New Everton Stadium Discussion

No that was once a dock, they used that area for the car park in 84 and now there is a small housing area there.

The interesting thing for me is when Kopites moaning about filling in a dock, well we have been doing that for years in Liverpool, loads of them have gone

438443414_a84436fb0a.jpg

DpVcgWWXUAATsPm.jpg

It's quite amazing really when you think about how much the Liverpool waterfront has changed over the years.

My point was that if extra capacity comes from a rule change that all the clubs benefit from the same then we don't gain anything over our competitors as everyone receives the same gain, @Lanolin then pointed out that not all clubs will be able to gain from this change due to H&S and design restrictions at their stadiums.

This is right. If a stand has facilities for just 10k and convert to standing at 1:2 then there's clearly problems unless the stand can be retrofitted.Whereas those that build with a higher capacity in mind will have an advantage.

As for us if it seems any increase will come solely from conversion to standing, then it doesn't seem mad to assume the build is accounting for 62k from the start. Not to do so would seem illogical.

This is right. If a stand has facilities for just 10k and convert to standing at 1:2 then there's clearly problems unless the stand can be retrofitted.Whereas those that build with a higher capacity in mind will have an advantage.

As for us if it seems any increase will come solely from conversion to standing, then it doesn't seem mad to assume the build is accounting for 62k from the start. Not to do so would seem illogical.

Yeah. It doesn't matter if we added 100k extra seats, if we only have facilities for 3k then we can only seat 3k. This is where many older stadiums will fail under regulations.

Also it wasn't just that he said we'd sign players we didn't but he never mentioned the players we did.

One factor people cite when championing a higher capacity is the increase in clubs average attendance after the new stadium has been built.

However this isn't the cash boon that's implied. West Ham are selling full price season tickets for £300 with massive reductions for over 65 and under 16 which are about £100 each. Sunderland similar prices.City have a few thousand empty seats every game. Leic3ster and Southampton just had tiny outdated stadia. Even most of United's games go on general sale. Well you get the gist.

There's a case for the higher capacity and the necessary price reduction purely as it means working class lads can start going again. But as a cash raising measure the 60k stadium will not be a goose that's going to lay any golden eggs.
The money is in corporate hospitality suites.

Regards filling in the dock, do we even know it is to be filled in? Might it not be built astride a drained dock? Underground car park and other facilities below the stadium? Just thinking out loud here. Seems to be a lot of assumptions about what we are likely to get. I don't think anybody, other than a few people very close to the club, have a clue what we will be getting.
I've said this before, I've worked on and seen many more big structures and the first thing they do is dig a big hole, so why fill it in.
Most of that area sits on a big ledge of sandstone. Now the Dock walls that keep out millions of tons of water out weren't just plonked down on a muddy river bottom, they must be anchored to something...that something being the sandstone bedrock
One of the first steps will be to drain, check/fix for leaks, (in fact I'd say the biggest on going problem will be continuous seepage. There will have to be sumps, collection points and pumps going 24/7 all over the place.) assess structural strength, then drill test bores to see what you're building on...though its all well documented on 5 or 6 big projects; Building the actual dock, the late 19th cent. rail tunnel, the 1930s road tunnel, the new tunnel, the Mersey rail stuff...even the new road bridge, plus any number of big dock warehoses of the era.
Short version; you dig down around there you very soon hit the sandstone bedrock...why fill in a perfectly good hole.

Last edited:
Still none the wiser.
Obvs,
Try watching the whole show...not the worst way ever to pass 50-60 mins with your clothes on.

The point being that these one off builds Always take longer and Always run over cost and most of the stuff fabricated off site hardly ever fits rightfirst time...
Though it has to be said, the stuff of Germanic origin and I include some of your Swiss and most off the Austrian stuff is pretty accurate.
Who knows where Moshiri's steel and precast concrete stuff via USM will be sourced from.
Also there must be ample sites on the river where 9000, 400mm x 400mm x 40m. reinforced concrete beams can be made and floated/carried down on a barge or rail, rather than move them at night by road...but what do I know.

Where has this 1:8 standing ratio in the new stadium come from?

I thought Tottenham added a standing area with a ratio of 1:1.
Who knows.
I can grasp the concept that new stadiums have an attendance bounce, but struggle to see, after 25+ yrs, that many people...8,9,10,000? after the initial novelty, wanting to stand as a weekly season on season choice.