New Everton Stadium Discussion

Thank you for that - explains a lot.

One question - what are the internal specifications you had to comply with in the stadium? I can't make it out from the drawing - just see how the pitch moves.

Yeah, it's not that easy to see....for bigger version of the image click here ;)

Basically the West Stand will contain facilities for football (of the soccer variety lol). But additionally, a large chunk of the pitchside East and North stands will contain dedicated NFL facilities which they'll be in charge of designing and fitting out (and which they're paying for). That is two NFL sized locker rooms, their own media and press facilities to their spec, cheerleaders rooms, coaches rooms, player family lounge, NFL medical facilities, taping rooms and equipment stores, separate NFL 'tunnel club' (yeah yeah I know), separate NFL tunnel etc. That's one thing people misunderstand. The NFL aren't just renting from us, it's a genuine partnership, almost like two stadiums in one with Spurs' facilities in the West stand and NFL in the East.

The NFL have invested (so far) £10m into the project which is a drop in the ocean for them and that investment (small in the overall scheme) gave them a very good option for the future. For that money the stadium is kitted out to NFL spec (not just the dedicated field but all the internal facilitates they need - see ). We already have permission from the council to host the number of games needed for a full NFL season, so that's not an issue. In fact, there's no reason why an NFL team couldn't relocate to NWHL and that was almost certainly the NFL's plan with this partnership.

The Jaguars owner has never liked the idea of a franchise at our new stadium though - maybe because he also owns Fulham and doesn't want to do us any favours. He's gone on record about wanting a franchise to be at Wembley. I don't think anyone thought he felt this strongly though. Him buying Wembley surely changes the picture and I suspect will mean the NFL steps back from NWHL once our ten year contract with them is done. They've no need to be involved with the stadium side of things if this happens.

A smart and really ambitious move by Levy to get the NFL partnership signed off and to position the new stadium as first in line for a London team. But I don't think he could've reckoned on an NFL owner ACTUALLY BUYING WEMBLEY STADIUM (FFS!). :confused:

Can't see them selling so I reckon you will be safe.

I can
Money to pump into grass roots and they still have the option to rent it for games if they need.
The Jags owner also owns Fulham so he would be getting a massive stadium in London for them if they get PL and it’ll increase their revenue massively
Craven cottage is worth upwards of 200 m so that’s a nice deposit in Wembley

I can
Money to pump into grass roots and they still have the option to rent it for games if they need.
The Jags owner also owns Fulham so he would be getting a massive stadium in London for them if they get PL and it’ll increase their revenue massively
Craven cottage is worth upwards of 200 m so that’s a nice deposit in Wembley

If he uses it for NFL, footie couldnt be played there for about 4 months of the season apparently.

No, I dont understand why neither.

Artificial surface if allowed would allow both sports to be played there
Or they could use a hybrid pitch like Croke Park

Just a snippet I heard earlier mate. Either way, it seems mad selling it, even though I prefer England to play around the country, and its crap.

Just checked, and 17 play on artificial, 13 on real turf. I always thought it was on real grass.

I thought these days, they were pretty much all artificial.

I mean lets face it, once the ball hits the deck, the games stops anyrate, and they dont actually tackle each other as such. Could play it on a beach really.

Yeah, it's not that easy to see....for bigger version of the image click here ;)

Basically the West Stand will contain facilities for football (of the soccer variety lol). But additionally, a large chunk of the pitchside East and North stands will contain dedicated NFL facilities which they'll be in charge of designing and fitting out (and which they're paying for). That is two NFL sized locker rooms, their own media and press facilities to their spec, cheerleaders rooms, coaches rooms, player family lounge, NFL medical facilities, taping rooms and equipment stores, separate NFL 'tunnel club' (yeah yeah I know), separate NFL tunnel etc. That's one thing people misunderstand. The NFL aren't just renting from us, it's a genuine partnership, almost like two stadiums in one with Spurs' facilities in the West stand and NFL in the East.
In your opinion, do you think the NFL has taken off here (or will) to the extent that these type of facilities will justify their expenditure? It seemed to be not much more than a passing fad in the 80's.

For England, I thought the atmosphere was better when they were moving around the country whilst Wembley was being built, why have the national team play in the south east in the most expensive part of the country?
Selling Wembley could be a blessing, although not where the cup final would be played.

In your opinion, do you think the NFL has taken off here (or will) to the extent that these type of facilities will justify their expenditure? It seemed to be not much more than a passing fad in the 80's.

They seem to be filling Wembley and Twickenham a few times a year. Apparently there's 40k "season ticket" holders for London games in the UK. I don't care personally, every year I try watching the Superbowl, don't understand what's happening and fall asleep. But was more than happy with that it could've been extra revenue for us when we're not using the stadium and extra exposure for stuff like naming rights.

The NFL have invested (so far) £10m into the project which is a drop in the ocean for them and that investment (small in the overall scheme) gave them a very good option for the future. For that money the stadium is kitted out to NFL spec (not just the dedicated field but all the internal facilitates they need - see ). We already have permission from the council to host the number of games needed for a full NFL season, so that's not an issue. In fact, there's no reason why an NFL team couldn't relocate to NWHL and that was almost certainly the NFL's plan with this partnership.

The Jaguars owner has never liked the idea of a franchise at our new stadium though - maybe because he also owns Fulham and doesn't want to do us any favours. He's gone on record about wanting a franchise to be at Wembley. I don't think anyone thought he felt this strongly though. Him buying Wembley surely changes the picture and I suspect will mean the NFL steps back from NWHL once our ten year contract with them is done. They've no need to be involved with the stadium side of things if this happens.

A smart and really ambitious move by Levy to get the NFL partnership signed off and to position the new stadium as first in line for a London team. But I don't think he could've reckoned on an NFL owner ACTUALLY BUYING WEMBLEY STADIUM (FFS!). :confused:

I live in the States and watch a lot of the NFL, the notion an existing NFL franchise could ever move to the UK is so far from reality, it's bizarre how much British NFL fans actually think it's close to happening. I'm assuming you're a fan yourself so I don't need to begin to explain some of the issues that would need to be overcome, but there's more to it than just the times zones, or what the repercussions would be for a team that decided to totally dump on its existing American fan base to chase a new market in London. There's the tax situation for players who would have to live in the UK for at least 6 months of the year, and the completely uncharted territory of the same team playing every week in London - where's the evidence a team like the Jags could attract 60,000 fans for a 16 week season, or 80,000 at Wembley? Would 60k come out on a Monday night? Monday night football is huge in America, how would that work in the UK? What about Thursday night football? I think the NFL in the UK is still a fad for a lot of people, it's something trendy people go to for a slice of Americana on their doorstep. If there was a permanent UK franchise, wouldn't it lose its appeal? And another thing regarding the Jags, Khan has reaffirmed his commitment to Jacksonville multiple times; he's putting money into the stadium there. Part of the deal when he bought them was he didn't move them out of Jacksonville

I live in the States and watch a lot of the NFL, the notion an existing NFL franchise could ever move to the UK is so far from reality, it's bizarre how much British NFL fans actually think it's close to happening. I'm assuming you're a fan yourself so I don't need to begin to explain some of the issues that would need to be overcome, but there's more to it than just the times zones, or what the repercussions would be for a team that decided to totally dump on its existing American fan base to chase a new market in London. There's the tax situation for players who would have to live in the UK for at least 6 months of the year, and the completely uncharted territory of the same team playing every week in London - where's the evidence a team like the Jags could attract 60,000 fans for a 16 week season, or 80,000 at Wembley? Would 60k come out on a Monday night? Monday night football is huge in America, how would that work in the UK? What about Thursday night football? I think the NFL in the UK is still a fad for a lot of people, it's something trendy people go to for a slice of Americana on their doorstep. If there was a permanent UK franchise, wouldn't it lose its appeal? And another thing regarding the Jags, Khan has reaffirmed his commitment to Jacksonville multiple times; he's putting money into the stadium there. Part of the deal when he bought them was he didn't move them out of Jacksonville

I think they have a work around for the tax situation I remember reading something a while back by the head of the the NFL in the UK. I can't remember fully but I think the team would still be based in America to train etc. they would fly over like the away team the week before the game. They would have 2 or three home games on the bounce then fly back to have 2-3 weeks in America.

I expect it would have to be Sunday games only here due to the teams travelling over and then coming back, possibly as an away team in the US they could be on Mon/Thurs/Fri or even here if both teams have a bye weekend. The stadium would still sell out, even if it kicked off at silly o'clock. With 8 home games a season I don't see why they wouldn't sell out (or very nearly anyhow) seeing there has been as many as 4 in one season here and they all sold out. The issue is would the market get bored, they certainly wouldn't all be there supporting the Jags, they would go to see and support the away teams too and that's why after 4/5 seasons it might all fail when they get fed up of not having a true home crowd.