Next ten games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see us slipping out of the top half too much this season and we'll do our usual strong finish in the second half of the season.

Top 7/8 on 60 points has been my prediction for a few weeks and I'd be surprised if it isn't those placings and a point or two out either side of 60.

A SF berth in one of the cups to go along with that and it's job done while we're in the rebuilding process.

We're nicely on course for both.

Enjoying your positivity, although I think 60 points may get 6th this year

I always prefer to just take one game at a time, next up west ham, it won't be easy away but i think we have been playing better away and i think it suits our play better, i think we will beat west ham, hit them on the counter attack.

I dont see us slipping out of the top half too much this season and we'll do our usual strong finish in the second half of the season.

Top 7/8 on 60 points has been my prediction for a few weeks and I'd be surprised if it isn't those placings and a point or two out either side of 60.

A SF berth in one of the cups to go along with that and it's job done while we're in the rebuilding process.

We're nicely on course for both.

I think your being sarcastic??? I wouldn't regard it as a job well done finishing 7th and a semi final place in the cup. Not with this squad and how poor the league really is. If we haven't pushed the top 4 id regard it as failure.

Enjoying your positivity, although I think 60 points may get 6th this year
Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that. Historically (over the last decade anyway) it get's 7th/8th, but with it being open 60 points could bump a team higher....remember Moyes getting us 61 points and a CL spot!

I think your being sarcastic??? I wouldn't regard it as a job well done finishing 7th and a semi final place in the cup. Not with this squad and how poor the league really is. If we haven't pushed the top 4 id regard it as failure.
Pffft!

This squad is a work in progress. Top four is stitched up by elite squads who can weather injuries and suspensions over 38 games. If we cant get CL football with 72 points we stand no chance whatsoever. The EL beckons, but no higher than that.

The bar I set would be seen as very reasonable buy most.

We should be on at least 30 points after this run, anything less will be unacceptable.

Ideally i would like to see us on 36 points after 18 games and in the sf of the league cup.

Pffft!

This squad is a work in progress. Top four is stitched up by elite squads who can weather injuries and suspensions over 38 games. If we cant get CL football with 72 points we stand no chance whatsoever. The EL beckons, but no higher than that.

The bar I set would be seen as very reasonable buy most.

Bet you were the kid at school that told everyone Santa wasn't real at 6 years of age.

Let us believe

Europa league qualification of any sort (except the fair play league) and a decent cup run is a good season for me. What I want to see though us us winning games when we are in good form and the fixtures are good (like now). If we play to our limit this season and come 8th then fair enough. If we just do alright but contrive to draw even when playing well and watch a poor United or Liverpool scrape into fourth with us not far off then that is what is most annoying. We could make a huge statement in these next few games, then ally that with a signing in the Jan window we'd be in a great position come Christmas and all but guaranteed top 8. Who knows what we could do then. I'd much prefer to always have a go than to just averagely trudge on and accept a league position based on our financial spending.

Great to get a win to kick this run off. No reason why we can't go and win at West Ham a ground we normally do well at. They will look to come onto us as well so hopefully our counterattacking can leave them reeling. Only takes a spell from Deulofeu or Lukaku to take the game away from these sides. Would be a massive boost going into Villa and Bournemouth with two wins in two games under our belt.

depends if stones has woken up, mori has learned when to jump and howard can come and catch the actual ball

attacking wise we should cause them problems, although reid might be back

6-6

West Ham will be interesting to see how they set up!

Will they set up like they have against the bigger teams and sit deep and get a go for the counter (which has worked very well for them)
Or do they do what they have done against the lesser teams and come at us which will leave spaces at the back (which they have struggled with)

My belief is that most teams are going for it this season. I've seen little evidence just yet that teams - any teams - fancy parking the bus and getting compact to take a point.

Looks to have been a shift in that respect this season. Maybe the enormous expenditure on players by all clubs is pushing them in that direction?

My belief is that most teams are going for it this season. I've seen little evidence just yet that teams - any teams - fancy parking the bus and getting compact to take a point.

Looks to have been a shift in that respect this season. Maybe the enormous expenditure on players by all clubs is pushing them in that direction?

I think there are a few reasons for it
1) Lack of genuine world class centre backs in the league (Funes Mori is exempt from this)
2) The full backs position has developed over the last 10/15 years, they always used to be converted centre backs that were to small to be play centre back, now they are converted wingers, used as an attacking weapon- if a team is playing 4-2-3-1 and going forward only really 3, maybe 4 players are staying back, which makes the counter attack so much more affective
3) The "FIFA" generation has all sorts of kids concentrating more on individual players then teams! As Jamie Carragher said "no one wants to grow up being a Gary Neville". People aren't interested in defenders, they wanna see stepovers, skills, "pure tekkers" the vine generation if you will

Need to put together a run like we had a couple of during the first season under Martinez, get a good 5-6 game winning streak going and get the confidence sky high,no reason on earth we shouldn't go in confident of winning every game until city away, we won't do ofc but can hope

West Ham (a) 1 point
Aston Villa (h) 3 points
Bournemouth (a) 3 points
Crystal Palace (h) 1 point
Norwich (a) 1 point
Leicester (h) 3 points
Newcastle (a) 3 points
Stoke (h) 3 points

Optimism bias: -3points

I've got us on 31 points at the halfway stage.

I think there are a few reasons for it
1) Lack of genuine world class centre backs in the league (Funes Mori is exempt from this)
2) The full backs position has developed over the last 10/15 years, they always used to be converted centre backs that were to small to be play centre back, now they are converted wingers, used as an attacking weapon- if a team is playing 4-2-3-1 and going forward only really 3, maybe 4 players are staying back, which makes the counter attack so much more affective
3) The "FIFA" generation has all sorts of kids concentrating more on individual players then teams! As Jamie Carragher said "no one wants to grow up being a Gary Neville". People aren't interested in defenders, they wanna see stepovers, skills, "pure tekkers" the vine generation if you will
As you say, maybe fans dont want their team to be journeymen or neutralisers of a game and it's filtering through. If it has filtered through to clubs and is acted upon, that can at least partially be explained by the enormous increase in spending power; many teams in the PL are spending large amounts of cash on player fees that dwarf most European club spending (below the absolute aristocracy of Europe's elite clubs, that is). Quality is therefore in more abundance, and that will tend to go on creative players rather than destroyers. The likes of Shaqiri going to a club like Stoke, Wijnaldum to Newcastle; Cabaye to a club like Palace. Players recruited to help teams set up in a more offensive way.

I dont know. Maybe it's too early to believe that mid-to-lower table clubs are ready to pay in a more open fashion, but the signs are there this season, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.