New Everton Stadium Discussion

Man City are well known for exaggerating their attendances. The large pockets of empty seats are not an optical illusion. Police figures for actual attendances at the Etihad showed only 83% seat occupancy as opposed to official figures of 96%.

Remarkable really given that Greater Manchester is 3 times as big as Merseyside with a population of 5 million as they're always trying to tell us. Oh, and everyone over there has a really good job, too of course. :)

Remarkable really given that Greater Manchester is 3 times as big as Merseyside with a population of 5 million as they're always trying to tell us. Oh, and everyone over there has a really good job, too of course. :)
Add in the fact they used to get 95k for games v Chesterfield in Div 3 (provided you listen to older city bores) it's very odd they hardly ever fill the current stadium.

I know this has been discussed before and dismissed as not viable but does anybody think a ferry terminal could be built at BMD? I know it wouldn't move too many fans in the great big scheme of it but what a way to arrive and depart. With the building of new ferries now back on the agenda I think it should be looked at again. There are opportunities for river cruises on a non-match day with a meal or similar at BMD. The other big plus is that it would be a huge boost for the much anticipated Ten Streets area and really speed up its development. It's a no brainer for me. I can't believe it would cost that much relative to the huge benefits it would bring for EFC, BMD and the local area.

I know this has been discussed before and dismissed as not viable but does anybody think a ferry terminal could be built at BMD? I know it wouldn't move too many fans in the great big scheme of it but what a way to arrive and depart. With the building of new ferries now back on the agenda I think it should be looked at again. There are opportunities for river cruises on a non-match day with a meal or similar at BMD. The other big plus is that it would be a huge boost for the much anticipated Ten Streets area and really speed up its development. It's a no brainer for me. I can't believe it would cost that much relative to the huge benefits it would bring for EFC, BMD and the local area.
Buy 10 narrow boats and ferry people from the Albert Dock, past the 3 graces and into the Nelson dock. Drinks on board and some food. Get some music playing and make it a return ticket.

Absolutely no idea of the finances, but seems like it would be sound. Alternatively, simple water taxis like what they have in Leeds might be quite cool.

The ferries are mainly a tourist attraction nowadays and only a token public transport system in reality. They have struggled and declined since merseyrail was reinstated, all bus terminals were taken from each of their landing stages and of course the increased car ownership and use of the tunnels. The other issue is that usually no new public transport provision can be easily justified for a fortnightly event venue alone. There would need to be a massive increase in daily demand to/from that area. If the whole Liverpool waters scheme was to reach the levels of the initial proposals (it would probably need to be the size of Canary Wharf), and there was a major rethink of how we use the ferries to spread new connections along both waterfronts (which i think might be under consideration), then perhaps a new terminal north of the Pier Head might be viable. At 800+ capacity each, they would be a very handy addition to the public transport provision for the site. A turnaround of say 2-3 ferries per hr could mean a lot of cars off the road on matchdays. I think the club might have to be proactive in its funding though.

This is a fantastic idea and concept I would love to use it and make the match day experience special.
Just a few clouds though 1) Drunken (etc) football fans on water 2) Winter weather 2) Home and away fans together on a ferryboat
But as I say a great idea and even on non match days as an integral part of the Stadium tour package

The ferries are mainly a tourist attraction nowadays and only a token public transport system in reality. They have struggled and declined since merseyrail was reinstated, all bus terminals were taken from each of their landing stages and of course the increased car ownership and use of the tunnels. The other issue is that usually no new public transport provision can be easily justified for a fortnightly event venue alone. There would need to be a massive increase in daily demand to/from that area. If the whole Liverpool waters scheme was to reach the levels of the initial proposals (it would probably need to be the size of Canary Wharf), and there was a major rethink of how we use the ferries to spread new connections along both waterfronts (which i think might be under consideration), then perhaps a new terminal north of the Pier Head might be viable. At 800+ capacity each, they would be a very handy addition to the public transport provision for the site. A turnaround of say 2-3 ferries per hr could mean a lot of cars off the road on matchdays. I think the club might have to be proactive in its funding though.

I think the original Liverpool Waters would have been akin to Canary Wharf. Now it's probably not even going to be equal to Salford Media City. Such is the impact of the heritage quangos. And Liverpool city council planners trying to keep Liverpool as a low level back water.