Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Boreham Wood at the weekend, they run non stop and close down defenders, perfect storm to send us tumbling out of the cup.
This season just keeps giving doesn't it.
As soon as we get a team in our faces, we crumble.
They absolutely crapped themselves last night and the 2 new lads didn't have me thinking, we will be alright here.
I know they have only been here 2 minutes but Deli looks completely Everton'd already.
Jeez, I've just said very similar in another post. I agree entirely.

On reflection I think I was correct. That game was lost squarely in the midfield with Gomes (and others) getting totally bullied.
I don’t think you were. I just think our players were incapable of playing to any style last night. If you can’t make simple passes out from the back and your midfield gets overrun then you won’t be able to play front foot football like I wanted or defensive counter attacking football like you wanted.

The team did look edgy and short of confidence last night and that’s the biggest thing Frank needs to get right.

This loss is entirely on the players. Any team can be beaten but with us, it’s the way we lose that is so disgraceful.

It’s the same culprits time and time again, Keane, Holgate, Gomes…. Coleman (who needs to be phased out now - he's finished)!! They’re not fit for purpose, and they’ve show that under 3/4 managers now. Gutless, spineless, mentally weak players who wilt the moment something doesn’t go their way or it gets too hard and we can bring in new managers every season all we like, they’ll always struggle because the majority of our players are losers. Luckily for them Benitez was a bigger problem and took the focus off them for 6 months but it’s right back on them now and some!!

I’ve tried to convince myself that we’re too good to go down, or at the very least that there are 3 worse teams in the league but the fact we are now reliant on these gutless wage stealers due to a farcical injury crisis and shocking player recruitment (seriously, why waste a domestic loan on a winger we didn’t need when we have cowards in defence who can’t defend and our only decent CB has legs made of chipsticks)… I can only see this ending one way because the thing the teams around us have is fight, and graft. Look at Newcastle tonight… ASM aside they weren’t blessed with amazing talent, but they won every 50/50, they worked their socks off, they were aggressive and they smelled blood. Burnley will do the same. These teams will fight for their lives whilst our players swan around the pitch like they’re above this sort of thing.. and yes, Shelvey should have had a red card, yes we lost two key players to injury and had to make subs early, that does all factor in but still, these players are playing for premierleague survival and with 17 games to go they look like they’ve already given up.

If Lampard didn’t know how big a task he had on his hands before last night he certainly does now. It’s not about ability – they’re all premierleage footballers, they clearly have ability – it’s about mentality and heart and sadly, these players have proved time and time again the lack in both departments.

I don’t think you were. I just think our players were incapable of playing to any style last night. If you can’t make simple passes out from the back and your midfield gets overrun then you won’t be able to play front foot football like I wanted or defensive counter attacking football like you wanted.

The team did look edgy and short of confidence last night and that’s the biggest thing Frank needs to get right.
I disagree I think the team thought they were unbeatable after Saturday ,they just don't learn there are no easy games .
We were unlucky losing Mina after Godfrey . I think they should just practice passing ,they were shocking last night .How someone getting so much money cannot pass a ball 5 yards or pass it to the player instead of behind or too far in front beggars belief.
They should be made to watch their own passing for many hours every time this happens until they are as sick of it as us .
I gave MOM to Gordon as he was the best by far ,I thought VDB was a class above the rest of the midfield and deserves a mention ,he had so much more control than the other clowns .

This loss is entirely on the players. Any team can be beaten but with us, it’s the way we lose that is so disgraceful.

It’s the same culprits time and time again, Keane, Holgate, Gomes…. Coleman (who needs to be phased out now - he's finished)!! They’re not fit for purpose, and they’ve show that under 3/4 managers now. Gutless, spineless, mentally weak players who wilt the moment something doesn’t go their way or it gets too hard and we can bring in new managers every season all we like, they’ll always struggle because the majority of our players are losers. Luckily for them Benitez was a bigger problem and took the focus off them for 6 months but it’s right back on them now and some!!

I’ve tried to convince myself that we’re too good to go down, or at the very least that there are 3 worse teams in the league but the fact we are now reliant on these gutless wage stealers due to a farcical injury crisis and shocking player recruitment (seriously, why waste a domestic loan on a winger we didn’t need when we have cowards in defence who can’t defend and our only decent CB has legs made of chipsticks)… I can only see this ending one way because the thing the teams around us have is fight, and graft. Look at Newcastle tonight… ASM aside they weren’t blessed with amazing talent, but they won every 50/50, they worked their socks off, they were aggressive and they smelled blood. Burnley will do the same. These teams will fight for their lives whilst our players swan around the pitch like they’re above this sort of thing.. and yes, Shelvey should have had a red card, yes we lost two key players to injury and had to make subs early, that does all factor in but still, these players are playing for premierleague survival and with 17 games to go they look like they’ve already given up.

If Lampard didn’t know how big a task he had on his hands before last night he certainly does now. It’s not about ability – they’re all premierleage footballers, they clearly have ability – it’s about mentality and heart and sadly, these players have proved time and time again the lack in both departments.
You could tell at the post-match interview that Frank knows exactly the enormity of the task in hand.
He knows full well who the physically and mentally weak players are now.
I actually think it's too late for us now . We simply don't have the players who have the stomach for the fight. Newcastle do ,and they played accordingly.Scaring /bullying our team into submission.

Newcastle's scrappy underhandedness always has a tendency to rattle our squad , I recall even last season they employed the same tactics and completely severed James from the match by just roughing him up. The same approach impacted Gordon adversely too they maimed him on the regular, our teams shape was chaotic too but the harsh tackles nullified him as well.

Very sobering indeed to witness that, a horrible and very timid display by players who were probably stared out in the tunnel and knew the result..
No, we were playing OK in a bearpit and two injuries forced changes we did not want to make and stopped us making the changes we did need to make. If Everton keep playing like they did 1st half we will get out of this mess and build in the summer.

There is no manager who can sort this overnight ,Rafael did way too much damage , its a confident that we don’t have as much we should and believe in our self as a team
beside Alan and Mina, mayne Gordon we don’t have any player in our team who is willing to take a fight , sometimes I think here we go , now we will see their tiers soon , this is how they look , shoulders down , arms all over the place , gesticulating, pointing and blaming which other … started with Kean , this lad has nothing to play on that level, every game when he face strong , quick lads he is lost , mentally very weak player and this environment where we are at the moment it’s not doing well for him , at least he admitted that he had mental problems in the past , mistake after mistake,
i never thought that we will have win after win, as a matter effect we will hit the bottom three after the next two matches , Leeds it’s aggressive , dominant team , playing with a lot of intensity, everything that we dont have , we can not beat them with possession, it’s a reason why we won away and lost at home vs them , expecting draw or lost, vs City we can enjoy and practice, after that our relegation fight starting and before we except it’s will be better for our mental health, we have to get behind this team , stop sharing our frustrations and believe in better days
you will be surprise how many changes we will have in our next transfer window, our complete midfield will be substituted, I only see Alan here next season

I disagree I think the team thought they were unbeatable after Saturday ,they just don't learn there are no easy games .
We were unlucky losing Mina after Godfrey . I think they should just practice passing ,they were shocking last night .How someone getting so much money cannot pass a ball 5 yards or pass it to the player instead of behind or too far in front beggars belief.
They should be made to watch their own passing for many hours every time this happens until they are as sick of it as us .
I gave MOM to Gordon as he was the best by far ,I thought VDB was a class above the rest of the midfield and deserves a mention ,he had so much more control than the other clowns .
I watched Frank's first training session on youtube, and it focussed on rondo drills. Every player, I mean every player was able to move the ball with one touch, and with finesse might I add. I love watching rondo drills, it showcases some excellent passing under extreme pressing pressure. The problem is familiarity. My daughter plays for Burton Albion U13 and watching them train is very similar. Every player is super confident when training. They are effectively playing with their mates and there is no pressure whatsoever. They try new things, different passes, different skills. They are more determined to press as they don't want their mate to get one over them. Come match day, that confidence is replaced by a worry of making a mistake and letting the team down. They are much more reserved. I know U13 girls is not the PL, but the brain is the brain and succumbs to the same pressures, regardless of level. Passing is not the problem here. Neither is ability. What is a problem, is confidence. And with low confidence comes low work rate, and the likelihood of shying away and hiding. We have a massive problem here and it won't be solved with tactics/training alone. Even new players coming into the squad are aware that one mistake does not go down well with the Goodison faithful. It is almost like a disease, that filters through the squad. We simply cannot replace the whole squad. Not sure how we stand with sports phycologists but wondering if that may help. I know JP saw one for a while and it really helped with the rash decisions he was making on the pitch.

Thoughts?

No, we were playing OK in a bearpit and two injuries forced changes we did not want to make and stopped us making the changes we did need to make. If Everton keep playing like they did 1st half we will get out of this mess and build in the summer.

Personally I thought even in the first half we were lacking intensity and playing sloppy passes all over the shop.

Newcastle's scrappy underhandedness always has a tendency to rattle our squad , I recall even last season they employed the same tactics and completely severed James from the match by just roughing him up. The same approach impacted Gordon adversely too they maimed him on the regular, our teams shape was chaotic too but the harsh tackles nullified him as well.
He gave as good as he got though which sadly others didn’t

Status
Not open for further replies.