Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were poor but i suspect the amateur nature of our preperation contributed to the loss, particularly when it comes to penalties. There is a certain amount of luck involved, but steps can be taken to minimise that. Just look at the 'penalty strike rate' for the RS compared to ours.
Dyche said that everyone has their own style of penalty taking. That shouldn't be allowed. They should be coached to hit penalties firm and into the corners (preferably the top corners) - no whacking it down the middle and hoping for the best, no stuttered run-ups (which is just cheating anyway), no Panenka's. Maximise the chance of scoring. No doubt that's what the RS do. We probably just leave our lot wander off unsupervised to take a few penalties amongst themselves/lark about.
You okay mate?

You okay mate?
Aye, i was still a bit peeved earlier today. Tonight's alcohol has 'smoothed the edges' a bit. I do still think that there must be something more than luck/coincidence that makes some teams better at penalties (as i said the RS have always been good at them no matter who was playing for them at the time) and all i can think of is it must be the nature of the training/practise....................and don't even get me started on throw-ins!
I think i need another glass.

I do think there's a long standing mentality issue with the club but last night out of 8 penalties we scored 6, hit the post and 1 player had a moment of total arrogant madness which hopefully will never be seen again. Don't think there's any evidence there we didn't prepare.

If we apply this logic then penalty shoot outs will never end as every player will just blast it into the corner. Of course they get missed sometimes.

Our record on penalties is comically bad. In my time as a supporter we've took part in 18 shoot-outs in all competitions losing 13 of them.

Charlton 1987, home, Full Members Cup, lost.
Rangers 1988, neutral venue, Dubai Super Cup, lost.
Sunderland 1998, home, League Cup, 1998, lost.
Bristol Rovers 2000, away, League Cup, lost.
Crystal Palace, 2001, home, League Cup, lost.
Newcastle, 2002, away, League Cup, won.
Middlesbrough, 2003, away, League Cup, lost.
Bristol City, 2004, away, League Cup, won.
Fiorentina, 2008, home, UEFA Cup, lost.
Man Utd, 2009, wembley, FA Cup, won.
Brentford, 2010, away, League Cup, lost.
Chelsea, 2011, away, FA Cup, won.
West Ham, 2015, away, FA Cup, lost.
Norwich, 2015, home, League Cup, won.
Southampton, 2015, home, League Cup, lost.
Leicester, 2019, home, League Cup, lost.
QPR, 2021, away, League Cup, lost.
Fulham, 2023, home, League Cup, lost.

We were poor but i suspect the amateur nature of our preperation contributed to the loss, particularly when it comes to penalties. There is a certain amount of luck involved, but steps can be taken to minimise that. Just look at the 'penalty strike rate' for the RS compared to ours.
Dyche said that everyone has their own style of penalty taking. That shouldn't be allowed. They should be coached to hit penalties firm and into the corners (preferably the top corners) - no whacking it down the middle and hoping for the best, no stuttered run-ups (which is just cheating anyway), no Panenka's. Maximise the chance of scoring. No doubt that's what the RS do. We probably just leave our lot wander off unsupervised to take a few penalties amongst themselves/lark about.
Whatever you think about Dyche, i don't get the impression that his approach to training is to let the players "wander off unsupervised" or to "lark about". He doesn't even let them go without shinnies ffs.

Our record on penalties is comically bad. In my time as a supporter we've took part in 18 shoot-outs in all competitions losing 13 of them.

Charlton 1987, home, Full Members Cup, lost.
Rangers 1988, neutral venue, Dubai Super Cup, lost.
Sunderland 1998, home, League Cup, 1998, lost.
Bristol Rovers 2000, away, League Cup, lost.
Crystal Palace, 2001, home, League Cup, lost.
Newcastle, 2002, away, League Cup, won.
Middlesbrough, 2003, away, League Cup, lost.
Bristol City, 2004, away, League Cup, won.
Fiorentina, 2008, home, UEFA Cup, lost.
Man Utd, 2009, wembley, FA Cup, won.
Brentford, 2010, away, League Cup, lost.
Chelsea, 2011, away, FA Cup, won.
West Ham, 2015, away, FA Cup, lost.
Norwich, 2015, home, League Cup, won.
Southampton, 2015, home, League Cup, lost.
Leicester, 2019, home, League Cup, lost.
QPR, 2021, away, League Cup, lost.
Fulham, 2023, home, League Cup, lost.
Is that how long ago that was. And they say time heals. They lied!

Above waist height, either side of the keeper. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a penalty saved in these areas all the years I’ve watched football.

YNWA lad.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.