Our gutless, ineffective midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, tbh a lot of what Neville said last night was true, and the truth hurts.

But it did seem a strangely intense and personal attack

Yeah. Had to check but it was against Arsenal in February when he was the same - really intense/personal attack;

Whatever our view as fans, it's a bit OTT and unprofessional from Neville really. He really goes for him - weird.

Lack of physical presence with attributes such as strength, power or pace.

Lack of technical attributes that provide creativity, goals and assists.

Often a lack of fight or desire.

Makes for bleak viewing at times. Brands hasn’t done enough in the midfield department and it needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Goals and assists, at least for the central players, aren't really the metric to use. But the things we do need them to do aren't getting done either.

Gomes - Looks broken, maybe he needs a more gradual reintroduction to the squad, throwing him basically in from the start when he came back doesn't seem to have worked.

Davies - No words needed, he isn't a PL level footballer it's quite simple. Probably not even Championship actually.

Bernard - A strange one, technically brilliant and very quick so should be fine in the 'pace of the Premier League' but as soon as he gets the ball at his feet for us he just seems to forget what to do.

Sigurdsson - Always been a fraud. He completely flopped at Spurs at a club with some ambition and expectation. Stood out at a mediocre Swansea, scores a worldy every 20 games and suddnely he's the messiah.

Delph - Basically this seasons Ashley Williams or Theo Walcott. Seasoned professional who might have a point to prove, but actually he just can't be arsed anymore.

Iwobi - see my comments from when we signed him. I've watched a lot of Arsenal the past few years and he's always been frustrating, wasteful and ineffective. I think he's better in the middle than outwide, but as Martin Keown said the other day against Norwich when asked how he was performing during the game. * big silence * "errr about the same as Arsenal'.

Walcott - that transfer window Ashley Williams. Should have a point to prove after what most would probably say was unfulilled potential at Arsenal, especially after his whining about wanting to be a striker and not a winger. Really though he isn't arsed, just here to keep getting decent £££.

Gbamin - who?

I think pace is a massive issue, Gomes and Sigurdsson can't run which is why they're better off high up the pitch. Both attacking wise, getting the ball and players forward and defensively to close down and get to loose balls is just killing us all the time. Not one of them can tackle, obviously the unforseen issues with Gbamin who'd have been this seasons Gueye has caused a major problem. Passing is just mind blowing we must have some of the worst ball retention in the league.

The answer is Holgate in the short term. Holgate and Gomes and then we can see if Gomes is cooked because of the injury or whether it's the fact he always has an inept partner.

Mina and Keane can do a good enough job in defence.

....I do think we have to be careful with stats, though. Comparing CMs to wide midfielders is a bit like comparing apples with pears.

We desperately need greater creativity and goal contribution from wide positions. That requirement will be less for the DMs, their requirement will be lots more about winning possession, keeping possession, making ground etc.

On all counts, we can tell with our eyes that we are dreadfully lacking.

i’ve said for a long time we lack pace, quality and running power in CM just as much as we lack creativity and goals in wide areas. Sadly, whilst Gbamin might have made a difference, Brands has not addressed the situation.

Just spotted an interesting thread on Twitter.

I've been lazy and not fact checked it, but the summary of which is below;

André Gomes - 42 games - 1 goal - 1 assist.
Tom Davies - 100 games - 5 goals - 4 assists.
Bernard - 57 games - 4 goals - 5 assists.
Sigurdsson - 95 games - 19 goals
Delph - 16 Games - 0 Goals - 0 assists
Iwobi - 22 games - 1 goal - 0 assists
Walcott - 72 games - 9 goals - 5 assists

That is our midfield week in week out here are the stats combined.

Appearances - 404
Goals - 39
Assists - 26

I also see stuff like this and start to think it's not just my eyes deceiving me about how weak in the tackle this midfield is;

Stats aside, football teams with midfielders who don't score, or assist - aren't going to be good football teams.

In conclusion then - every pound we have to spend in the next window needs to be on midfielders. They'll all useless. Offer nothing off, or on the ball.

Missing Siggy's assists?

The answer is Holgate in the short term. Holgate and Gomes and then we can see if Gomes is cooked because of the injury or whether it's the fact he always has an inept partner.

Mina and Keane can do a good enough job in defence.
Was thinking that last night. Needs must. He has been excellent at the back, but we are so lacking in midfield at least Holgate offers urgency and energy in the middle of the park.

Yeah. Had to check but it was against Arsenal in February when he was the same - really intense/personal attack;

Whatever our view as fans, it's a bit OTT and unprofessional from Neville really. He really goes for him - weird.

Neville comes from a side who had standards and accepted personal responsibility. Can you imagine Roy Keane or Fergie in the dressing room at half time if United players had avoided making those challenges?

Sigurdsson wasn't the only culprit by any means but his refusal to make a tackle was extremely bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.