New Everton Stadium Discussion

Once the seats go in and we have the reference visuals to see how massive this stadium is, all the premature honking about extending the stadium will hopefully stop.

It's massive. Extending the East or West stand would ruin the amazing roof. And reduce that Juve style intimacy. Let's be happy for what we are about to receive.

I don't think anyone is seriously advocating it, just more is it possible and how easy compared to other stadiums.

Received a call this morning from a lady at Everton regarding an enquiry I made around the hospitality packages a few months back. I was offered those in the £3,250 - £7,250 (plus VAT) bracket. Told her this was waaaay above my means! And I was only looking for like a premium bar with optional food. Anyway, she said they're still finalising those prices and they'll be available in a month or so's time and they'll invite me to a virtual seat viewing at the Liver building

An extension wouldn't provide more amenities, unless you are proposing a full stand rebuild, adding seats, with the design of BMD doesn't necessarily mean adding provision of amenities as the two structures are for all intents and purposes separate from each other from where the upper bowl rises above the brickwork. 'Simply' adding seats would require a partial destruction of all existing (or what would be existing) concourse areas, addition of another concourse level to provide these additional amenities you mention, leading to full roof structure remodel. Not to mention the piling that would be needed for the additional bowl structure.

Also, the canal isn't 'aesthetics' there is avital need for the waterway connection to be maintained in order to maintain teh living nature of the docks, and its inclusion in any design was a fundamental part of any agreement on both lease and planning. It may be be maintained as an underground connection if aesthetics aren't important, but the physical link must be maintained.

Even though we lease the land, we are still under the restrictions of the regional SRF (Strategic Regeneration Framework) that we were subject to as part of the planning.

As much as we might hate to admit it, from the moment that BMD is opened, Anfield would be easier, and less disruptive/destructive to expand further.
Everything you mention about increasing a stand size is universal to all stands. Why do you suggest it would be difficult in BMD where there is room to incorporate new designs, but easy in Anfield where there is no room to do the same?

Received a call this morning from a lady at Everton regarding an enquiry I made around the hospitality packages a few months back. I was offered those in the £3,250 - £7,250 (plus VAT) bracket. Told her this was waaaay above my means! And I was only looking for like a premium bar with optional food. Anyway, she said they're still finalising those prices and they'll be available in a month or so's time and they'll invite me to a virtual seat viewing at the Liver building
I'll be honest that's not that bad for hospitality in today's market. But Im Liking the sound of the premium bar though. Had that at chelsea when I went as a neutral bloody great day out.

Why don't we just call it the Merseyside Stadium? After all Liverpool nabbed the city's name and I still assert that it has been a huge part of their global outreach since the 1990s

Everything you mention about increasing a stand size is universal to all stands. Why do you suggest it would be difficult in BMD where there is room to incorporate new designs, but easy in Anfield where there is no room to do the same?
No it isn't, that's not true at all. There are a number of structural designs for stands or other buildings and each have their own intricacies.

Noting a suggestion above on using the Principality as a base case, the Principality stadium is built largely around Concrete cores forming the spine of the lateral stands, and these are the basis for the dissipation of the seating bowls structural loads. That allows for a level of cantilever required for tiers in that configuration, alongside a smaller steel structure that compliment the concrete support. We don't have that facility at BMD, where the dissipation of structural load relies on a steel substructure where support is supplied at specific points (piles attached to bedrock) rather than a large surface area of a concrete core. I would expect that the Principality Stadium is less susceptible to ground shift since its not built on sand.
The concourse areas contained with the 'separate' building undergo completely different forces to the seating bowl, from both usage and environment and are therefore treated separately in terms of both construction and structural support, one cannot rely on the other as in the Principality stadium and, actually, Goodison.

No it isn't, that's not true at all. There are a number of structural designs for stands or other buildings and each have their own intricacies.

Noting a suggestion above on using the Principality as a base case, the Principality stadium is built largely around Concrete cores forming the spine of the lateral stands, and these are the basis for the dissipation of the seating bowls structural loads. That allows for a level of cantilever required for tiers in that configuration, alongside a smaller steel structure that compliment the concrete support. We don't have that facility at BMD, where the dissipation of structural load relies on a steel substructure where support is supplied at specific points (piles attached to bedrock) rather than a large surface area of a concrete core. I would expect that the Principality Stadium is less susceptible to ground shift since its not built on sand.
The concourse areas contained with the 'separate' building undergo completely different forces to the seating bowl, from both usage and environment and are therefore treated separately in terms of both construction and structural support, one cannot rely on the other as in the Principality stadium and, actually, Goodison.
I don't mean that every stadium has the exact same considerations, I am referring to expansions of every stand having engineering and design challenges that need to be overcome. You seemed to suggest I was just saying to knock up another tier of seating without consideration for any other factors.

By all accounts there are even bigger engineering challenges involved in increasing the Gallowgate end. Anfield has far more complicated issues to overcome

I'm challenging the narrative that (in theory) it's easy to expand Anfield and St James but difficult/impossible to expand BMD. That is just simply not the case. and based on pure bias against the project.

Whatever happened to this thread? It used to be a place of joyful anticipation. Suddenly it's full of would be architects and structural engineers. 🤷‍♂️

In actual fact I'm really excited for BMD to open, and I agree with the strategy of sizing, in that if allowed, the increase in ratio will create a space even more akin to original Goodison, in being tight and loud.

The Everton Stadium name is just a placeholder until someone coughs up enough cash.
I wonder if ticketmaster are sniffing around the stadium naming rights.

The company is worth about 18 Billion, their annual revenue is around 700 million USD a year, a stadium naming deal is relatively small outlay for them.

It would sound pretty crap but they have the money for it.

Surely the South stand if any would be the easiest to increase and it would give it the "wave" look that Meis was advocating at first. Btw I'm not advocating this, just saying.

There is only so much land to increase the footprint there, yes you could peel back the roof perhaps leaving the truss that sits closest to the pitch and then angle something down from there but the South upper concourse has been built with a 1:1 ratio unlike the lower where there is safe standing and it all becomes a challenge.

I would say in terms of easiest it would be ordered North, East, West then South.