Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should give him and Baines joint testimonial and then allow him to leave. He has been a good servant and at the height of his powers turned down Arsenal stating he already gets paid enough and likes it here. If he was happy to stay as a back up I would keep him as he's a good example for younger players but I imagine he still wants to play so we should afford him this opportunity.
I'd love to see that quite about he gets paid enough that doesn't exist

Hopefully the extended timeout he's been on has sorted out his head.

He's been a liability this season.
Tbh thought he started the season well, the partnership with Williams in the first run of games looked to be working. Then he made a few mistakes and think it got to him and, unlike when he had a similar spell under Martinez, he didn't have a great England game to boost his confidence and the reality is that he is a couple of years older anyhow.

Hope he plays a blinder today.

Tbh thought he started the season well, the partnership with Williams in the first run of games looked to be working. Then he made a few mistakes and think it got to him and, unlike when he had a similar spell under Martinez, he didn't have a great England game to boost his confidence and the reality is that he is a couple of years older anyhow.

Hope he plays a blinder today.

he's always been a very good footballer and defender, but i think his mentality is what has hindered his potential to become a really top player. Always rated him at sheff utd and wondered why it took him a while to become a prem player. I wouldn't say he's that great when the pressure is really high and that's why imo he hasn't got as much england caps as he should have had.

he's always been a very good footballer and defender, but i think his mentality is what has hindered his potential to become a really top player. Always rated him at sheff utd and wondered why it took him a while to become a prem player. I wouldn't say he's that great when the pressure is really high and that's why imo he hasn't got as much england caps as he should have had.
I'd agree with that but wouldn't say his issue is that he isn't great when the pressure is high as seen him be MOTM in lots of big games (semi final game vs United probably the most recent example despite him having a hamstring injury).

Think he is a confidence player so when he has a bad run of form he dwells on it and gets into a bad cycle rather than being able to shake it off - don't think he was any more at fault than Cahill for England's performances at Brazil world cup yet it seemed to affect him far more than Cahill.

don't think he was any more at fault than Cahill for England's performances at Brazil world cup yet it seemed to affect him far more than Cahill.

Probably because neutrals and the media will always give him, and any Everton player, ten times more stick than the equivalent top six counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.