On-field communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaclou

Player Valuation: £500k
I was watching the Arsenal - Newcastle game while making breakfast (on NBCSports) and the announcer brought up the point that the Arsenal players often don't talk to each other enough on the field.

It got me thinking about where the current Everton squad would score in terms of how good we are at coordinating and shouting commands, warning of danger etc. I can't watch the games live as I'm in California, and it's difficult to tell through broadcast how much players are talking to each other, so I'm curious to hear what other people think about it.

McCarthy's the only one to me who stands out as a real leader in terms of always talking, Eto'o is more for guidance whereas you need a few players who'll just shout on the pitch. Osman can do it every now and then but Jags is silent. Was good to see Ledson giving orders out the other day.

McCarthy's the only one to me who stands out as a real leader in terms of always talking, Eto'o is more for guidance whereas you need a few players who'll just shout on the pitch. Osman can do it every now and then but Jags is silent. Was good to see Ledson giving orders out the other day.

Captaincy for the England youths and coaching there and our setup instilling the requirement of communication and leadership especially in the captain.

There was a manager here in Norway that had a theory about this, he wanted to get all his players communicating constantly and thought that would improve the teams performance. He included it in training sessions in order to get the players used to being vocal. Turns out it didn't make any difference.

I can see goalkeepers doing some shouting otherwise it's probably not all that valuable.

Some things I've noticed:

Howard's really quiet for 89 minutes and 50 seconds of a game but has a random 10 second spurt where he goes absolutely mental at his defence.

Coleman does a lot of gesturing with his thumb.

Jagielka tilts his head to the side when talking to refs, much like a dog.

Distin is always telling people to calm down by doing that thing like Ross on Friends.

McCarthy has murder with opposition players every game.

Pienaar makes this face when someone misplaces a pass to him that looks like he's about to cry/has tasted something horrible.

Lukaku tells teammates he wants a pass to feet by bending over and placing both palms out with his hands towards the floor.

Eto'o tries to get people booked by card waving/getting in the ref's face for 3 seconds then smiling and laughing when an opposition player clocks on.

Martinez does a lot of talking with Barkley. Seriously, watch it. Whenever there's an injury Barkley's over there having a drink and getting advice.

Howard is a bit of a strange one. Not sure if he's 100% kosher 'upstairs'

You know he has Tourette's, right? Not saying that has anything to do with him yelling at defenders, but he's pretty public about it.

(Tourette's is neurological as well as psychiatric so no idea what it's like to live with psychologically compared to stuff I have more experience of)

Some things I've noticed:

Howard's really quiet for 89 minutes and 50 seconds of a game but has a random 10 second spurt where he goes absolutely mental at his defence.

I'm not sure if you're getting at his tourettes here or not, but yeah, this could be his tourettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.