Next level for the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele

Player Valuation: £8m
Glad to see Atletico M beat Chelsea. AM won European league twice (?) in a row and gained experience from European cup matches midweek with success. Hopefully we can do the same next season, I'm sure we will. In Roberto we trust!

Hopefully like, still think its lot more difficult to first gain and then hold onto for a cl place in England than in Spain or Germany.

Id imagine our points return this year would have us in a cl spot in most the top European leagues.

It's like an Everton Liverpool final with the two Madrid clubs. Atletico fans must be a lot like us, with Real Madrid about, but I'd love to see them do the double now, players and fans spirit looks boss.

We need europe next season to develop a young squad. Even if we finish 5th next year as well just give the young players the oppertunities to impress in the first team and more importantly train amongst them as equals rather than as academy players.

We make a couple of amazing signings a season and keep hold of them at the same time and we would be in the same boat as Athletico and Dormund.

As i have said on another thread, we might not be able to sign Cavani/lebondowski/falcao players for a long time. what we need to do is sign them before anyone knows who they are and make them our players to begin with.

We might not even be in Europe yet, so stop counting chickens and stuff

It's like an Everton Liverpool final with the two Madrid clubs. Atletico fans must be a lot like us, with Real Madrid about, but I'd love to see them do the double now, players and fans spirit looks boss.

Yeah, I've always felt for Atletico fans. I mean us and Man City, Sunderland for example, have often been eclipsed by more 'glamorous' neighbours, but they really don't come more glamorous then 'Royal' Madrid. AM are the definition of a peoples club, and they've had their share of honours an' all. Feel the same about Espanyol. Most Barca/Real 'fans' outside Spain probably don't even realise the cities have other clubs.

I don't understand how some fans don't see the massive strides that we're making and they think the house of cards will just collapse in the summer.

On the pitch:
  • Howard has had his best season for years
  • Coleman is really hitting his peak
  • Stones will be drawing comparisons to Beckenbauer if he carries on as he is and he's saved us searching for Distin's successor
  • It's looking like we're going to need to find a way to accommodate Oviedo and Naismith in the side somehow
  • McCarthy has settled in well and I think he'll be even more of a force and contribute more offensively (like Keane, Robson and Ince?) as he matures
  • Mirallas seems to be finding fitness and consistency
  • Barkley has set the example for young players hoping to break into the first-team
I'll make a few predictions for next season:
  • I think that the money is there to buy Lukaku and that the decision will be down to the player. It wouldn't surprise me if he gave it 6 months at Chelsea to see how it went and we went back in for him in January.
  • I think that Barry wants to keep playing in the Premier League and that we want to keep him but I'm not sure whether the length of contract and the terms that we'd offer him would be enough.
  • A second season on loan for Deulofeu could depend on Barca's transfer ban. I think that they might decide at the last minute that it would be better for his development to play with us rather than warming their bench.
  • I think we'll get Traore back again too.
  • The 'papers are talking about a move for Diame and it would make a lot of sense.
  • If we don't get Lukaku then I can imagine us exploring the option of signing Benteke, particularly if Villa go down.
  • Re-signing Lescott would be a good idea too but I think he's going to want to play regularly and I'm not sure that we could guarantee him that.
  • Roberto has said that we've been offered some very exciting players on loan. It would be great if we could get someone in to compete with Barkley.
  • I think that a few players from the U21 will step up. Gueye suddenly seems to be doing the business with the younger age group. McAleny can't be far away. And both Browning and Garbutt seem to be highly thought of.
If all of that comes off how much will we have spent? Maybe £23m? And where else will we need to strengthen? I think we'd be pretty well covered and it would be a question of trying to make sure that everybody was ready to play so that we could rotate at will without weakening the side.

Yeah, I've always felt for Atletico fans. I mean us and Man City, Sunderland for example, have often been eclipsed by more 'glamorous' neighbours, but they really don't come more glamorous then 'Royal' Madrid. AM are the definition of a peoples club, and they've had their share of honours an' all. Feel the same about Espanyol. Most Barca/Real 'fans' outside Spain probably don't even realise the cities have other clubs.
Atleti got propped up by third-party ownership.

Of course maybe its ultimately better to buy clubs in Brazil or Uruguay, make super complicated financial arrangements so effectively they are partly owned by us and partly by investors, and finally then loan every one back to England (in addition to operating a club overseas).

In perspective perhaps Everton de Vina del Mar could...

For us to realistically expect to get top 4 we need to spend about £60 million I reckon. Lukaku plus another top quality attacking mid and a striker and a top defensive midfielder. Our defence is probably strong enough with everyone fit.

Our first XI at the minute is a match for anyone but a couple of injuries and its a different story.

Over to you Bill...

Status
Not open for further replies.