News of Ex Players

The Golden Vision back at his spiritual home very recently with Tony Kay.

Attachments

• 12931149_10207979681703117_7939753813512674945_n.jpg
    12931149_10207979681703117_7939753813512674945_n.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 377

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2016/03/31/ward-ill-always-be-grateful-to-king

'I'll Always Be Grateful To King'
Former Everton midfielder Mark Ward has paid tribute to the late Johnny King.

King, who made 49 appearances and scored one goal for the Blues after coming through the ranks as a youngster, passed away last night aged 77.

Widely regarded as Tranmere Rovers’ greatest ever manager, King is also fondly remembered by Ward, who was helped by the former Blue while playing for Northwich Victoria in the early 1980s.

“I was shocked when I heard the news this morning,” Ward told evertonfc.com. “I’ve been on Twitter this morning and I’m not surprised to see all the tributes to him because he was so well thought of by all those who worked with him.

“After leaving Everton, I joined Northwich Victoria in the old Conference and Johnny became the manager six weeks after I arrived.

"He was a breath of fresh air for me. I wasn’t in the starting line-up when he took over and I remember having a conversation with him, where I told him I was his best player! He laughed and said, ‘Listen son, you can’t even get to training, so how can I pick you?’.

“I didn’t have a car, but then he found out I’d been running around 12 miles to training. When he found out, he told me how impressed he was with my attitude and desire to play.

“He put me in team for the next game, which was in the FA Cup, and I scored a hat-trick. It gave me a huge lift and he told me he’d look after me and make sure I get a good club.”

After a stint with non-league Northwich, Ward went on to enjoy productive spells with Oldham Athletic, West Ham United and Manchester City before securing a return to Everton in 1991.

King himself enjoyed three seasons as a wing half at Goodison Park, playing alongside the likes of Club legends Dave Hickson and Derek Temple.

His one goal for the Toffees came in a 3-2 home victory over Leeds United in September 1958.

And, after hanging up his boots to become a manager, King is credited by Ward for playing a major part in his rise back up the football pyramid.

He added: “Johnny helped me so much. He was only a small guy himself, so he’d work really closely with me and toughen me up and work on my fitness because he knew I needed to be tough to make it.

“I worked with some great managers, including the likes of Howard Kendall and Joe Royle but, for me, Johnny was right up there with even the likes of those.

“He was a great man; all the lads loved him. Even though I worked with him at non-league level, he was so professional, courteous and helpful.

“He played such a big part in my career and helped me get back into league football - and I’ll always be grateful for that.”

http://stv.tv/sport/football/294165...raig-heaps-praise-on-man-manager-alan-stubbs/

Liam Craig believes the man-management of Alan Stubbs is starting to pay dividends on the pitch.

The Hibernian captain praised the side’s head coach after their morale-boosting 3-1 win over Rangers at Ibrox on Monday night, saying the former Everton man had made the club an exciting place to play again.

Craig, who could have departed in the summer after playing his part in relegation under Terry Butcher, told Peter and Roughie’s Football Show that the management team had everyone playing with confidence.

He said: “[Stubbs has] kept the belief in us and he’s kept the confidence among the players.

“What we have to do now is perform at that level and that intensity in the games to come.

“Since the manager came in there’s been a sense that things are changing, and it does take time.”

Asked what stood out about Stubbs’ methods, the midfielder said: “His man-management – I’d compare him to Derek McInnes when he first took over at St Johnstone.

“The way he believes in the players and conducts himself of the training park, and he’s got two good boys in Andy Holden and John Doolan behind him as well.

“You see the way they talk to the younger boys, telling them to go out and express themselves, and I think that’s been the biggest thing.

“It’s up to the experienced players, along with the staff, to make sure we get the best out of each other.

“I think the manager is well down the line to doing that. It’s a great place to go and work.

“Last season at times it was tough to go in and train but this year there is real excitement and players are enjoying it.”

I was sad to come across this story the other day.

Darrin Coyle is the son of ex Sheffield Wednesdsy and Ireland star Roy Coyle and Howard bought him from Linfield in the 80s.

He only played a couple of games for us.

Tragically he lost his young daughter a few years ago.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...yle-mourning-loss-of-grandchild-29726224.html

Football has united in sympathy for legendary football manager Roy Coyle on the recent loss of his granddaughter Darcy.

Born with an incurable genetic condition, the 12-year-old died after a life filled with love.

Described as a "much loved, precious daughter" of former Everton and Linfield player Darrin and his wife Janet, Darcy suffered from rare genetic disorder neonatal adrenoleukodystrophy.

Awareness of the disease, which affects one in 20,000 people, was raised by the film Lorenzo's Oil, named after the son of the family who discovered the treatment which can ease the symptoms.

Doctors had said Darcy, younger sister of Jade and Joshua, wouldn't live beyond the age of 10.

She died at Daisy Hill Hospital in Newry on October 29 with her parents by her her side. Her funeral was held at Loughbrickland Presbyterian Church on Friday.