New Everton Stadium Discussion

The plans show a total of 5 access/egress points. The 2 existing gates you mention, plus 3 new ones.

Vehicles to be held back until pedestrians have largely cleared.

No. There's three side by side in the same cut through + the two gates at either end of the site.

The total size of the three central exits I'm not sure of in tems of metres, bit they dont look massive in comnparison with the existing gates.

Isn’t that 5?

What am I missing here?

You can have 3 small entrances / exits centrally and it be a problem if they're all about 3 metres wide...which is what they look like being from scale.

If you have any info on just how wide that middle section of the wall given over for access / egress I'd like to know it.

You can have 3 small entrances / exits centrally and it be a problem if they're all about 3 metres wide...which is what they look like being from scale.

If you have any info on just how wide that middle section of the wall given over for access / egress I'd like to know it.

Oh ok. Your “No” seemed to indicate I’d said something factually inaccurate. But I was just making the point that there’s 5 exits in the planning.

Sure, there could defo be an issue with egress if those exits are narrow. It’s a fairly simple bit of pedestrian modelling, but we’ll see. If there was a safety concern, they’d have to add exits or widen the planned ones.

Oh ok. Your “No” seemed to indicate I’d said something factually inaccurate. But I was just making the point that there’s 5 exits in the planning.

Sure, there could defo be an issue with egress if those exits are narrow. It’s a fairly simple bit of pedestrian modelling, but we’ll see. If there was a safety concern, they’d have to add exits or widen the planned ones.

The central dispersal point is in essence one...which is why I said "No".

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 19.10.36.png

It's 215 metres long the Regent Road Wall. The three openings in the wall are just over 7 metres each it looks to be. The gated entry points will be for vehicles I'd imagine, so I got that wrong. Apologies.

Whatever they all are I think we can take it as given that is not a great deal of space to funnel through 50,000+ people through post-match at a hell of a rate.

Not for nothing did the club's Design and Access paper describe the Regent Road Wall as "a constraint" of the location for its choice as stadium site.

Last edited:

View attachment 172996

It's 215 metres long the Regent Road Wall. The three openings in the wall are just over 7 metres each it looks to be. The gated entry points will be for vehicles I'd imagine.

Whatever they all are I think we can take it as given that is not a great deal of space to funnel through 50,000+ people through post-match at a hell of a rate.

Not for nothing did the club's Design and Access paper describe the Regent Road Wall as "a constraint" of the location for its choice as stadium site.

…I wonder what the width is of the streets around Goodison, possibly twice that but I’m happier that there are a number of exits onto the Dock Rd.

View attachment 172996

It's 215 metres long the Regent Road Wall. The three openings in the wall are just over 7 metres each it looks to be. The gated entry points will be for vehicles I'd imagine, so I got that wrong. Apologies.

I mean, you’re making 2 different arguments here; 1 around whether 3 exits is really 1, cos they’re close together, a second argument about the width of said exits.

The first point is daft in my mind. It’s 3 exits. Their proximity is not relevant. They’re 3 distinct exit points.

The 2nd point I think is a fair one, and well in for finding the width. Only time will tell whether it’s a problem, but you have to trust the modelling done on dispersal. Don’t you?

I mean, you’re making 2 different arguments here; 1 around whether 3 exits is really 1, cos they’re close together, a second argument about the width of said exits.

The first point is daft in my mind. It’s 3 exits. Their proximity is not relevant. They’re 3 distinct exit points.

The 2nd point I think is a fair one, and well in for finding the width. Only time will tell whether it’s a problem, but you have to trust the modelling done on dispersal. Don’t you?

I'm of the opinion that the issue will be revisted.

I can see how it wasn't the club's fault, btw. We cant blame them for trying to get this stadium built and having to get it past the conservationist groups.

I do see the need for historic preservation work too, but I think that can be done as well as allowing people out of the site efficiently.

I'd like to read more about the design and access issues. The documents were all on here. If anyone could link me to them I'd be obliged.

No. There's three side by side in the same cut through + the two gates at either end of the site.

The total size of the three central exits I'm not sure of in tems of metres, bit they dont look massive in comnparison with the existing gates.
Not sure that's right. My understanding is that there are three large openings proposed in the section of wall between the two existing gates. Two of them can be seen in this image from the Design and Access Statement.

Attachments

• 20220707_195125.jpg
    20220707_195125.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 89
I'm of the opinion that the issue will be revisted.

I can see how it wasn't the club's fault, btw. We cant blame them for trying to get this stadium built and having to get it past the conservationist groups.

I do see the need for historic preservation work too, but I think that can be done as well as allowing people out of the site efficiently.

I'd like to read more about the design and access issues. The documents were all on here. If anyone could link me to them I'd be obliged.

Yep, you could be right. I’ll trust the modelling and have faith that we’ve done our homework right. I’m no apologist for the mistakes of the club, but so far I’m of the opinion they seem to have got the design and build pretty much spot on.

Think this is the link re access etc. might not answer your questions, but think that’s the info out there.

Just been down to BMD today with the footy team on a training run.

We stopped at the exits in question and 15 of us stood side by side and we're not squashed and walked through all together(This included big George who has a 42 waist).

We were asked to leave by security quite quickly but I think this ends the debate.