Potential Future Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Hibbert's 3rd leg

Banned as requested
This is a topic that is brought up now and again, but I thought it was a relatively appropriate time to bring it up again.

With so called veterans leaving and the club entering a new era on and off the pitch, I feel we may lack some leaders. The most experience we have is Jags, Baines and Coleman (who have long been at the club) and Barry.

For me, potential future Captains of the team are Besic and Barkely. But both have their drawbacks. Besic has the clichéd 'passion' and his interviews show a really high dedication to the club, as well as his vocal antics on the pitch. Though he will have to start nailing down a starting position. Barkley is a blue and an exceptional talent but I doubt his leading abilities at this stage, perhaps later in his career.

Obviously we may bring in new players who have such an impact that they may be considered, and Koeman will have his own ideas but I thought it was an interesting topic going into the new season with real change and progress, and leadership is at ten heart of that.

Should have been Stones, but I'll go with Coleman with immediate effect (Jagielka moves to club captain) and Barkley if he can become a leader on the pitch - something he isn't right now. Baines is far too quiet and isn't in the running, for me.

.....there's a key aspect of being a captain that no onlookers are aware of, it's the respect and influence of teammates and ambassador for the club. Some folk think it's about the one who claps hands and shouts a lot on the pitch but those types will do that regardless of the arm band.

Jagielka is a fine skipper from what I hear, perhaps Coleman has similar traits.

Coleman probably is the obvious choice but I think in years to come if he steps up its got to be Ross.

I don't think Mirallas would make a bad captain if he's a regular starter, might curb his aggression a bit too.

This is a topic that is brought up now and again, but I thought it was a relatively appropriate time to bring it up again.

With so called veterans leaving and the club entering a new era on and off the pitch, I feel we may lack some leaders. The most experience we have is Jags, Baines and Coleman (who have long been at the club) and Barry.

For me, potential future Captains of the team are Besic and Barkely. But both have their drawbacks. Besic has the clichéd 'passion' and his interviews show a really high dedication to the club, as well as his vocal antics on the pitch. Though he will have to start nailing down a starting position. Barkley is a blue and an exceptional talent but I doubt his leading abilities at this stage, perhaps later in his career.

Obviously we may bring in new players who have such an impact that they may be considered, and Koeman will have his own ideas but I thought it was an interesting topic going into the new season with real change and progress, and leadership is at ten heart of that.

We haven't signed him yet - as there's not a decent candidate here at the moment, wait until we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.