Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not about stopping it or preventing it though which you correctly point out is not going to happen, it is about slowing it down to give hospitals and other infastructure a chance to deal with it.

China had to build 7 new hospitals within 10 days to deal with the amount of sufferers that presented in a very small timeframe. UK is not able to do that, so if there are measures available which reduce the likelihood of thousands of people presenting with symptoms all at once, and can hopefully spread thise cases out over 6 months rather than 6 days, it is simple good governance to implement them.

The alternative is wait until it has got a foothold, killed dozens or hundreds of people, then react afterwards.
I don't think people will accept it until the alternative is seen to be honest.

Hold on 3500 Atletico fans flew in from an infected Madrid, went on the town, then to the game and then on the town again before going to Speke to fly back.

Have I missed anything?

PS I had my out patients appt for 24 th March to check my hip replant cancelled and put off for 6 weeks!!!

Nope you've missed nothing. Utter stupidity.

Put it this way
If they did not get the virus they would have had a much better chance of blowing out the candles on their next birthday cake
Maybe. My wife's cousin died a few months ago at 54. His heart tore to pieces. We all know stories of people who died prematurely. There are no guarantees. Is the virus virulent enough to kill healthy people? It is probably too early to tell. But I do not like the idea that deaths from other causes may be attributed to the virus because it is present in the body (if at all) or the person had flu-like symptoms. I am no expert, so hopefully someone else can chime in, but I believe that the state of scientific understanding of viruses is limited. I have also read that the test for coronavirus is seriously flawed. Here in Australia the grand prix is going ahead. Either the state government is willfully and irresponsibly endangering tens of thousands of lives or they understand that coronavirus is no worse than regular old flu or a cold.

Maybe. My wife's cousin died a few months ago at 54. His heart tore to pieces. We all know stories of people who died prematurely. There are no guarantees. Is the virus virulent enough to kill healthy people? It is probably too early to tell. But I do not like the idea that deaths from other causes may be attributed to the virus because it is present in the body (if at all) or the person had flu-like symptoms. I am no expert, so hopefully someone else can chime in, but I believe that the state of scientific understanding of viruses is limited. I have also read that the test for coronavirus is seriously flawed. Here in Australia the grand prix is going ahead. Either the state government is willfully and irresponsibly endangering tens of thousands of lives or they understand that coronavirus is no worse than regular old flu or a cold.

Hamilton unhappy. My condolences to you as well.

OK so give me a good reason to cancel the merseyside derby on Monday night? What are the actual health risks involved with the match going ahead?
Let’s see
3000 fans from a highly infected city in the city for 2 days
5 days later get 40,000 fans from the same city and all over the country into a confined space for 3 hours
I suppose as long as they all wash their hands it’ll be grand

Taps in the LGS toilets don’t work,
Call Monday off

alternatively the last ever football match played before the apocalypse was the Merseyside Derby

Let’s see
3000 fans from a highly infected city in the city for 2 days
5 days later get 40,000 fans from the same city and all over the country into a confined space for 3 hours
I suppose as long as they all wash their hands it’ll be grand
If it was deemed safe for the 3,000 spanish to travel to the UK for a match, what GOOD reason would there be to stop the people of merseyside remaining in merseyside for another match?

You've got to get ahead of Coronovirus, that's the only way. That means listening to the experts, and stopping gatherings (even if that includes footie).

If you chose to play catch catch up and only take action after the worst scenario has hit, then you find yourself in a zombie hell like those poor sods in Wuhan and northern Italy.

I'm speaking from experience, as somebody working in China at moment who has been in lockdown for 6 weeks now.

If it was deemed safe for the 3,000 spanish to travel to the UK for a match, what GOOD reason would there be to stop the people of merseyside remaining in merseyside for another match?
Because there was no good reason for the 3000 to be allowed travel
Why would you allow 3000 people from a heavily infected area into Liverpool
Academic now as game will be behind closed doors

Because all those RS fans have been mixing with Atletico fans so don't want them coming to GP to foul up thee place.;)
I assume you realise that most, if not all of those Athletico fans probably don't have coronavirus but lets assume they did. Some RS fans may have been infected, they'll then go home to their family and mix with them, they'll go to work and mix with people there, they'll go to the shops, to the pub, to the park, to the gym. If people feel OK to go to a football match on a monday night then they'll have been mixing with other people for the previous few days. So how does cancelling the match prevent the spread of the virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.