November 5th 1989

Cork Evertonian

Player Valuation: £40m
So we were going into that game against Villa at Villa Park top of the league. We get destroyed 6-2 in a game that was broadcast on live television.

Our title challenge then collapses from that point onwards. I think that was the result that confirmed that the glory days were over.

It was the result that set us into a tailspin that we still haven't recovered from imo.

So we were going into that game against Villa at Villa Park top of the league. We get destroyed 6-2 in a game that was broadcast on live television.

Our title challenge then collapses from that point onwards. I think that was the result that confirmed that the glory days were over.

It was the result that set us into a tailspin that we still haven't recovered from imo.
I remember it like yesterday. Paul McGrath scored an og for us.

I remember that day and that game well. My day got even worse after the humiliation at Villa as my mum took me to the pictures to see a film called 'the Abyss' which was truly dire.

Got into school on the Monday morning and got so much stick off the armchair RS fans for that result. I don't think I'd even seen us concede 4 goals in a game at that point so us to let 6 in was a totally new experience.

Great kit we worn at Villa Park though. One of my favourite ever away kits that one.

As already mentioned above, Kenshite had just joined the board before that 6-2 and he became the poster boy for the decline of this club. From big 5 then to firmly bottom 5 after 34 years of his influence.

I remember that day and that game well. My day got even worse after the humiliation at Villa as my mum took me to the pictures to see a film called 'the Abyss' which was truly dire.

Got into school on the Monday morning and got so much stick off the armchair RS fans for that result. I don't think I'd even seen us concede 4 goals in a game at that point so us to let 6 in was a totally new experience.

Great kit we worn at Villa Park though. One of my favourite ever away kits that one.

As already mentioned above, Kenshite had just joined the board before that 6-2 and he became the poster boy for the decline of this club.
The Abyss is great?

Exactly the same for me. Watched that game and knew at that moment Everton weren’t gonna be good again.

The glory days were over as soon as we appointed Harvey to replace Kendal because 'that's what you do' (EG: it had worked once - Shankley to Paisley - but because that was then recent history our useless higher management automatically assumed that it was a recipe for success). Harvey was too nice/weak and his appointment was the start of the serious mismanagement that we 'enjoy' to this day!

The glory days were over as soon as we appointed Harvey to replace Kendal because 'that's what you do' (EG: it had worked once - Shankley to Paisley - but because that was then recent history our useless higher management automatically assumed that it was a recipe for success). Harvey was too nice/weak and his appointment was the start of the serious mismanagement that we 'enjoy' to this day!
We didn't strengthen the team during that summer in 1987 either, bar the signing of Ian Wilson.

Once you stand still you go backwards, and backwards we've continued to go ever since sadly!