New Everton Stadium Discussion

Anybody else notice from the latest drone videos the huge amount of tarmac they are putting down where the fan zone will be? As I understand it, that area will be cobbled eventually, so it must just be temporary to ensure vehicles entering the site for the next part of the build don't get stuck in the mud. So much attention to detail. Incredible, really.

I'm not so sure we have such a huge problem with an aging fan base. I am always amazed how many young people you see at GP. That's purely my own observation, obviously. Does anybody have stats relating to this? Do we know how we compare to other teams in this regard?
Yes it slightly surprises me to see so many young fans in our crowd and on the buses and trains to Goodison , The club have given advantageous terms to young fans in the past few seasons and it has worked. Just look at pictures of our crowds home and away and there's plenty of young fans.

I'm not so sure we have such a huge problem with an aging fan base. I am always amazed how many young people you see at GP. That's purely my own observation, obviously. Does anybody have stats relating to this? Do we know how we compare to other teams in this regard?

I can remember reading an article years ago saying the we had one of the highest average age fanbases.... but that was probably over 10yrs ago. Of course, aging fanbase and aging match-going fanbase is a slightly different thing. Full stadiums have meant that for many clubs, their average match-going fanbase age has continued to rise in recent years. It's become a ticking time bomb, with fewer and fewer young fans of some clubs being able to access or afford tickets, to what has essentially become a closed shop. We introduced very cheap kids tickets years ago and I like many others jumped on it making sure all my kids got tickets. Within a few years we filled our season ticket capacity... and we've had a waiting list ever since.... the point being that this was partly facilitated by our lack of success and our older average aged fanbase dropping of their perch.

when the roof goes on is there going to be a big tarpaulin put over the top to ensure the weather doesn't stop continued work in the stadium itself? lol

I would appreciate it if you didn't keep misquoting or misrepresenting me.

Also, in planning, space requirement is Vertical aswell as Horizontal. BMD has already had its height limited by the city planning office... if I remember rightly, it was because of the cluster of listed heritage buildings nearby. Those buildings aren't moving. That may or may not be negotiable in the future, hopefully it will be..... However, if it isn't, then any talk of "easy" expansion is entirely moot.

The waterway reinstatement isn't only aesthetic. Its reinstatement for continuous water access between adjacent docks along the network was a planning stipulation. It is also additional site flood protection for seasonal and future high tides in conjunction with the proposed raising of the inner quaysides.

Presumably the early studies you mention were superceded... hence why Colin Chong and Mo told shareholders 2 yrs ago that people-movement/circulation modelling for full compliance had been fairly tight at the current capacity. Maybe they just made it up to appease those of us questioning the 52k capacity.

Nowhere, have I said Anfield would be easy. I merely said in reference to the question of who will have the best stadium in the prem, that future-proofing was also a factor, since various others either are already or will almost certainly expand/modify further in the future including: Etihad, St James' and Anfield.... (and no doubt several others too).

However seeing as you've mentioned it.... why do you think LFC would be overly troubled by the prospect of acquiring 30-60 houses to expand the the Kemlyn, especially when they previously managed to clear over 300, including listed buildings? Even at a generous £250k each, 30-60 houses is just £7.5m - £15m. Less if LFC are still the leaseholders for Skerries Rd after they refurbished the properties. As has been shown, this hasn't been a great barrier thus far.

When I was saying that there was no capacity contraints in my last post, I was obviously referring to accessibility around St James's Park which can get to 60k+ with the of expansion at the Gallowgate end. The only capacity planning constraints at Anfield at present are with respect to transport and that has already been partially revised. As far as I'm aware, there are no specific capacity limitations with respect to the immediate site access/egress/evacuation by foot, with people able to leave in multiple directions.
Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to go back on each post to check where I have misquoted you. I apologise if I did. I also don't want to get too argumentative as I think these conversations are great. Apologies again if I did.

What I do feel though is the narrative you bring to this topic focuses on the restrictions/problems of BMD that you say is difficult to overcome, while your mindset for other grounds seems to be that far more difficult challenges in those stadiums could easily be overcome.

There is no reason to believe the current height limit of BMD would be sacrosanct. If my memory serves me right, the roof height was reduced slightly so the building would be considered 'mid-rise' and faces less scrutiny in the planning process. BMD already towers above everything apart from the Tobacco Warehouse, and is a unique structure, rather than one that needs to be of a scale that fits in with the character of neighbouring buildings. This should be far less an issue than re-aligning WBR behind the kop or buying all those houses. It's not really a matter of giving people a few quid to move out of their homes. It is a long, complicated process which would take years. By all accounts, LFC haven't even started that process nor have they signalled their intention to do so.

Can we finish the stadium, occupy it, sell it out and (hopefully) watch PL football in it before we dig ourselves in for trench warfare over capacity, facilities, acoustics etc.? We have opinions but none of us truly know at this point. Voice the opinions but admit the uncertainty and let’s not make it personal. Tom’s views are a useful counterpoint to the optimists.

Some of us argue that we should give new signings every support and opportunity to prove themselves in our shirt rather deciding before they are bought that they are inadequate. I feel just the same about BMD. Cautious optimism until I have concrete experience to the contrary. I don’t ‘know’ anything for certain but I choose this approach. Others can make different choices.

As a retired CFO I am more worried about the funding than the design tbh but that is another rabbit hole I choose not to go down until things are clearer with MSP and the future solution to the remaining funding gap.

I can remember reading an article years ago saying the we had one of the highest average age fanbases.... but that was probably over 10yrs ago. Of course, aging fanbase and aging match-going fanbase is a slightly different thing. Full stadiums have meant that for many clubs, their average match-going fanbase age has continued to rise in recent years. It's become a ticking time bomb, with fewer and fewer young fans of some clubs being able to access or afford tickets, to what has essentially become a closed shop. We introduced very cheap kids tickets years ago and I like many others jumped on it making sure all my kids got tickets. Within a few years we filled our season ticket capacity... and we've had a waiting list ever since.... the point being that this was partly facilitated by our lack of success and our older average aged fanbase dropping of their perch.

With such a high percentage of season tickets that demographic would just get older and older unless they get fed up and stop. Hopefully with the extra capacity it gives a lot of younger fans the chance to help bring that average age down.

The problem is football is so expensive nowadays you get almost two extremes, young people who work but live at home usually have a large disposable income and older people who have paid off their mortgages and the kids have grown up and moved out. The ones in-between kind of get squeezed.