Old Everton Pictures

Bracewell sees of Ray Houghton -

QUOTE="roy vernon, post: 7778215, member: 2613"]
One of my all time favorites, if you wanted to play football, he’d play you off the park. If you wanted a kicking match, he’d kick you off the park. A true ‘hard man’ and a very good player. In the late 60’s it was Moggsy who gave the trinity time and space to do their magic.
[/QUOTE]
And all those tins of salmon would have come in handy during lockdownlol

....interesting comparing the great wingers of my time. I imagine a more accurate analysis would include ‘assists’ for such a position but I doubt those stats were kept until recently.

Generally speaking, they all played a similar amount of games;

Kevin Sheedy 274 games; 67 goals. Ratio 1 goal in 4 games.
Johnny Morrisey 250/43. Ratio 1 in 5.1
Derek Temple 234/72. Ratio 1 in 3.2
Trevor Steven 210/48. Ratio 1 in 4.3
Alex Scott 149/23. Ratio 1 in 6.4

Lovely striker of a football, but I never realised how plentiful a goalscorer Derek Temple was. I goal in every 3 games is some contribution for a winger and he’s an impressive stand-out from that perspective.
Derek played centre forward on occasion. He was decent too, good first touch, plenty of pace and a cool finisher, unfortunately he was not robust enough to play through the middle on a regular basis.

Derek played centre forward on occasion. He was decent too, good first touch, plenty of pace and a cool finisher, unfortunately he was not robust enough to play through the middle on a regular basis.

.....you might have heard my account of playing in a charity game in the mid-70s with Derek Temple. I was playing for a team managed by Dave Hickson and he asked me to play in a team of ‘all stars’. I think he just wanted a young lad to do their running. Turned up, Temple, Brian Harris and Dave were also in the team.

Temple and I were changed first and he asked me to go out for a warm up. He was just so enthusiastic to get out on the pitch, I‘d watched him lots through the 60s but noticed immediately what a sweet striker of a football he was as he pinged it to me.

....interesting comparing the great wingers of my time. I imagine a more accurate analysis would include ‘assists’ for such a position but I doubt those stats were kept until recently.

Generally speaking, they all played a similar amount of games;

Kevin Sheedy 274 games; 67 goals. Ratio 1 goal in 4 games.
Johnny Morrisey 250/43. Ratio 1 in 5.1
Derek Temple 234/72. Ratio 1 in 3.2
Trevor Steven 210/48. Ratio 1 in 4.3
Alex Scott 149/23. Ratio 1 in 6.4

Lovely striker of a football, but I never realised how plentiful a goalscorer Derek Temple was. I goal in every 3 games is some contribution for a winger and he’s an impressive stand-out from that perspective.
Shirley as opposition fans called him was such a servant to us today still going strong too what a player uncapped too.....

One of my all time favorites, if you wanted to play football, he’d play you off the park. If you wanted a kicking match, he’d kick you off the park. A true ‘hard man’ and a very good player. In the late 60’s it was Moggsy who gave the trinity time and space to do their magic.
[/QUOTE]
T
[/QUOTE]
That was the fish John West rejected.