New Everton Stadium Discussion

If Croke Park in Dublin, in the city centre surrounded by housing, with a railway line at one end, and a railway and canal at the other end can be developed from a crap ageing stadium in the early 90s to a modern 80,000 capacity ground with excellent corporate and conference facilities, by an amateur sports organisation, then surely Everton can do something with Goodison.

Already been looked at a few years back by KEIOC http://www.keioc.net/index.php?page=croke-park

For those from the club who maybe reading this, KEIOC is still up and running!

One word ........ MEMBRANE.

images

AllianzArenaII.jpg

images

images

Kirkby wasn't state of the art back then & it certainly isn't now

Not a fan, myself. I think most of these will end up looking dated in a few decades. I'd want to go classic.

lambeau-field-joel-witmeyer.jpg

photoEscudo_Estadio_Azteca_head_azteca.jpg

Last edited:
Is it only me, but why do I always feel sad when a possible ground move is opted? Don't get me wrong, I fully realise the importance of new ground with regards to increasing future revenues, but the hopeless romantic in me for old grounds always has the upperhand.

Will cry the day when we ultimately leave Goodison Park. Things will never get better than the Grand Old Lady of English Football.

Couldn't agree more with you Dutch.

I can't imagine the atmospher of Goodison when it's roaring being achieved anywhere else. It's unique! Think of the Arsenal game and the way our great stadium imposes itself. The Arsenal players must have walked out of that narrow tunnel to Z-cars and a deafening wall of noise and known they were in for a game! That won't be replicated anywhere!

If Croke Park in Dublin, in the city centre surrounded by housing, with a railway line at one end, and a railway and canal at the other end can be developed from a crap ageing stadium in the early 90s to a modern 80,000 capacity ground with excellent corporate and conference facilities, by an amateur sports organisation, then surely Everton can do something with Goodison.

I would love any new stadium to be on the historic Goodison site and I like your comparison with Croker.

However.....

Goodison has a very tight footprint and would need to have large parts of or perhaps the whole stadium closed during construction, simply to allow machinery and other logistics the room to support the project.. My gut is that we would therefore need to play away from Goodison for a season while construction was going on. If this could be done to our satisfaction then fine. BTW Anfield was ours long before that shower!! :p

Clonliffe Road, Jones Road, NCR and Summerhill were far enough away from the construction works so that traffic was not affected while Croker was being rebuilt. Goodison Road, Gwladys St and Bullens Rd are right up against three sides of GP and there would be significant traffic issues during construction .

Croker only required capacity of 30,000 + on about 6-7 occasions at the most during construction, so e.g. while the Hogan was being rebuilt, there was ample capacity in the other 3 sides for most of the big games. The All Ireland hurling final was moved to Thurles in 1984.

Everton needs at least 36,000 capacity (av attendance 36for every home league game (19 times a season) plus Cup matches.. Shutting e.g. the Main Stand for a period of time, even if it was practical, would reduce capacity by 12600.

Anyway, good to hear that some movement has started again on our stadium's future. Reality must be kept to the fore at all times though!

I don't mind the Kirkby design. It would be good to have a single tier behind one of the goals. Very kopite, I know but It would be great to have a wall of sound! Still don't want to leave Goodison mind.

Both ends should be identical and for use of Evertonians only, no away supporters.

I like the idea of modern but with a retro look. If money was no object the designers could really go to town on that idea.
Would beat all those carbon copy tin sheds that they come up with now that have no soul!

Couldn't agree more with you Dutch.

I can't imagine the atmospher of Goodison when it's roaring being achieved anywhere else. It's unique! Think of the Arsenal game and the way our great stadium imposes itself. The Arsenal players must have walked out of that narrow tunnel to Z-cars and a deafening wall of noise and known they were in for a game! That won't be replicated anywhere!

Agree and the noise was immense. However watching it on satellite later and its very noticeable that the noise doesnt transfer very well onto tv.

Rubbish design done on the cheap and even the auditors Deloitte said it would have only earned us an extra 6 million per year.

Taking it out of the context of all of the additional development that would have had to be done, a new stadium for 80ish million for an extra 6 million a year is what, a 13-14 year payoff? That'd only be a fraction of the life of the stadium.

Also can probably assume that it would have lower maintenance costs than the Old Lady.