New Everton Stadium Discussion

The Independent article makes out we're living in cloud cuckoo land including fantasies like a new cruise terminal in the plans. Whereas these are actually pre existing plans from Peel Holding's Liverpool Waters Scheme, that if I'm not mistaken have already gone through outline planning and are just waiting for something like BMD to kick start the development. Why don't these journalists do some proper research before going to print.

I do feel a bit sorry for some of the pubs in the area that probably are only kept open by the increased revenue they take in on match days. Some will inevitably close as the area will not be able to support the current number of pubs, but this will only mirror what has been happening in all other parts of the city (and the country as a whole) over the last 15 years or so. This is unfortunate, but I'm sure the loss of jobs will be more than made up by the redevelopment of Goodison plus the added benefit brought from the new affordable housing etc.

What both articles seem to ignore is that the whole North Docks area comprises run down old docks and wasteland. BMD in itself will bring in much needed permanent jobs and prosperity to the area, plus infrastructure such as improved roadworks, potential new rail station and ferry terminal. But it will also, as mentioned earlier, kick start a potential £10/15bn development over the next 25 years. Just an idea of the scale of this is that the whole Liverpool1 development was less than a billion.

To be honest I have no idea whether previous clubs plans for new grounds have come under the same sort of scrutiny from the press. But even if they had, I think these articles aimed at Everton are still completely wide of the mark. No other club does more for the community and I don't recall the sites of old grounds like Roker Park, Highbury, Whitehart Lane, Upton Park, The Dell, Burnden Park, Maine Road etc being used to serve the local community in the way Goodison will be. Plus how can anybody see the redevelopment of run down waste ground as anything but positive.

I'm not normally one to say this, but I can only assume that the writers of these articles are people with an axe to grind with Everton, possibly RS supporters who are allowing their envy of BMD to impinge on their day job.

Exactly this.

In a nut shell - we're causing a billion pound investment in a barren brownfield site which will ignite a potential £25bn investment in the Liverpool waters scheme over the next couple of decades.

Whilst at Goodison, we will be ensuring the local community will be left with a sustainable legacy - when to be honest, we've already done more than any club has with the investment in the EITC centres they've built.

I know I should be working hard but this one struck me as I was scanning Building magazine (work related). My initial thoughts were that WHS status wouldn't be an issue at all and that Boris' government would be too busy dealing with Brexit so call in a new stadium planning application. Also what message does it send if we are binning off Europe to then let another bunch a even less elected quango types to interfere with the mighty UK and its independent march to world glory. Maybe the developers just haven't greased the right alms yet.

In short housing Minister rejects planning appeal due to Kew Gardens WHS concerns. Fuel for @davek fire no doubt.

Great write up in the mirror at the weekend.

'And when the grand old team finally ups sticks, it will feel like the end of an era - not just for Everton, but for the English game'

Attachments

• efc.png
    efc.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 245
Great write up in the mirror at the weekend.

'And when the grand old team finally ups sticks, it will feel like the end of an era - not just for Everton, but for the English game'
True that last line, I've heard United fans for example saying its one of the last few tradition aways days coming to Goodison, everywhere else is match day experience for tourists. Once this has gone there wont be much left in the top flight anyway that has a historical feel to it.

Only just seen the designs. Broadly it looks good. But if atmosphere is one of key objectives then there's too many breaks in the seating. I can count a dozen large gangways and Exits in the lower half of the home end alone. There appear to be six exits only 3 or 4 rows from the front. Hardly going to generate intensity or intimidation. There should be solid blocks of seating in the sections near to the pitch, as at Gwladys St.
Just one other observation on atmosphere, there seems to be bigs gaps between the seating and the roofing on all four sides.

Just one other observation on atmosphere, there seems to be bigs gaps between the seating and the roofing on all four sides.

Suspect the gaps are just because there are basic images. In reality the metallic roof will be in place (and needs to be cos of the wind).
In podcasts in the last week Meis has been saying he wants the roof close to the seating bowl unlike some other new builds.

Whilst Meis is still in town, he needs to knock up a roof on that Liverpool one shopping mall.

Torrential rain and gale force winds for 362 days of the year, and they thought it was kosher to have it open to the elements.

Looks really good on the outside.
Hope its not all plastic and concrete and 'spacious' on the inside,
Want that huddled together feel and natural looking elements to it.

Maybe they use bricks for the steps between seating.
And wooden handrails

Meh, there seems to be a negative spin on the stadium from the press that hasn't been there for any other club's new stadium build.

My biggest gripe is that these articles (including that embarrassment of a paddy power article) avoid all reality about how private sector business works. Why shouldn't companies profit from building the new stadium and goodison legacy?

Good point about the negative spin. When Chelsea released their (now shelved) designs for Stamford Bridge I don't recall anything particularly negative - despite Chelsea being the epitome of how football clubs have become play things of the rich and profit opportunities for businesses, separated from the communities that created and sustained them before the Sky era.