven John (No)
Oviedo Jimenez, Bryan Josue (No)
Pienaar, Steven (No)
Robles Blazquez, Joel (No).

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)
Adelson, Jake Joseph Clifford
Barkley, Ross
Birch, Arlen Tom
Browning, Tyias
Charsley, Henry William James
Deulofeu Lazaro, Gerard
Duffus, Courtney
Duffus, Tyrone Errol
Duffy, Shane Patrick Michael
Dyson, Calum William
Edge, Charley Joseph
Garbutt, Luke
Graham, Aidan James
Grant, Conor James
Green, George William
Griffiths, Russell John
Jones, Gethin Wynne
Kennedy, Matthew
Kenny, Jon Joe
Langton, Curtis John
Ledson, Ryan Graham
Long, Christopher
Lukaku, Romelu Menama
Lundstram, John David
McAleny, Conor Michael
McLaughlin, Ben Padraic
McNally, Reece
Newell, George Stephen
Pennington, Matthew
Robinson, Antonee
Santos Da Silva Junior, Francisco
Shannon, Oliver John William
Springthorpe, Mason Thomas
Stones, John
Taudul, Mateusz
Thorniley, Jordan
Touray, Ibou Omar
Vellios, Apostolos
Williams, Joseph Michael

Last edited:

In fact the PL squads have been named - here: You will see that Arsenal have just 21 named (including 5 HG, 2 of which are not British anyway - so just 3 born in the UK).

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2013-14/sep/premier-league-squad-lists-201314/

Everton: (my highlighted U21 players)

25 squad players
Player (Home Grown)

Gibson, Darron Thomas Daniel (Yes)
Hibbert, Anthony James (Yes)
Jagielka, Philip Nikodem (Yes)
Osman, Leon (Yes)
Baines, Leighton John (Yes)
Barry, Gareth (Yes)
McCarthy, James (Yes)
Alcaraz, Antolin (No)
Coleman, Seamus (No)
Distin, Sylvain (No)
Gueye, Magaye Serigne Falilou Dit Nelson (No)
Heitinga, John Gijsbert Alan (No)
Howard, Timothy Matthew (No)
Jelavic, Nikica (No)
Kone, Arouna (No)
Mirallas Y Castillo, Kevin Antonio Joel Gislain (No)
Naismith, Steven John (No)
Oviedo Jimenez, Bryan Josue (No)
Pienaar, Steven (No)
Robles Blazquez, Joel (No).

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)
Adelson, Jake Joseph Clifford
Barkley, Ross
Birch, Arlen Tom
Browning, Tyias
Charsley, Henry William James
Deulofeu Lazaro, Gerard
Duffus, Courtney
Duffus, Tyrone Errol
Duffy, Shane Patrick Michael
Dyson, Calum William
Edge, Charley Joseph
Garbutt, Luke
Graham, Aidan James
Grant, Conor James
Green, George William
Griffiths, Russell John
Jones, Gethin Wynne
Kennedy, Matthew
Kenny, Jon Joe
Langton, Curtis John
Ledson, Ryan Graham
Long, Christopher
Lukaku, Romelu Menama
Lundstram, John David
McAleny, Conor Michael
McLaughlin, Ben Padraic
McNally, Reece
Newell, George Stephen
Pennington, Matthew
Robinson, Antonee
Santos Da Silva Junior, Francisco
Shannon, Oliver John William
Springthorpe, Mason Thomas
Stones, John
Taudul, Mateusz
Thorniley, Jordan
Touray, Ibou Omar
Vellios, Apostolos
Williams, Joseph Michael

To me we would have 19 of those 20 senior players considered for our matchday squad (subject to Alcaraz and Gibson's fitness with Gueye the odd one out of the 20 then, as can't see him considered at all) post the Chelsea game plus Barkley, Deulofeu, Lukaku & Stones from the u21 players to add.

That would mean up to 5 of the above missing out in a matchday squad entirely and up to a further three players not getting any gametime from the bench, plus Robles initially. Lots of competition there, but what are the predictions for which players will not cut it in Martinez's mind and begin to miss out on the matchday squad?

[video=youtube;1uDVhXUMFBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDVhXUMFBs[/video]

This goal actually made me laugh. He would have been hard pushed to display any less technique with those two touches!

Looked a little sharper against Cardiff though and I'm in the 'anybody but Jela' camp at the moment.

Back on topic, decent squad now and hopefully the end of players playing ridiculously out of position or still playing when clearly out of form.

This goal actually made me laugh. He would have been hard pushed to display any less technique with those two touches!

Looked a little sharper against Cardiff though and I'm in the 'anybody but Jela' camp at the moment.

Back on topic, decent squad now and hopefully the end of players playing ridiculously out of position or still playing when clearly out of form.

Fair point about out of form/position players continuing in the side.

I've been harsh on Ossie the past week, but played all the games because we didn't have a decent option at the time. With our new additions and in anticipation all the onus will not be on him to create most of our goal scoring chances he may even get the odd rest at some point, if our creative players give us those options and bundles of chances instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.