Playing without a target man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool have blistering pace amongst their forwards. Ours are like the Father Ted Over 75's all priests 5-a-side team.

...they also play at a tempo and with flexibility up front. Like us, they don't really have conventional wingers, Mane in particular cuts inside and the speed merchant on the other side gets himself in goal scoring positions (I'm already wondering how Baines will cope).

You certainly can play without a target man. There's plenty of people who would rather we did I think, but I'm not sure we have the players to do it.

Most of our defenders aren't comfortable on the ball, so they end up playing quite a lot of long balls when under pressure. Without a target man that's going to mean the ball just comes straight back. Sigurdsson's strength is crossing the ball, and Klaassen's appears to be getting ahead of the striker into the box. Neither of which are massively useful without a striker playing with their back to goal. We also lack players who can pick passes from midfield, so if Sandro is going to play centrally I'm not sure who's going to be playing him in.

I think we'll be asking DCL to step up big time this year.

Absolutely right, our lack of pace was obvious in all of the preseason and league games so far, with the possible exception of the home leg against Split when we had Miralles and Lookman playing wide.
Literally, we've looked absolutely awful without two wingers on the pitch and a back 4.

And Koemans pride means Kev is out the squad etc, pathetic for me. Sort it out and play a real formation that suits us.

If you are looking at our teams strengths, we seem best suited for for parking the bus since we have two very good defensive mids in Gueye and Shnieds plus very good new cb and gk. Problem is we have no counter attack pace.

Against less good teams - like hadjuk split, bottom half prem teams, we should have the skills to pass the ball (slowly) up field right into the box for scoring opportunities.

Only realistic hope is that sandro steps up (i don't think DCL has the skill or experience to come through for us this season unfortunately - hope I'm wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.