Outfield Players in Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure Vinnie Jones went in goal against us at Goodison in a night game. My memory is crap, we played either Wimbledon or West Ham

Jose Enrique for Liverpool against former team Newcastle after Pepe Reina was sent off and all substitutions have been made. Enrique, sadly, has very little to do after putting the gloves on

October, 2006. John Terry replaces Carlo Cudicini the injured in goal after the Italian had replaced Petr Cech who sustained a fracture to his skull following a challenge from Stephen Hunt.

[video=youtube;Hbtgt6amNM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hbtgt6amNM0[/video]

Rio Ferdinand against Portsmouth in the 2007/08 FA Cup Quarter Final at Old Trafford. Edwin Van der Sar was injured and replaced at half time but Kuszczak was sent off conceding the penalty, Ferdinand took his place. Doesn’t look like Rooney’s advice was much use either.

I remember Steve Staunton in goal against us in an Anfield derby. I remember fuming that we ONLY won 1-0 and never tested him! lol

Rangel had to go in goal for Swansea on Sunday as Vorm was sent off and all 3 subs were on.

Brilliant when this happens although with sub keepers these days it is rare. I remember Vinny Jones having to play in goal once:

[video=youtube;YqqZlRJRPlk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqqZlRJRPlk[/video]

Lucas Radebe was pretty boss as a goalie

tumblr_lpw4nbq0h01qlqonqo1_500.png

And Jags had to do half an hour for Leeds actually keeping a clean sheet

article-0-033E1528000005DC-11_468x328.jpg

So who else do you remember doing it and how many times has it happened to Everton?

Sheffield United surely ;)

I remember Steve Staunton in goal against us in an Anfield derby. I remember fuming that we ONLY won 1-0 and never tested him! lol

just found this slightly amusing piece on it.I'd forgotten he went back to play for them.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2010/02/04/1775786/liverpool-v-everton-why-do-so-many-players-see-red-in-the
Everton’s last win at Anfield came in September 1999, but more memorable than Kevin Campbell’s winning goal at the Kop End is the sight of Reds' keeper Sander Westerveld and Blues' forward Francis Jeffers scrapping their way to an early bath. The images of the 6ft-plus Westerveld struggling against the diminutive Jeffers are amongst the fixture's most farcical. The red cards were deserved if only for the pathetic nature of the 'fight'.

A 19-year-old Steven Gerrard would follow the pair down the tunnel later on after raking six-studs down Campbell’s thigh, as the game finished with Liverpool’s nine-men (including defender Steve Staunton in goal) against Everton’s ten. Gerrard recalls Jeffers welcoming him as he trudged down the Anfield tunnel with the words "Ha ha, nice one Stevie, you took the pressure off me!".

I loved that Jeffers Westerveld punch up....

I have a distinct memory of someone doing it for us.....early 90's....nick barmby???

...amazed that none of the older guys have mentioned Sandy Brown going in goal for us. Suspect it happened more than once. Funny that we now say 'put the gloves on', but it wasn't that long ago that goalies didn't wear gloves except when the ground was wet and the ball greasy. So yep, I'm sure Sandy Brown went in goal for us but suspect there has been other instances since then.

Remember we beat west ham at home under Joe Royle and Julian Dicks had to go in goal for them. Conceded an Unsworth pen

Status
Not open for further replies.