Old Everton Pictures

1590215173100.png

....some quality played at Goodison in that World Cup, great talent recognised to this day.
One of them featured in the three photo’s above, the great Lev Yashin, possibly one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time, if not the best. The only goalkeeper to win ’ The worlds best player’ award at the time, maybe he is still the only one. He was certainly the bravest, or maddest ‘keeper I ever saw, he must have been a tidy age at that 1966 World Cup and kept Russia in the game v West Germany at Goodison with many outstanding saves.

In those days world class players could not be seen live on home soil like today ....it was novel I remember my older brother going to see Pele disappointed when he got kicked of the pitch at Goodison......

...yes, Joey. The Hungarian team with Florian Albert and Franc Bene, not to mention the Portuguese with Mario Caluna, Torres and Eusebio. Pak do Ick from Korea was also a player. Garincha’s free kick at the Park End was a proper ‘banana shot’. Beckenbauer and Seeler for West Germany.

Great memories and fitting they graced Goodison.