New Everton Stadium Discussion

I think the reality may be slightly different.
I can see people returning in greater number to what is "safe" and local.

I think the numbers going on skiing holidays will reduce as well as the holidays to Tenerife and Lanzarote and further flung more exotic places even more so.
I can see support for local activities and in particular local sporting activities increasing. In time a cure for this virus will be discovered and that should certainly be before the start of season 21/22 but we will also see those involved in sport adapt and change to manage the situation as well as they can even before then.
I think at the moment the big clubs with the big cost and big income from every game are really getting hammered.
I think Utd earn about 4m from each game, Liverpool over 3m whereas Everton earns less than 1m.
Add to that the mechandise sales for the really big sellers which must have fallen off a cliff in recent weeks.
Attendances will be hit, we have one of the poorest fanbases hence why tickets are priced so low, when the stadium opens they will have to be even lower or else you are going to have empty seats

It will also be interesting to see how coronavirus has affected the interest rates bank charge.

Interest have dropped from an already low base and will certainly be kept low to try to encourage economic activity.
Interest rates would only be increased as a tool to halt inflation or a market that was overheating... both possibilities are remote at this point.

This will show just how willing our owners are to put in money. In normal circumstances owners would walk away from a project like this during an economic disaster, the issue is for our owners doing that means they may lose the last chance of building something iconic on the waterfront.

Our stadium was never going to pull in tens of millions more from standard paying supporters unless we substantially increased prices and seeing we are only going up by 13k unlike Arsenal/Spurs who increased by 20+ thousand with higher prices making each seat count for more. The extra premium seating and naming rights will probably make the exercise cost neutral or we'll have a few million more each season. Imho we were building the stadium to increase the value of the club not to make it a game changer in terms of making money to plough into the club. We have seen how they used the primary bidder money to help with FFP rules, so it could be to do with that, if they have flexible naming rights within the USM umbrella they could always tweak the contracts to comply if required.

If we continue with the build then I'll be even more sure that our owners are not here for the giggles.
The landscape has now changed, how many projects will now be cancelled on the Liverpool waters project. The idea initially was for the stadium to be built first and then other projects to come forward on the docks

How many banks will lend 300m+ in the current climate and at what interest rate.

Then you talk about the value of the club, 500m + moshiris investment so far = 800m+.
Who will buy the club for that sort of money when you have Newcastle going for 300m

The landscape has now changed, how many projects will now be cancelled on the Liverpool waters project. The idea initially was for the stadium to be built first and then other projects to come forward on the docks

How many banks will lend 300m+ in the current climate and at what interest rate.

Then you talk about the value of the club, 500m + moshiris investment so far = 800m+.
Who will buy the club for that sort of money when you have Newcastle going for 300m
You can’t answer any of the questions you have raised. In other words you haven’t a clue.

none, they’re still going ahead

Regarding your last point. It seems like a lot does depend on your "hidden" backer being able to somehow flout the rules and be able pay more than its real value for a stadium sponsorship deal (or FFP gets abolished?)

This is the weirdest thing about the whole development, because FFP does not include stadium development costs! If the club's backer wanted to put £500m towards the stadium why not just become part of the ownership and do it? Instead the club's backer is going for this convulted naming rights deal, which could easily be deemed illegal if it's way above market value. It seems such a weirdly unnecessary risk if he wants to put big chunks of cash into the development anyway. Why not just come on board as owner and fund it? Or is this all tied up with the fact he doesn't want to sell his shares in Woolwich?

Even more bizarre in that case

Tis.

No one knows for sure why, but all we can do is look at what has actually happened, put 2 and 2 together, and hope we get 4. Or close enough.

There is one theory that started life 4 years ago as a "maybe its the dock development" reason for Moshiri to pop up here. Literally, just a musing.

But over the years, small things have happened that kinda lent some credence to it, the latest, (last?) being Usmanoz flogging his Arsenal shares to Kronke. (Of all people).

This is the weirdest thing about the whole development, because FFP does not include stadium development costs! If the club's backer wanted to put £500m towards the stadium why not just become part of the ownership and do it? Instead the club's backer is going for this convulted naming rights deal, which could easily be deemed illegal if it's way above market value. It seems such a weirdly unnecessary risk if he wants to put big chunks of cash into the development anyway. Why not just come on board as owner and fund it? Or is this all tied up with the fact he doesn't want to sell his shares in Woolwich?
If he's not officially on board then the naming rights deal can't be deemed illegal. That could only happen if it was seen as the owner circumnavigating the rules by inflating the price. It can't be deemed illegal for another company to offer a huge amount for the naming rights, it's entirely a commercial decision for that company what value they attach to the deal. Not saying it's what's happening, just clarifying why that wouldn't be an issue.

It's all pure guesswork at the moment isn't it? We don't know how much of an impact this is going to have yet, it's possible that attendances won't even go down, nevermind need time to build back up. Attendances continued to go up despite a huge economic downturn a decade or so ago, and - rightly or wrongly - people often find the money to do things they like to do from somewhere. Just look at how many people who appear to be in financial difficulty are able to find £30 a week to spend on smoking for example. It's not a given that football is going to implode, not by a long shot.
I like your analogy there. Quite inspired.

Binman, thanks for replying, good post.

Regarding your last point. It seems like a lot does depend on your "hidden" backer being able to somehow flout the rules and be able pay more than its real value for a stadium sponsorship deal (or FFP gets abolished?)

The point about to then hope that the club somehow becomes successful "like Chelsea" and then will be able to get more outside sponsorship coming in.
Are you saying to get there the same way Chelsea did by spending 100's of millions?
Again, at the moment this would have to be done through either trying to get through dodgy sponsorship deals or FFP being abolished.
It makes buying all the players needed at the same time of paying off the stadium project just that bit harder to get through.

Thanks again for the reply ;).

EDIT; Sorry, I forgot to link your post.

Yes I don't think it particularly works without a backer, we could get a long term low interest loan and if that did come to pass I expect we would be in the same position as we are now without inflated naming rights. The extra income generated would just be paying off the mortgage. Better in the longterm obviously but it wouldn't make a difference (or much of one) now.

As for updating the playing side to any decent level to then hope to pull in high value commercial deals, you are right we have to bend the rules or hope FFP is suspended or taken away altogether. We presumably got Carlo with promises of funds so it will be interesting to see what happens. You couldn't really blame them for parking one project either the stadium or investment in the team, other clubs might do none of the above while things are like they are. As I have said before this will be a real barometer to how much ambition (& funds) we have.

I'm sure like most clubs our owners would rather do this by buying smart, with good scouting getting the player cheaply and then selling on for a good profit and then having more to spend. Much like you guys did with Bale and the RS with Suarez and Coutinho. We ballsed up when we had our income from Stones and Lukaku and did our best to waste it all. Whether we can spend hundreds of millions now without selling say a Richarlison is up in the air and that is taking FFP out of the equation.

AmazingRecklessCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

If he's not officially on board then the naming rights deal can't be deemed illegal. That could only happen if it was seen as the owner circumnavigating the rules by inflating the price. It can't be deemed illegal for another company to offer a huge amount for the naming rights, it's entirely a commercial decision for that company what value they attach to the deal. Not saying it's what's happening, just clarifying why that wouldn't be an issue.

Think you're wrong there. Any revenue within FFP has to be deemed at fair market value, not seen as a fiddle. As I said, stadium build costs are outside of that equation, so owners can plough as much money in as they want to. Naming rights aren't outside of it though.

I'm not pre-empting anything, but it just seems weird that that risk is being taken when there's a completely risk-free way of putting loadsa money into the development.