New Everton Stadium Discussion

I know this has been discussed before and dismissed as not viable but does anybody think a ferry terminal could be built at BMD? I know it wouldn't move too many fans in the great big scheme of it but what a way to arrive and depart. With the building of new ferries now back on the agenda I think it should be looked at again. There are opportunities for river cruises on a non-match day with a meal or similar at BMD. The other big plus is that it would be a huge boost for the much anticipated Ten Streets area and really speed up its development. It's a no brainer for me. I can't believe it would cost that much relative to the huge benefits it would bring for EFC, BMD and the local area.
I think the Pier Head is close enough, what the ferries do need to do though is cash in on this, there is loads of land around Seacombe Ferry, derilict brownfield, they could easily have a big park and ride thing going on and no need for anyone (within reasn) to be traveling from the Wirral/Wales all the way over.
I do wonder if this is why Seacombe Ferry have just rebuilt the landing stage there, ease traffic in town too, it makes a lot of sense.
Not that there are huge numbers coming over, but enough to make it viable to shedule ferries around games, even night games, in the 80s they used to run till about 11, but as mentioned above the loss of the bu terminals took away most of the footfall

This is a fantastic idea and concept I would love to use it and make the match day experience special.
Just a few clouds though 1) Drunken (etc) football fans on water 2) Winter weather 2) Home and away fans together on a ferryboat
But as I say a great idea and even on non match days as an integral part of the Stadium tour package
Access into/out of Princes Dock is via a lock also. You'd be practically at the stadium walking by the time you got through that. Couple of low bridges too.

The ferries are mainly a tourist attraction nowadays and only a token public transport system in reality. They have struggled and declined since merseyrail was reinstated, all bus terminals were taken from each of their landing stages and of course the increased car ownership and use of the tunnels. The other issue is that usually no new public transport provision can be easily justified for a fortnightly event venue alone. There would need to be a massive increase in daily demand to/from that area. If the whole Liverpool waters scheme was to reach the levels of the initial proposals (it would probably need to be the size of Canary Wharf), and there was a major rethink of how we use the ferries to spread new connections along both waterfronts (which i think might be under consideration), then perhaps a new terminal north of the Pier Head might be viable. At 800+ capacity each, they would be a very handy addition to the public transport provision for the site. A turnaround of say 2-3 ferries per hr could mean a lot of cars off the road on matchdays. I think the club might have to be proactive in its funding though.

Yes. I know all of that,Tom. But just for once wouldn't it be nice for us romantics to win out over the bean counters and the nay sayers and the wet blankets? Sure there is a tab to pick up and it wouldn't be cheap. But think of how priceless and unique it would be. A football stadium with its own ferry. Iconic.

Last edited:
I think the Pier Head is close enough, what the ferries do need to do though is cash in on this, there is loads of land around Seacombe Ferry, derilict brownfield, they could easily have a big park and ride thing going on and no need for anyone (within reasn) to be traveling from the Wirral/Wales all the way over.
I do wonder if this is why Seacombe Ferry have just rebuilt the landing stage there, ease traffic in town too, it makes a lot of sense.
Not that there are huge numbers coming over, but enough to make it viable to shedule ferries around games, even night games, in the 80s they used to run till about 11, but as mentioned above the loss of the bu terminals took away most of the footfall

For the record, if you got on a ferry at Birkenhead and got off at the Pier Head you would scarcely be any closer to BMD than when you got on. In the case of Wallasey, you'd probably be further away. BMD is 1.5 from the Pier Head/30 minutes walk.

I know this has been discussed before and dismissed as not viable but does anybody think a ferry terminal could be built at BMD? I know it wouldn't move too many fans in the great big scheme of it but what a way to arrive and depart. With the building of new ferries now back on the agenda I think it should be looked at again. There are opportunities for river cruises on a non-match day with a meal or similar at BMD. The other big plus is that it would be a huge boost for the much anticipated Ten Streets area and really speed up its development. It's a no brainer for me. I can't believe it would cost that much relative to the huge benefits it would bring for EFC, BMD and the local area.
No . Keep the WOOLS out . Or at least make them swim

In current situation, have not got the heart
For the record, if you got on a ferry at Birkenhead and got off at the Pier Head you would scarcely be any closer to BMD than when you got on. In the case of Wallasey, you'd probably be further away. BMD is 1.5 from the Pier Head/30 minutes walk.

Yes, last Summer I walked it from James Street station.

15-20 minutes, dependent on age-fitness.

I would love to see someone attempt to walk the direct "shorter" route though.

Bob Latchford maybe?

Good luck to anyone who can walk that in 15 minutes. It's 25/30 minutes for me. I've timed myself. It's over 1.5 miles.

I am a pretty fit oldie in my 60's.

It was a lovely calm day, no winds blowing down the Dock road.

We can't really claim it is a city centre location though can we?

Hopefully some sort of regular bus shuttle back into town.

Didnt realize it was that far, however 30minutes walk, it would still be a lot faster then tring to drive over, especially if you then have a 10 minute walk after parking

Saw this on Instagram today. It all looks so close from above...
20220325_142951.jpg