Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Villa do need a lot of work but Lambert has a good core in Given, Dunne, N'Zogbia, Albrighton, Bent and Agbonlahor. A couple of decent bosmans or loans, some of their young players finding their feet and better organisation could see them being a much stronger proposition.

The RS have a good defence. If Saurez, Gerrard and new signings (Sigurdsson) can nick a goal at the other end they could be in the mix.

I do think Newcastle will take a step backwards. They've neutralised Ba to make Cisse more effective, their defence isn't the most solid, they don't have depth, Ashley and Pardew are bound to self-sabotage and Europe will take it out of them.

Spurs apparently have a wage cap of £70k. It sounds like they'd want £40m upwards for Bale but that Barca are looking at cheaper alternatives. Going off how Levy played hardball with Chelsea over Modric, I think he'd rather sell fringe players rather than the crown jewels. How much would they get for Defoe, Pienaar, Dos Santos, Gomes, Bentley, Bassong and Jenas? Maybe £30m? Will they find buyers? I understand that Redknapp was told to cut the wage bill before he was allowed to bring in any more high earners. Bentley and Jenas in particular have found first team opportunities hard to come by. Would Villa actually pay for the latter? As we've found with Yobo, Yakubu and Saha, sometimes you have to virtually give players away to get them off the wage bill.

Spurs went off like a rocket last year, whereas we had our usual pedestrian start. How would they have got on without Adebayor or if Bale got injured? All things being equal, I think we can pretty much match them.

You've just answered why none of them and us will challenge top 4, not enough class to sustain the push. Spurs still have talent and will do next season.

Spurs need to cull to get adebayor who still wants a ridiculous wage, not because they're in the **** financially. Selling Modric will sort them out, they can attract talent over us and villa, and pay that little bit extra in wages. And IF Moyes went, Pienaar wouldn't come here as Moyes would want to keep him.

We on the other hand will sell a big name and still need a right back, a winger, a creative midfielder, and a striker, hoping that we scout well and spend low.

I can't see how we are in a better position. We can't match them. If we could, we would do and not finish 18 points behind them

Status
Not open for further replies.