Our Goodison Photographs

The Grand old lady - notice the wear down the centre of the grassed pitch back then -

1711196384016.png

A great pre-1925 pic. Old Bullens Rd stand and houses on both sides of Gwladys St with only a small terrace. Note the cut-out in the back of the Park-end stand because of the row of houses there too.
Also notice you could walk around from the Gwladys street end - to parts of the ground - my older brother told me in the early 1960s it was only blocked at the far end of the old paddock in the corner where the boys pen was ?

The Grand old lady - notice the wear down the centre of the grassed pitch back then -

View attachment 249753

That was the time that we should have made space around Goodison. You can see they flattened the row closest to the Gwladys street when they built the current structure.

Does anyone know when and why they knocked several rows of terraced houses immediately behind the Gwladys street?

That was the time that we should have made space around Goodison. You can see they flattened the row closest to the Gwladys street when they built the current structure.

Does anyone know when and why they knocked several rows of terraced houses immediately behind the Gwladys street?
Very early on - but the problem at the time that stopped further expansion was the Junior school that was by Gwladys street - which has now closed ....

Claudia Street was in a really poor state by the 1980s. I still recall a friend still had an outside toilet. A social landlord / cooperative redeveloped the estate that you see today. Here's Claudia Street just prior to redevelopment.