New Everton Stadium Discussion

Initially I liked Meis' enthusiasm for the club, our history and the whole idea of the new stadium.

But I think someone in a professional role and in his position really shouldn't be so loose on social media, or at the very least should separate their personal and business identities if they must use it.

There is something very off-putting about people being self-indulgent on Twitter and the likes. It certainly isn't appealing if you're looking to establish and maintain business relationships, and I'd go as far to see it as a red flag in a business context.

Who knows what is going on if anything, but he must know the implications of being deliberately vague when some people are hanging on his every word. He must know that.
Acting like a big baby and changing his twitter profile photo from the stadium site to something else doesn't help matters either.

Initially I liked Meis' enthusiasm for the club, our history and the whole idea of the new stadium.

But I think someone in a professional role and in his position really shouldn't be so loose on social media, or at the very least should separate their personal and business identities if they must use it.

There is something very off-putting about people being self-indulgent on Twitter and the likes. It certainly isn't appealing if you're looking to establish and maintain business relationships, and I'd go as far to see it as a red flag in a business context.

Who knows what is going on if anything, but he must know the implications of being deliberately vague when some people are hanging on his every word. He must know that.
Maybe Meis is a Trump multi??

what happened?
He changed his twitter background from the stadium to this:

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.06.37.png

Same difference. It can still be redesigned at that stage and not face the need for another PA.

LCC will be judging the feasability of a stadium, not particularly any design of it.
Wrong. On both counts. A major redesign of the kind you're on about would require a new planning application, and the council does get a say in the design (we had to alter our West entrance after the planning committee objected to its original design).

Not that it matters, BMD isn't getting a new design anytime soon unless I've missed something.

For an understanding of the process that has been happening at Everton, and some insight as to what Meis 'may' have been referring to, if it was even Everton related at all, then this document should help with some insight, or at least some direction for the supposition.

My thoughts.
We are moving into the build stage. During this stage the Main Contractor effectively becomes the client and with that, the focus changes. During stages 0-3, the lead designer (Meis) is end client (Everton) appointed and they will sit over the design team that will consist of, in our case, Sheppard Robson as local Architects, and Buro Happold as MEP and Structural & Civil consultants (there are more, but these are the key team). Meis will consult very closely with Everton to ensure that the design decisions suit the need and the brief is completed, a monstrous amount of work on a project of this scale.

Once this passes Planning permission it moves into the new stage. Laings have been appointed by the club to realise their vision, and through doing that they give them full autonomy and the ability to create their own team. they have the opportunity to Novate (transfer) the client team or to create their own. Now we know that Laings have employed Pattern Architects as the Technical Architect, and I suspect that Buro Happold have been novated. The end Client cant be unprotected though, so will have a team working on their side to ensure that they aren't screwed over and that any changes are reasonable and within brief. If the original team aren't novated by the Main Contractor, then often they will stay on, but not always, and maybe this could be where any friction lies.

Two things to finish on though. There is no evidence available whatsoever that Meis was referring to anything Everton, but IF he was and he is off the project, so what. The only thing it affects is the continued inflation of his company coffers.

Wrong. On both counts. A major redesign of the kind you're on about would require a new planning application, and the council does get a say in the design (we had to alter our West entrance after the planning committee objected to its original design).

Not that it matters, BMD isn't getting a new design anytime soon unless I've missed something.
Liverpool ditched their 'futuristic" design for a Stanley Park stadium - accepted in 2007 by LCC - and announced a new design in 2012 which didn't face a fresh PA process. It never went ahead, obviously, but that's what happened.

For an understanding of the process that has been happening at Everton, and some insight as to what Meis 'may' have been referring to, if it was even Everton related at all, then this document should help with some insight, or at least some direction for the supposition.

My thoughts.
We are moving into the build stage. During this stage the Main Contractor effectively becomes the client and with that, the focus changes. During stages 0-3, the lead designer (Meis) is end client (Everton) appointed and they will sit over the design team that will consist of, in our case, Sheppard Robson as local Architects, and Buro Happold as MEP and Structural & Civil consultants (there are more, but these are the key team). Meis will consult very closely with Everton to ensure that the design decisions suit the need and the brief is completed, a monstrous amount of work on a project of this scale.

Once this passes Planning permission it moves into the new stage. Laings have been appointed by the club to realise their vision, and through doing that they give them full autonomy and the ability to create their own team. they have the opportunity to Novate (transfer) the client team or to create their own. Now we know that Laings have employed Pattern Architects as the Technical Architect, and I suspect that Buro Happold have been novated. The end Client cant be unprotected though, so will have a team working on their side to ensure that they aren't screwed over and that any changes are reasonable and within brief. If the original team aren't novated by the Main Contractor, then often they will stay on, but not always, and maybe this could be where any friction lies.

Two things to finish on though. There is no evidence available whatsoever that Meis was referring to anything Everton, but IF he was and he is off the project, so what. The only thing it affects is the continued inflation of his company coffers.
Thanks Jacko.

Mate dont waste your time. davek has complaints and conspiracies about everything. In his world water isn't wet.

Liverpool ditched their 'futuristic" design for a Stanley Park stadium - accepted in 2007 by LCC - and announced a new design in 2012 which didn't face a fresh PA process. It never went ahead, obviously, but that's what happened.

That design was probably close enough to the original - which already had planning permission from 2003 - not to require a whole new application. I thought you were talking about the idea of a more major redesign. e.g. the H&G futuristic design needed a new PA even though it was on the same site as the original Stanley Park design. And our new stadium needed a whole new PA when it redesigned from its 2009 design.

EDIT: yes, the clue is in the headline...

Last edited:

I said this about a year ago on here and got slated.

All stuff like the Everton tattoo and his apparent new found "love" for the club was pure pantomime.

At the end of the day he's still crediting himself with two stadiums that haven't been built.