Not missing a match for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleypark

Player Valuation: £1m
What's everyone's attitude towards this? It doesn't have to be Everton specific. Is there a pride everyone looks to in not missing a game anywhere, a will to be seen as a great supporter? Are there times when fans who go everywhere actually have games that they can't be bothered with but go anyway. Or is it viewed as being a bit sad that your entire life is consumed by going to every single match? Or is it just people taking advantage of being in a privileged position to have the time and money to do so? Or is there in peoples minds a hierarchy of fan they don't want to be laughed at for not fancying bellend away on a Tuesday but you do want to check out someones new ground? Is there anything wrong with only being selective on aways? Or having a stigma of a part time supporter? Why do fans (of every team) have this attitude?

I done around 10 years, but towards the end I started to feel like I was going more out of some kind of pride out of not missing a match. With the next 15 being fairly extensive but quite happy to say no to going if something else came up.
Nowadays the thought of going to loads of matches does not appeal to me. The work/family/money/social life outside of footy balance just isn't there. To be honest I’ve felt embarrassed and not admitted to footy mates that I do sometimes miss matches to go the zoo with my kids. Am I right for feeling like that, is that common? Is there an unwritten law in our heads that tells us we should go to every game we can?

At same time, I'm guilty myself of not taking fans opinions seriously because they have only been to a handful of matches.

I'm just putting it out there, abuse, shouts of part supporter and weirdo in the replies are welcome!

Seems like way too much hard work for me personally. Remember hearing DT from ArsenalFanTV state he hasn't missed any game for 15 years, league, cups and Europe included, and has spent £70,000 in total following the club. That's just mental to me and something I can't comprehend. There has to be more to life than football.

Seems like way too much hard work for me personally. Remember hearing DT from ArsenalFanTV state he hasn't missed any game for 15 years, league, cups and Europe included, and has spent £70,000 in total following the club. That's just mental to me and something I can't comprehend. There has to be more to life than football.
Ridiculous amount to be spending

Haven't been to an away game for a little bit but always hats off to people who go everywhere.

Seeing people in Kenya, not with the club or SportPesa, made me laugh. Absolutely mad.

Had a ST since 1961 and my last game was end of last season v Man U
I am getting on a bit and with all the fixture changes and more and more night games I have decided to call it a day,it's going to be hard but I knew that this time would come around eventually I will be an armchair fan from now on, but I hope to get to the odd game hoping you all have something to cheer about, in the near future.

All depends on your outlook I think.

There's nothing wrong with going to every single game you can if that's what you enjoy doing. Personally I'd rather go to watch Everton than go to an art gallery or a gig, so if it's what you do as a hobby then go for it. If it becomes some sort of all consuming thing where your entire life revolves around going to the game and you never actually do anything else, then maybe you need to have a bit of a think about priorities. Like you say, going out to spend time with your kids is a pretty big thing that definitely beats going the game.

I like trying to make it to a couple of aways a year, ideally one at a ground I've not been to before. I have no real interest in going to Chelsea or wherever, season after season after season, but fair play to those who do.

What's everyone's attitude towards this? It doesn't have to be Everton specific. Is there a pride everyone looks to in not missing a game anywhere, a will to be seen as a great supporter? Are there times when fans who go everywhere actually have games that they can't be bothered with but go anyway. Or is it viewed as being a bit sad that your entire life is consumed by going to every single match? Or is it just people taking advantage of being in a privileged position to have the time and money to do so? Or is there in peoples minds a hierarchy of fan they don't want to be laughed at for not fancying bellend away on a Tuesday but you do want to check out someones new ground? Is there anything wrong with only being selective on aways? Or having a stigma of a part time supporter? Why do fans (of every team) have this attitude?

I done around 10 years, but towards the end I started to feel like I was going more out of some kind of pride out of not missing a match. With the next 15 being fairly extensive but quite happy to say no to going if something else came up.
Nowadays the thought of going to loads of matches does not appeal to me. The work/family/money/social life outside of footy balance just isn't there. To be honest I’ve felt embarrassed and not admitted to footy mates that I do sometimes miss matches to go the zoo with my kids. Am I right for feeling like that, is that common? Is there an unwritten law in our heads that tells us we should go to every game we can?

At same time, I'm guilty myself of not taking fans opinions seriously because they have only been to a handful of matches.

I'm just putting it out there, abuse, shouts of part supporter and weirdo in the replies are welcome!
Mate, I can’t even be bothered reading your entire post, let alone going to every game:drunk:

I had my season ticket for ten years and did nearly all the away games for two of those years as well. I'll be honest and say it kind of lost the spark towards the end, half 1 kick offs on a Sunday at home to Stoke weren't doing it for me.

I think a lot of the people who go to almost every game must see it as a social occasion. At the end, none of my mates were going the game so it made it easier for me to stop.

Having said all that, absolutely love when I'm home and get to a game now. Walking up the stairs and seeing Goodison in its glory gets me feeling like a ten year old again.

I went several years not missing a match home, away or in europe.

Finally decided to miss one a few years ago as my daughter was getting married the next day and im getting older. At the end of that season everyone who went to all the aways that season got invited to the club! Just my luck.

Now do just over half the aways in a season. All the homes.

My late Uncle was a Plymouth Argyle fan and never missed a game despite being quite severely physically impaired for all his life. It cost him a lot of money, but his team were everything to him. Not a lot of things gave him enjoyment in life but supporting the team did, win or lose. That kind of loyalty to one's club doesn't go without being missed: https://pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=60798&sid=a32268e4f97612d0f1760a8b7f40b0d5

So yeah you can look at look at the financial cost and call it absurd but to some people there is no greater use of that money.

Is there a pride everyone looks to in not missing a game anywhere, a will to be seen as a great supporter? Are there times when fans who go everywhere actually have games that they can't be bothered with but go anyway. Or is it viewed as being a bit sad that your entire life is consumed by going to every single match? Or is it just people taking advantage of being in a privileged position to have the time and money to do so? Or is there in peoples minds a hierarchy of fan they don't want to be laughed at for not fancying bellend away on a Tuesday but you do want to check out someones new ground? Is there anything wrong with only being selective on aways? Or having a stigma of a part time supporter? Why do fans (of every team) have this attitude?
All of the above.
Pretty sure that there are some matches that I would swerve, but I would love to be in a financial position to even consider never missing a match.

I haven’t missed many home games since I started going in 1948, Arsenal March 13th, lost 2-0, went to plenty of away games but haven’t been to many for a long time except Liverpool and some cup games, Wembley etc.

I don’t think cost comes into it, for me anyway, it was a labour of love, haven’t had much love back for quite a while, especially since Kenwright took over.

If I lived within walking distance I'd definitely have a season ticket*. I don't like travelling any kind of distances for transient things though - it's a personal choice about reducing energy use & pollution.

*Although it would be the end of me for sure - I dont like being disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.