Old Everton Pictures

zzdti179414.jpg

Love these: Smiling optimism and the grim reality - how the Everton job ages you!

Yep...hint; it wasn't 1970.
What a brilliant quiz question mate!!! Chile of course. Had no idea they had used the Estadio Sausalito for the semi that tournament too!!!! I was lucky enough to be at Portugal North Korea aged 7 and a good mate of mine, a French guy who I met in the 1990s, had been at the Soviet Union: West Germany semi at Goodison.

Agreed - unbelievable how he just drifted out of the game after leaving us. Left over money, according to the club, but didn't get on with Billy Bingham. Had a couple of years with the Everton Old Boys at Birmingham then went to play in the US, like a lot did at the time.

Should have been a star.

..funny, I mentioned Gary Jones in a thread recently about players who never fulfilled their potential.

Agreed - unbelievable how he just drifted out of the game after leaving us. Left over money, according to the club, but didn't get on with Billy Bingham. Had a couple of years with the Everton Old Boys at Birmingham then went to play in the US, like a lot did at the time.

Should have been a star.

..funny, I mentioned Gary Jones in a thread recently about players who never fulfilled their potential.
Do you remember him sarcastically clapping Bingham after he was substituted at Goodison? I don't think he played much after that!! From my memory he just never seemed to live up to the hype when he came into the first team. The team was pretty inconsistent though so not easy. We were in full slide mode then.

Do you remember him sarcastically clapping Bingham after he was substituted at Goodison? I don't think he played much after that!! From my memory he just never seemed to live up to the hype when he came into the first team. The team was pretty inconsistent though so not easy. We were in full slide mode then.

Yes I remember that, I think it was in a home defeat to Leeds. If I remember correctly, he'd been brilliant in the previous home game against Wolves but he was dreadful that day, his head was clearly not in the right place and, sadly, Bingham was right to haul him off. It was the end for Gary and the beginning of the end for Bingham too.

..nope, but I think remember him knocking out the bloke who broke John Connolly’s leg. I think it was an FA Cup tie against Altrincham.