New Everton Stadium Discussion

Isn't our lack of boxes due to it now being more popular to have "open area lounges"?

I believe Arsenal scrapped every lower tier box to do this.

I remember Colin Chong saying that at one of the the consultation sessions, but I'm not sure how much water that holds tbh. Spurs have 80 large boxes. Several clubs have over 100 and I think Arsenal has almost 150.... plus large corporate tiers too. Yes, some clubs have reduced their box numbers for various reasons, but I believe it's mainly to control prices of these facilities by reducing supply. However, most clubs will still have far more boxes than just 22, including several much smaller clubs than us. There may have also been an opportunity to exploit boxes as hotel rooms year round, as happens at several stadia.... especially in strong locations.

Have a missed something? We’ve gone from arguably one of the best grounds and locations in the country to a ground that is only slightly better than goodison in a few pages.
Surely you can understand the disappointment on here though. We were all expecting a state of the art, atmospheric cauldron of blue noise which would be a ground breaking phenomenon.

It's now sounding like they ditched the original plans and have settled for some cheaper alternative which would be a very slight improvement on Goodison In capacity and probably loses the atmosphere of Goodison. For me I'm pretty gutted but not surprised because this is what they do isn't it.

Surely if your going to build a new stadium that your expecting to last 100 years or so, your going to do the very best available worldwide at the time of building like Spurs have done. Now people are saying hopefully it will be nearly as good the Allianz stadium or comparing our next home end to the Aston Villa Holte end. Really?

One of the massive coups about wanting to stay up and going forward was this sparkling brand new state of the art stadium we are all desperate to move into. But with this new underwhelming news regarding the stadium it's made the future look pretty bleak and uninspiring.

Come on Everton strive for better for once

Surely you can understand the disappointment on here though. We were all expecting a state of the art, atmospheric cauldron of blue noise which would be a ground breaking phenomenon.

It's now sounding like they ditched the original plans and have settled for some cheaper alternative which would be a very slight improvement on Goodison In capacity and probably loses the atmosphere of Goodison. For me I'm pretty gutted but not surprised because this is what they do isn't it.

Surely if your going to build a new stadium that your expecting to last 100 years or so, your going to do the very best available worldwide at the time of building like Spurs have done. Now people are saying hopefully it will be nearly as good the Allianz stadium or comparing our next home end to the Aston Villa Holte end. Really?

One of the massive coups about wanting to stay up and going forward was this sparkling brand new state of the art stadium we are all desperate to move into. But with this new underwhelming news regarding the stadium it's made the future look pretty bleak and uninspiring.

I mean, I wouldn’t call a 25% increase in capacity “very slight”, but to each his own, I guess; and I don’t think anyone is in a position to say what the atmosphere will be like, given it hasn’t been built yet.

I must have missed something. What is this “new underwhelming news” that’s come out?

I mean, I wouldn’t call a 25% increase in capacity “very slight”, but to each his own, I guess; and I don’t think anyone is in a position to say what the atmosphere will be like, given it hasn’t been built yet.

I must have missed something. What is this “new underwhelming news” that’s come out?
Well it's not news as such but just information from reading other comments on here.

how the hell do people know how the atmosphere will be, this is new for us all and at the end of the day its up to us to make it great, i cant wait

What “underwhelming news”

Amateur architects on here with there unqualified views?

Behave.

It’s going to be [Poor language removed] boss.

I take issue with the percentage increase arguement. Because Goodison capacity has shrunk in real terms over the years we're on a smaller baseline than we should have. There is demand for tickets even when we are at this low eb in terms of status. I'd say the true reflection of demand is around 50000 right now.

That's the base line. When you add in the new stadium factor, better facilities, no obstructed views, waterfront I think there would be a further demand for going to watch Everton. That's before we even think about becoming successful again. Look at Arsenal, about 38000 at Highbury, up to 60000. Tottenham about 36000, up to 62000, West Ham same about 36000, up to 61000. I'm sure people will pour scorn on that saying they're London clubs bla bla. But even Sunderland and Bolton had big increases in attendance when they moved (and we're in top flight).

As for the stadium, It could be better. I don't know what it will look like when built but some of the graphics are so generic. But the earlier designs we're almost (almost, no overlapping stands, or a retractable roof!) spot on.
Shame they were scaled down.

I take issue with the percentage increase arguement. Because Goodison capacity has shrunk in real terms over the years we're on a smaller baseline than we should have. There is demand for tickets even when we are at this low eb in terms of status. I'd say the true reflection of demand is around 50000 right now.

That's the base line. When you add in the new stadium factor, better facilities, no obstructed views, waterfront I think there would be a further demand for going to watch Everton. That's before we even think about becoming successful again. Look at Arsenal, about 38000 at Highbury, up to 60000. Tottenham about 36000, up to 62000, West Ham same about 36000, up to 61000. I'm sure people will pour scorn on that saying they're London clubs bla bla. But even Sunderland and Bolton had big increases in attendance when they moved (and we're in top flight).

As for the stadium, It could be better. I don't know what it will look like when built but some of the graphics are so generic. But the earlier designs we're almost (almost, no overlapping stands, or a retractable roof!) spot on.
Overlapping stands would mean the lower tier would have to be further away from the pitch and a lot shallower.

The opposite of what is needed to create a Bear pit atmosphere.

Also, with a change in safe standing regulations the capacity can jump up to the late 50 - early 60k.

All on the same tight, intimate footprint. Which means - intimidating atmosphere.

The club have got it right.

There’s an argument for it being a bigger capacity, which has been well trodden over the preceding 5400 pages. But I wouldn’t call a 25% increase “very slight”, was my point.

And sure, it could be better. If we’d have spent a billion quid (as spurs did), instead of 600m quid, we’d have got more for our money In terms of end product, but there’s plenty of people who are balking at us spending this much, so you’re never gonna please everyone, whichever road you take. Also take into account that c17% of our expenditure was just groundwork to get to a position where we could start the build.

Overlapping stands would mean the lower tier would have to be further away from the pitch and a lot shallower.

The opposite of what is needed to create a Bear pit atmosphere.

Also, with a change in safe standing regulations the capacity can jump up to the late 50 - early 60k.

All on the same tight, intimate footprint. Which means - intimidating atmosphere.

The club have got it right.
The safe standing in the Street End Lower has worked very well last few games.

Don’t think it was ever 60k. 52k was the figure reported well before Dan Meis’ first presentation in April 2018. The club know how many customer numbers there are and will have done their research on capacity. They will have factored in that every PL game will probably be on TV within a few years as well. You don’t want it looking like Wembley on League 2 play-off final day.

To some extent the choice of site has driven design compromises. The tight footprint N/S is an obvious restriction but the £100+m cost of site preparation is a lot more than an easier site meaning a c. £500+m stadium is closer to a £400m stadium in terms of design specifications and outfitting.

It is unrealistic to compare it to a £1bn Spurs stadium. Realistically no club outside of London could justify that sort of investment except possibly Man U.

Will it have advantages as well as disadvantages vs. Goodison? Yes. Is a 30% capacity increase and quadrupling of premium seating (a better measure than just boxes IMO) helpful? Yes. Will a new stadium in a strong location be a better commercial asset? Yes. Will we learn to love it? Hopefully!

Is it world class, cutting edge or league-leading? Not in specification, but perhaps we can make it so in atmosphere if we put our hearts and minds into it? That should surely be our mindset?