New Stadium Design Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

devo85

Player Valuation: £950k
The current stadium discussion thread has become so negative, repetitive and boring with endless pages of argument and counter argument around all sorts of subjects such as council funding, running tracks, smells, timing, capacity and even whether we should move to a new stadium at all. While I agree that these are all valid points, they have been covered to death, I just want to concentrate on one, the Stadium design itself.
If we work from the position that the Stadium is definitely going ahead, the biggest question I assume most of us want answered is "What is it going to look like". Well, far from having no idea, I believe we have been given a number of clues by these direct quotes from EFC and the Architect himself. Let's have a look.
"The new stadium will break the mould and will not be predictable and formulaic like other recently built grounds"
"He want's to do something that's different"
"Overall we just felt that a lot of the stadiums we visit now are a bit predictable and we wanted to challenge that"

Already we can see from these quotes it wont be any variation on the Emirates bowl shape or Dortmund's 4 sided style.
download (1).jpg
download.jpg

"Our Designs must respect the heritage and culture of the city's Northern Docks"
"We will respect our Maritime heritage"

So what does this mean? It looks like the possibility that docks red brick may be included in the design. This will also compliment the Hydraulic tower. It may even mean some architectural reference to the dock buildings themselves.
Titanic-Liverpool-7857.jpg

As for the reference to the maritime heritage, that is clearly indicating ship design in some way. Either some mast type structure or ships bow (just look at the Atlantic Tower Hotel) or maybe even the sea.
Dubai-Creek.jpg
blue-building-looks-like-bow-ship-photo-modern-house-polygon-house-prague-44906926.jpg

Then we have to look at the architects work itself. Dan Meis is a renowned stadium architect. His primary style seems to be using multi faceted shapes consisting of various materials (Mainly Glass and Aluminium) that intersect at different angles, like this UNLV stadium and the award wining Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati.
8004309-10-4.jpg
GettyImages-51377308.jpg

And yes he has used brick in his designs...

"Views from the stadium - and of the stadium - will be among the most captured and shared in the Football World."
"We are providing an Iconic new home for our fans".
"Meis has presented the club with outline concept designs"

Views from the Stadium? Does this mean a glass wall? Or glass walled stand facing the Mersey? Interesting. Plus all that other stuff about "the most captured and shared in the football world" and "iconic new home" are massive claims. It must be something really "out there" in terms of design and not like any other ground in the UK.

So putting the evidence together what do we have. Not a bowl. Not a Rectangle. Something with plenty of glass, maybe a glass wall or walls. Intersecting shapes made with aluminium and blue cladding, possibly some sort of mast like structure and dock red bricks at the base.
ny_jets_2.jpg
ny_jets_3.jpg
ny_jets_5.jpg

The above images are from a design study made by Dan Meis for the New York Jets that was never built. It has many of the characteristics typical in a Meis design and is my favourite by far of all of his. I'm not saying the new stadium is going to look like this, but something along the lines of this with the design elements and materials mentioned above would certainly come under the "Iconic" and "break the mould" banner.

What do you think?

The current stadium discussion thread has become so negative, repetitive and boring with endless pages of argument and counter argument around all sorts of subjects such as council funding, running tracks, smells, timing, capacity and even whether we should move to a new stadium at all. While I agree that these are all valid points, they have been covered to death, I just want to concentrate on one, the Stadium design itself.
If we work from the position that the Stadium is definitely going ahead, the biggest question I assume most of us want answered is "What is it going to look like". Well, far from having no idea, I believe we have been given a number of clues by these direct quotes from EFC and the Architect himself. Let's have a look.
"The new stadium will break the mould and will not be predictable and formulaic like other recently built grounds"
"He want's to do something that's different"
"Overall we just felt that a lot of the stadiums we visit now are a bit predictable and we wanted to challenge that"

Already we can see from these quotes it wont be any variation on the Emirates bowl shape or Dortmund's 4 sided style.
View attachment 45104 View attachment 45105

"Our Designs must respect the heritage and culture of the city's Northern Docks"
"We will respect our Maritime heritage"

So what does this mean? It looks like the possibility that docks red brick may be included in the design. This will also compliment the Hydraulic tower. It may even mean some architectural reference to the dock buildings themselves. View attachment 45108
As for the reference to the maritime heritage, that is clearly indicating ship design in some way. Either some mast type structure or ships bow (just look at the Atlantic Tower Hotel) or maybe even the sea.
View attachment 45112 View attachment 45113
Then we have to look at the architects work itself. Dan Meis is a renowned stadium architect. His primary style seems to be using multi faceted shapes consisting of various materials (Mainly Glass and Aluminium) that intersect at different angles, like this UNLV stadium and the award wining Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati.
View attachment 45115
View attachment 45114
And yes he has used brick in his designs...

"Views from the stadium - and of the stadium - will be among the most captured and shared in the Football World."
"We are providing an Iconic new home for our fans".
"Meis has presented the club with outline concept designs"

Views from the Stadium? Does this mean a glass wall? Or glass walled stand facing the Mersey? Interesting. Plus all that other stuff about "the most captured and shared in the football world" and "iconic new home" are massive claims. It must be something really "out there" in terms of design and not like any other ground in the UK.

So putting the evidence together what do we have. Not a bowl. Not a Rectangle. Something with plenty of glass, maybe a glass wall or walls. Intersecting shapes made with aluminium and blue cladding, possibly some sort of mast like structure and dock red bricks at the base. View attachment 45117 View attachment 45118 View attachment 45120
The above images are from a design study made by Dan Meis for the New York Jets that was never built. It has many of the characteristics typical in a Meis design and is my favourite by far of all of his. I'm not saying the new stadium is going to look like this, but something along the lines of this with the design elements and materials mentioned above would certainly come under the "Iconic" and "break the mould" banner.

What do you think?

I hope he doesn't forget to put the pitch inside the stadium unlike the top pic

Just joking of course mate ;)

It will be interesting to see ( if we ever get the chance) if the design is similar to a lot of the things you have mentioned mate.

It's having just the one big home end rather than two.

Some, maybe all will be tiers that overlap each other as that's the only way you can have it on top of the pitch as he says.

Main Stand overlooks the Mersey so will be the largest stand.

So four distinct stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.