Homepage Update: [OPINION] Mental Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
Groucho submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

[OPINION] Mental Health
goodisonpark.jpg

Aaron Lennon's return to training has spurred me on to write a few things about mental health, and the thread we have on GrandOldTeam about help on the issue.

I am extremely pleased to see the return to training of a man who was clearly in turmoil. While his method of a cry for help was perhaps not what we would advise, his experience certainly shows that once help is sought and provided, it can really improve a persons life.

World Mental Health day is a wonderful thing, and retweeting messages of support once a year is great, however sufferers need help all year round, not just when it is trendy.

The thread I began out of frustration for my wife's experience with post natal depression has helped a lot of people. We've even had a few notes saying it's stopped them from doing something awful. I say this not to pat ourselves on the back, but rather to highlight the good that comes from helping people who need help.

Also, when I started it, never in a million years did I think I'd need the help the thread offers myself - but need it I did. Well done all those who continue to contribute, you really do make a difference.

Fans of all clubs are welcome, please use if needed: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...epression-mental-health-related-issues.62441/

Great thread

My brother suffered from depression and it nearly destroyed him, it was tragic to watch his decline over a period of months and lord knows without that first step of recognising the state of mind and then accessing help he may well not be here today.

If it wasn't for the charity MIND then who knows what he might have done so anything to help this cause I'm in.

Mental health can strike anyone at any time for any length of time, scary thing is some people who are sufferers don't realise it

Such a great thread the mental health one, having battled my own demons whilst in the forces and learning to be able to help my wife when she had post natal. Always good to know there are people you can talk too without being judged and who fully understand what you are going through.

GOT has always been a good at bringing people together when they need it. The depression thread is a great reflection of that. Well done to everyone who has made the vital first step to speak out and those who have supported them,

The mental health thread on here is a credit to the forum - and to the people who take part in it in good faith.

I've never seen anything like that on any Everton forum before; it has to be a real comforting resource for those who find themselves in a bleak place.

And while I wouldn't draw positive and negative distinctions between what the club attempt do and what this site does, I would state that in the case of EFC they have to uphold mission statements concerning football and their community outreach - which is expected of clubs these days in the top flight - whilst this forum has no such obligation but carries it out in any case.

[OPINION] Mental Health
goodisonpark.jpg

Aaron Lennon's return to training has spurred me on to write a few things about mental health, and the thread we have on GrandOldTeam about help on the issue.

I am extremely pleased to see the return to training of a man who was clearly in turmoil. While his method of a cry for help was perhaps not what we would advise, his experience certainly shows that once help is sought and provided, it can really improve a persons life.

World Mental Health day is a wonderful thing, and retweeting messages of support once a year is great, however sufferers need help all year round, not just when it is trendy.

The thread I began out of frustration for my wife's experience with post natal depression has helped a lot of people. We've even had a few notes saying it's stopped them from doing something awful. I say this not to pat ourselves on the back, but rather to highlight the good that comes from helping people who need help.

Also, when I started it, never in a million years did I think I'd need the help the thread offers myself - but need it I did. Well done all those who continue to contribute, you really do make a difference.

Fans of all clubs are welcome, please use if needed: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...epression-mental-health-related-issues.62441/

Great post about a great thread. I've worked in mental health services of one kind or another for 12 years now and communication is the key, as it is with most things in life. Having a space to talk about how you feel is paramount and men struggle to find such places in their lives. That is why suicide has become one of the biggest causes of death for adult
males in the UK. Threads like yours, on supportive forums like this one, make a real difference. Long may it continue.

I feel I can contribute to the thread and will make a point of checking in regularly and offer advice where appropriate.

COYB!

We have a 'break the stigma' initiative at work, where they ask for volunteers to be mental health 'buddies' so that people who may be struggling know there are people they can speak to who wont judge, wont gossip, will literally just sit there and listen! When we did the training course they had a young woman attend who told us her story! Absolutely lovely girl, very pretty, very successful in her job, healthy, as were all her friends and family. she had a loving boyfriend, a nice house with nice neighbours, everything was perfect in her life.

Then one morning she woke up and realised she was a worthless whore (her words) who was a stain on the face of the earth and she would be doing the earth a favour if she ended her life! It took almost 11 months of treatment to get her back to realising that she wasnt! Possibly the most shocking speech i have ever heard (and I once attended a presentation from the senior fireman at the Kings Cross fire)! The point being that it isnt allways driven by events or desperation, to this day this lady has no idea why she started to think the way she did, but fortunately all the bridges she burned while she was ill, were subsequently rebuilt and she is now married to the loving boyfriend and expecting their first child!

So keep an eye on your mates, your family and your co-workers and if they are looking like they are struggling, ask them if they fancy a coffee or a pint and then just ask them if they are OK. Tell the person, they are really liked and nobody would like to see them not at their happiest. If they are loking for somebody to speak to they will speak. If not try again if their condition seems to be deteriorating.

The mental health thread on here is a credit to the forum - and to the people who take part in it in good faith.

I've never seen anything like that on any Everton forum before; it has to be a real comforting resource for those who find themselves in a bleak place.

And while I wouldn't draw positive and negative distinctions between what the club attempt do and what this site does, I would state that in the case of EFC they have to uphold mission statements concerning football and their community outreach - which is expected of clubs these days in the top flight - whilst this forum has no such obligation but carries it out in any case.
Well said Dave!

Great post about a great thread. I've worked in mental health services of one kind or another for 12 years now and communication is the key, as it is with most things in life. Having a space to talk about how you feel is paramount and men struggle to find such places in their lives. That is why suicide has become one of the biggest causes of death for adult
males in the UK. Threads like yours, on supportive forums like this one, make a real difference. Long may it continue.

I feel I can contribute to the thread and will make a point of checking in regularly and offer advice where appropriate.

COYB!
It is proven to be worse with Northern men too, we are just so hard, we never need to ask for help! :/

[OPINION] Mental Health
goodisonpark.jpg

The letter on the homepage. Wow, incredible stuff. The site should be very proud of that thread.

My mother suffered badly from depression and was in a psychiatric ward for around 2 years after having a couple of miscarriages, so mental health has always been an issue that is quite close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.