New Everton Stadium Discussion

A fella walks round the site every day now, inside and out, with a huge bird of prey.

Screenshot_20240327_172052_Chrome.jpg

?

All stadium architects say they've designed for atmosphere but invariably they're referring to whole stadium acoustics rather than "traditional home end" type acoustics. The distance to the roof and its geometry is often key. Spurs ticked the box with a large single tier "Kop" type home end. However, apart from the high central section, the bulk of the fans are far removed from any beneficial acoustic effect of the slightly upturned roof. So for the most part, it's essentially an open end.
I'm surprised they never opted for a modern larger version of their "shelf" rather than a Kop, because that is where the core of all the noise was from in their old stadium.
I thought that myself about the fans dipping away for the middle section of Spurs south stand.

It seem so obvious but Populous have designed it that way even though they say Daniel Levy was “obsessed” with making sure it had a great atmosphere.

I thought that myself about the fans dipping away for the middle section of Spurs south stand.

It seem so obvious but Populous have designed it that way even though they say Daniel Levy was “obsessed” with making sure it had a great atmosphere.

Populous said the same about Wembley. Yet, even with a running track the old Wembley was generally far better for creating a football atmosphere than the current one.

That said, they got it right with the Principality Stadium.

Populous said the same about Wembley. Yet, even with a running track the old Wembley was generally far better for creating a football atmosphere than the current one.

That said, they got it right with the Principality Stadium.

As you know the stadium on its own does not make any noise. Sure it can enhance but if the crowd is 6/10 it's never going suddenly jump to a 9 due to stadium technology - perhaps you gain a .5 at best. The supporters that went to Wembley back in the day were raucous and really enjoyed their day out, modern football fans just aren't the same. Those fans have been on the whole priced out and the prawn sandwich brigade have taken their places.

We have to also remember there is only 30k for each club now for FA cup finals, we'll never know what new Wembley could be if we could time machine the fans of the 86 final into it. 100k plus whoever else sneaked in which I'd imagine would have been plenty. Possibly you'll lose some noise from not being under that roof and having no tiers so everyone can see everyone else. However you would probably gain it back and more from the proximity to the pitch. There are stadiums that are better than others, more to the point there are fans better than others and that defines how good a stadium is.

Obviously there are complete outliers to the above, the millennium stadium
with a full roof is kind of a cheat code and at the other end a stadium like the London stadium is hardly conducive to helping the atmosphere. That can still even make a din but most of the times the fans are like meh.