Match Thread POSTPONED: Everton v Manchester City - Preview only

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be fair enough if that’s true. I’d love to believe that. Honestly.

But I also don’t know why one would assume that.

Isn’t this a public relations campaign to garnish empathy and make both the PL and what seems like City look bad?

Why no positive words towards City about the cases then?

That seems odd to not include if you aren’t coming in with some kind of suspicion about them as a club, which seems to me that you full well know about their reputation.

If you had a problem with what happened why go public and not directly behind doors to the PL? Did they? What happened, if so, that did not suffice?

How you can know for sure Everton did due diligence here for certain I would love to be shown evidence of. Genuinely.

I don’t think any club with all of the millions of pounds at stake during a pandemic that decimated finances and economies would would completely be immune from influence of those pressures in their decision making to gain a competitive advantage.

A public relations campaign to make city look bad?
Slight delusions of grandeur. Let me assure you again nobody here cares about your media status. Is that why man city fans are pelting Everton all over social media? Is it to try and deflect from criticism that there may just be a slight chance city pulled a fast one. Good luck to you if you did. But hey, let us know next time. We'll keep our people at home.

Why is there so much distrust of the PL, if I am understanding this?

You would almost have to assume that there would be malicious intent here, and let’s not leave out the safety concerns.

It strikes me as a bit sad that all we are talking about is the competitive part of this story as if the spread of a disease that has caused so much devastation is less important.

Can anyone see that POV for a moment?

Don't exist in your mind because you are obviously just as one eyed, crass, and callous as whoever put the statement out. I understand sticking up for your club, but you are displaying all the traits one usually associates with your neighbours. Like two cheeks of the same smacked arse.
Mate if it was the other way around I really wouldn't be arsed that City didn't wish our players well, This is coming across like some petty point scoring here.

My argument is that yesterday plenty were protesting that it would never have been called off for an unfavoured team and the points should be forfeited but wouldn't be 'cos it's a Sky6 team.

Fulham may well have handled it better but Spurs were still waiting for confirmation until 3 hours before kickoff. I doubt everything would have been on hold to a much greater extent than Everton who got confirmation 4 hours beforehand after a PL board meeting - difficult to believe there wouldn't have been a whisper to someone at Everton that there was some doubt before this meeting.

Well again isnt that the point. Quite clearly Everton hadnt heard a whimper or word. At least it looks like spurs and fulham were in consultation. Does it look like Everton were, at any stage? Nope.

City supporter here.

I haven’t read this entire thread, but seems to me this:

Everton are well within their right to ask the PL what happened. However, the question is why did someone think it wise to publish that statement publicly rather than raise it with the PL internally? And why not say anything regarding support towards those who contracted it or something like this?

I think it’s safe to say City’s reputation amongst certain loud fans and journalists is that of “cheaters” “human rights violators” “state owned” and “ruining football” with “no/plastic fans” “cheque book managers” etc.

Whenever Ian Darke comments on City games he constantly lists player fees, and only this season have I noticed less of the cost of the squad other than he as I have heard it regularly in UK broadcasts of games especially against lower opposition. Maybe some don’t notice City’s reputation was so poor, but surely you would have to live in a bubble.

Whoever wrote that statement must have known that Everton would gain sympathy from the long list of fans/journalists who would jump to the idea that it’s “that state owned club City at it again.” Left wing journalists who openly dispise City like Phillippe Auclaire and a human rights documentary film maker (Liverpool supporter I believe) raise questions as soon as the statement is made. The more Tory/pro-Brexit oriented hate City as well as outsiders.

This plays right to that tune, when I wonder if or why they felt it had to be made officially by the club. The lack of positive comment about City also implies that you think City may be “cheating” or hiding something to postpone the game and that maybe the PL glossed over this too easily.

Btw, for anyone still reading, I have defended or at least openly wondered if there were good reasons for Everton’s to ask this publicly. I have tried to determine by debating and asking questions on PL policies regarding COVID, issues with fixture congestion during this period and bank holidiays if that affected the delay and could that be a factor, etc. to other City supporters and journalists. That has gotten me in some fans’ sights, when I was trying hard to empathize with Everton’s reasoning. So I am very much interested in being fair.

respect.
TLDR..... ask yourself 1 question....

why am I on the everton fans forum desperately trying to defend the actions of my club?

If City and some (not you) of their fans hadn't behaved in a questionable manner you wouldn't feel the need to be here

A public relations campaign to make city look bad?
Slight delusions of grandeur. Let me assure you again nobody here cares about your media status. Is that why man city fans are pelting Everton all over social media? Is it to try and deflect from criticism that there may just be a slight chance city pulled a fast one. Good luck to you if you did. But hey, let us know next time. We'll keep our people at home.
City fans feel EXTREMELY victimised from the media over the years, and of course going back to issues with United’s fans treatment towards them for generations, but very much also about the feeling about how the club is portrayed.

So whenever something seems like it plays into that fans get very upset and feel it further justifies this. Even fans who don’t share the vitriol can be attacked. It becomes a siege mentality, that I will say makes a lot of sense to me, because I can see it too.

We all can see things easier when they make sense to us, even if they aren’t always entirely true in every instance.

It relates to how City are portrayed vs. Liverpool for example. Actually City fans as far as I can recall generally have had more adoration and respect towards your club and fans prior to this.

If you canfor a moment to step into the shoes of what City fans feel you can understand this.

There have even been writers, respected ones, who have pointed this out so it’s maybe not just a delusion, but based on what is experienced and seen. That’s how people come to their views.

I am genuinely trying to do that here and am listening. Sad tribalism that makes football fun at times can also lead to more negative aspects.

Well it's just tribal nonsense isn't it.

I'm not sure there could have been a difference in terms of timing. The tests took place the day after their Newcastle game and they got the results back the morning after. Because of the nonsense scheduling, it also happened to be the day of our game.

The PL should have involved Everton, and that's on the PL.
How is it tribal nonsense?

Everton are being made out to be monsters for asking some pertinent questions about the process that we were specifically excluded from, even though we were hosting the match?

I'm glad the club have asked for full disclosure, why shouldn't they?

If you really believe that about the testing/timing, and that only the pl should be held to account, then I don't know what else to say to you.

Surely someone at city could have had the common decency to pick the phone up and talk to Everton officials whilst everything was going down with the pl.

Looks like spurs were part of the process with fulham, and I am sure we would include the opposition if we were the team having the covid outbreak - so why do city and the pl think that they are special? Wouldn't have anything to do with money would it?

City fans gobbin off bet didn't even support them 15 years ago when you were a bag of crap, coming on another clubs site talking wham how arrogant has your club and supporters become.
Can’t vouch for all but myself since 1980s and Stony is a fat old cu. nt who’s been a fan since the 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.