6 + 2 Point Deductions

Only £2.2 million for the stadium costs issue? Seems very low. Do you have a source for that? (Genuine question).

It's the interest on the commercial loan we took out and claimed it against the stadium costs.

£7.6mill was the transfer levy clubs pay the premier league.

The commission dismissed them, so ended up being £19.5mill over rather than £9.5mill or so.

But £19mill over = 10 points doesn't really add up. Especially when they dismissed the mitigating factors (war, player X etc) as to why we went over.

Then the new charge just follows on from that which I assume is based on less than the above figure.

Last edited:
Only £2.2 million for the stadium costs issue? Seems very low. Do you have a source for that? (Genuine question).
psr.jpg

Defo not 2m, anything from 4m to 9.3m it seems.

People need to read the actual information that’s out there on the breach and the views of the commission. We have absolutely zero chance of getting all ten points back. Zero. We have admitted to the breach for starters so we have clearly broken some rules.

What we will be doing is arguing for mitigation to reduce the points penalty. However contrary to what people are saying, we don’t have much room for manoeuvre. Our best bet is is going down the road that the punishment is overly harsh. The precedent used against us was from the EFL and Sheff Wed. They got 12 points reduced to 6 on appeal.

Arguing the stadium costs shouldn’t be included ain’t gonna wash. That only accounted for £2.2 million and we were apparently just over £20 million above allowed. Also the loan we are arguing about in terms of interest payments was from Metro Bank. If you read this loan application (which the commission has) it clearly states “not to be used for the stadium”. So this just won’t work.

Best case is we say it’s too harsh for a first time offence and get it reduced to five. We will then need to be clear of the bottom three at the end of season. The second breach will probably take two further points from us.

The reasons we gave for breaching aren’t likely to get us off.

One of the reasons we gave was to quote “well we needed a midfield”.
The loan application also stated that that loan wasn’t for the stadium but for the club. potentially for transfers/wages. Meaning that it went against us as we couldn’t argue against what was written down.

There's a lot of conjecture about Everton's guilt, for and against. But what the KC needs to do and I think the likes of Andy Burnham (former MP and Secretary of State for Sport in the DCMS) and his counterparts Sue Owen (formerly of the DCMS), Brendan Barber (former TUC chief) and Mark Carney (former Bank of England Chief) have already pointed out, is that there is a lot of irregularities going on with the PL and (D___) Richard Masters and the whole process that has led to Everton to be charged is not credible. Any loopholes should be aimed at that. There's a lot more that will be picked off I'm sure including the punishment itself.

I don't think the likes of the former boss of the Bank of England are fools.

I think there's a bit of power and media battle going on. The common attitude is that we broke the rules. We get punished. Few are actually looking under the bonnet. The treatment of Everton isn't getting much sympathy. But at least the spotlight is slowly going on Masters.

Watch that interview on the podcast, Andy Burnham is on the ball.

Any points deduction is farcical. It’s not a crime that warrants a points deduction.
You say farcical, I say malicious.

It's a the first time the FFP rules have been breached in this nature and they should be looking to set a precedent for future offenses.

A fine would have been sufficient or a slap on the wrist with a warning that if our losses keep on going over the acceptable amount in the upcoming seasons, a harsher punishment will be inflicted.

But it just seems like they came blasting out of the front door with guns blazing to take us down. It's hard not to take it personally.

You say farcical, I say malicious.

It's a the first time the FFP rules have been breached in this nature and they should be looking to set a precedent for future offenses.

A fine would have been sufficient or a slap on the wrist with a warning that if our losses keep on going over the acceptable amount in the upcoming seasons, a harsher punishment will be inflicted.

But it just seems like they came blasting out of the front door with guns blazing to take us down. It's hard not to take it personally.

We are dealing with state supported / Billionaire owners. Fines would not deter them. Should have been a transfer ban

Not really as come the summer we will have about 15 players, potentially less, a transfer ban would be the final nail in the coffin imo. Has to be a fine of sorts.
Well like @Moomin said, it has to be harsh enough just to punish the owners.

But taking 10 points away from us? That's punishing the players, the fans, in fact everyone at the club.

Well like @Moomin said, it has to be harsh enough just to punish the owners.

But taking 10 points away from us? That's punishing the players, the fans, in fact everyone at the club.
It's not "Everyone at the club" tho.

The owner is still here & the board that overseen this have walked away with a big fat cheque each.